• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington Station 24/7 - Channel 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Presumably those travellers were getting paid to get rid of other people's junk knowing that NR was going to end up with the bill. :{

I know! Talk about everything bar the kitchen sink, I think the dumped that and then some, the sheer volume of rubbish beggared belief.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GodAtum

On Moderation
So, did the BASRE signalling project improve anything? By my experience GWR still have constant signalling issues.

JN114

Established Member
So, spend millions of pounds to make the trains go more slowly. Excellent.

Lesser of 2 evils under current design standards. Too many changes to signalling layout to permit grandfathering prior derogations onto new layout.

Requeststop

Just finished watching the latest Paddington 24/7. A couple of things. Overcrowded trains and passengers wanting to get the service and running for the trains. This is something I've seen often at terminus stations in London and elsewhere, during my infrequent visits to the UK. The problem is that the announcement of the platforms that the trains are departing from is delayed until at the very least 5 minutes before departure. There have been times that I have been at a station and I see the departure boards regularly and dutifully indicating that the train going to going to station XXX at XX;XX hours, will be calling at AAA, BBB, CCC, DDD, etc etc, that there is a buffet on board, reserved seats, first class is at, lets say the rear of the train and so on, but, no platform is indicated. Then with five minutes and sometimes less, (I've seen and experienced it) everyone is racing to the platforms, fumbling with baggage, tickets for the barrier (where the hell are they, I thought you had them etc) and racing down the platforms because suddenly CLICK, the platform number appears. 20 seconds later there is the public announcement.

So, especially on long distance trains, calling at many stops, people are going to rush to the platform gates, with their baggage, kids etc and will want to get on the train and het a seat and put their luggage down hopefully in the same carriage that are travelling in.

Than again, at the likes of Paddington, those heading to Reading, think they have the priority over passengers to Plymouth, Penzance, Swansea, and West Wales etc. They cram up the trains to the detriment of the long distance travellers.

Station staff ordering passengers not to run, and shouting at them at there is another train is an hour or two hours, uncourteously as we saw in the programme tonight, do themselves no good. Thee words "I'm Sorry but...." would help somewhat.

Credit to the lady who got the distressed woman into 1st Class.
Second Point: What was the rodent smoking? A pipe, cigar, reefer, Capstan Full Strength? I wonder each week.

londonbridge

Established Member
Earlier in the thread it was suggested there are twenty episodes, next week (BH Monday) is episode 10 but my Sky series link has dropped in a "next episode" link as well which says "current series recording ends 28/05/2018", so maybe they're splitting it in to two halves and taking a break. Although knowing Channel 5 if it's anything like the second half of NCIS: New Orleans season 3 (which they still haven't shown after blitzing through the first half with two episodes a week), we could be in for a long wait to see the rest of them.

rebmcr

Established Member
Earlier in the thread it was suggested there are twenty episodes, next week (BH Monday) is episode 10 but my Sky series link has dropped in a "next episode" link as well which says "current series recording ends 28/05/2018", so maybe they're splitting it in to two halves and taking a break. Although knowing Channel 5 if it's anything like the second half of NCIS: New Orleans season 3 (which they still haven't shown after blitzing through the first half with two episodes a week), we could be in for a long wait to see the rest of them.

The recent episodes have been very rapidly broadcast after the filming dates, they must also be able to choose whether to continue without much notice at all.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

That's a shame if it does end. I've been enjoying the series and was looking forward to the 20 episodes.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think they said the next episode would include the royal wedding which was only three weeks ago. Not having a time machine they may have had to delay the following ones until they can capture enough footage to make a decent programme.

JN114

Established Member
I think they said the next episode would include the royal wedding which was only three weeks ago. Not having a time machine they may have had to delay the following ones until they can capture enough footage to make a decent programme.

More recent than that - it hasn’t even been a week yet!

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I know of "split" shows that are pretty bad for that.

6Gman

Established Member
I think tonight's programme shows why the bright ideas of the PR people aren't always helpful to those on the front line.

They needed to get people through Windsor & Eton Central as quickly as possible. Renaming the station as "Harry & Meghan Central" and sticking a "Just Married" vinyl on the set led to people stopping to take selfies, thus slowing them down.

Just. Don't. Do. It.

Just run the trains.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I think tonight's programme shows why the bright ideas of the PR people aren't always helpful to those on the front line.

They needed to get people through Windsor & Eton Central as quickly as possible. Renaming the station as "Harry & Meghan Central" and sticking a "Just Married" vinyl on the set led to people stopping to take selfies, thus slowing them down.

Just. Don't. Do. It.

Just run the trains.

Good effort though to be fair - but would have been better done off the station ...a bit of TLC to the replica Dean loco would have been a good idea too - I went down there a week before the wedding and had a mooch around and there were "suits" around , clearly checking the turf before the Big Day..

Crossover

Established Member
I can’t not mention the bit where the police were after the trespassers with the comment along the lines of not having time to get a line block and crossing the live running lines (camera in tow)

I guess that it is split series - I first guessed it as they didn’t say what was coming up next week. My parents were in Windsor a few weeks ago for an event (not the wedding!) and commented about seeing signs up around for the filming of the series around either Reading or Slough, I forget which

Crossover

Established Member

Just. Don't. Do. It.

Just run the trains.

My parents watched part of this episode and made a comment about the dressing up backfiring somewhat. That station is fairly cramped even when it’s relatively quiet, let alone when every train is coming in crush loaded for hours at a time

robvulpes

There's a new programme on the Space Shuttle in next Monday's 2100 slot on Channel 5. Only 2 episodes, so hopefully not too long to wait for the return of Paddington.

Status
Not open for further replies.