• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington Station 24/7 - Channel 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Making the guy who jumped onto the tracks to retrieve his bag miss his train was poor, a quick don't do it again lecture and let him be should've really been enough I feel.

That looked staged - he was hauled off without his bag, which surely would not have happened in real life as that would have left an unattended bag.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Making the guy who jumped onto the tracks to retrieve his bag miss his train was poor, a quick don't do it again lecture and let him be should've really been enough I feel.
I don't agree. By inconveniencing him just a fraction of what the incoming train's passengers would have experienced, he has been given a lesson on obeying rules (and his mates and anybody else who witnessed the event including on the TV would also think twice about it too).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't agree. By inconveniencing him just a fraction of what the incoming train's passengers would have experienced, he has been given a lesson on obeying rules (and his mates and anybody else who witnessed the event including on the TV would also think twice about it too).

Assuming it wasn't staged, I'd tend to agree. I had expected that they were going to charge him with trespass, a missed train to have a chat about not being stupid seems quite reasonable, really.

What it also did was put him in the same position as he'd been in had he missed his train to go and ask a member of staff to retrieve it, reinforcing that there was no advantage to what he did. Though I'm not sure I'd want a sleeping bag back that had been in the s*** that sits in the fourfoot at Paddington! :D

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect that is this series finished.

Probably just as well - it was all getting a bit repetitive at the end. There's only so many "heat related incidents causing chaos in the evening peak" that you can keep the viewer interested in!

bnm

Established Member
I haven't bothered watching beyond episode 2 of this current Series. Repetitive, false jeopardy, boring.

The_Train

Established Member
Must admit that I too got a bit bored of it after the first couple of episodes this series. Maybe the producers should consider a new area to base themselves for future series

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm still waiting for this final episode to appear on My5. It was supposed to be episode 19 that was screened on Monday, and since I checked last night 17 and 18 also seem to have vanished. A couple of weeks ago there were duplicate episode numbers showing as well - it really is a poor platform! I've asked them by tweet what's going on and I'm awaiting a response.

londonbridge

Established Member
Earlier in the thread it said that the show returned on September 17th. I don't recall any weeks being skipped so I make that nine episodes they've shown in this batch including this week, leaves one more to be shown as I understood there were twenty in total. Also I've read this weeks was showing as ep 17 on the SKY epg but ep 19 on the VM epg??

alxndr

Established Member
I'm still waiting for this final episode to appear on My5. It was supposed to be episode 19 that was screened on Monday, and since I checked last night 17 and 18 also seem to have vanished. A couple of weeks ago there were duplicate episode numbers showing as well - it really is a poor platform! I've asked them by tweet what's going on and I'm awaiting a response.

I watched it on My5 via a freesat box last night and I've just checked on my phone and I can see it there too.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I watched it on My5 via a freesat box last night and I've just checked on my phone and I can see it there too.
How bizarre - it's there if I look for it with the search function on the app, but when I go via Favourites, it only has 16 episodes. I'll watch it tonight, then.

robvulpes

Radio Times says last Monday's episode was "19/20". I haven't got next week's RT yet.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The on screen information that you get on top of the telly when you press the "info" button had it as "Series 2 Episode 18".

So there's clearly a discrepancy somewhere.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Episode 19 showed a Class 43 power car being restored after a fire. Aren't there enough 43s going spare at this point to just scrap it?

JN114

Established Member
Episode 19 showed a Class 43 power car being restored after a fire. Aren't there enough 43s going spare at this point to just scrap it?

There aren’t any HST Powercars spare. Those that aren’t in service with GW are off lease or with other operators.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
There aren’t any HST Powercars spare. Those that aren’t in service with GW are off lease or with other operators.
As in why didn't they send that one off lease instead of another one? (Or the ROSCO if it's up to them)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It needs to be returned to the ROSCO as it was leased to them... Eg. A fully functioning powercar.

Seems a waste of money if it'll only get scrapped. Is there not a workaround to that, e.g. payment of a sum that would be equal to the difference in scrap value from the damaged power car to a fully functional one, which would be less than the cost of fixing it?

JN114

Established Member
Seems a waste of money if it'll only get scrapped. Is there not a workaround to that, e.g. payment of a sum that would be equal to the difference in scrap value from the damaged power car to a fully functional one, which would be less than the cost of fixing it?

Who’s said it’s going to get scrapped when the ROSCO take it back.

They wouldn’t be insisting it is repaired before return if they were planning to immediately scrap it. And even if they were, it’s not for GW - the customer in this - to question that.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They wouldn’t be insisting it is repaired before return if they were planning to immediately scrap it. And even if they were, it’s not for GW - the customer in this - to question that.

Well, it is perfectly reasonable for them to question it, and the ROSCO may or may not (at their option) act on that.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well, it is perfectly reasonable for them to question it, and the ROSCO may or may not (at their option) act on that.

There's nothing new in that: Over a decade ago CIGs and VEPs with badly damaged cabs were being repaired at Crewe works even when others of their class were already being withdrawn and scrapped... In this case, however, it does seem likely that most of the power cars do still have a future, at least potentially, so while it does look odd I can understand it being repaired.

I suspect also that the damage was, as usual, being slightly exaggerated for the benefit of the cameras. It was basically a power unit swap and a full re-wire; the structure itself was intact and that was probably the key point in the decision making process.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Fully expect it to be the same as the others but now rather than rush hour being affected its the Christmas getaway that's on peril when things inevitably go wrong.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The trailer suggested it was the run up to this year, in which case they would have had to be filming for the past four weeks or so - has there been any sign of that in the area?

JN114

Established Member
The trailer suggested it was the run up to this year, in which case they would have had to be filming for the past four weeks or so - has there been any sign of that in the area?

No, they’ve not been filming since Summer - as far as I’m aware the Christmas special was all filmed last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.