• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington station gateline

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinba11

I’m watching Paddington 24/7 at Christmas and there is a shot showing the Heathrow Express platforms with no gateline, have they used an old shot (the station is empty) or has the gateline been removed? I know it’s unlikely it’s been removed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m watching Paddington 24/7 at Christmas and there is a shot showing the Heathrow Express platforms with no gateline, have they used an old shot (the station is empty) or has the gateline been removed? I know it’s unlikely it’s been removed.

Was shot last Christmas (2017).

spinba11

Thanks, I noticed it was last year soon after when he said they were closed 24th-27th.

HOOVER29

Yep you can tell it’s an old program as they haven’t got the later annoying customer service staff. One reason why I felt this episode was slightly more entertaining.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Very unlikely to be removed as the HEx platforms have never had a gateline.

ijmad

Established Member
Related question: With the HEX/TfL rail now having gatelines at all three Heathrow stations, how do you now use them to transfer between terminals? Do you just ask the gateline staff to let you through?

alexx

Related question: With the HEX/TfL rail now having gatelines at all three Heathrow stations, how do you now use them to transfer between terminals? Do you just ask the gateline staff to let you through?

There’s a ticket machine next to the barriers for transfers which, when you push the button, issues a free transfer ticket.

cactustwirly

Established Member

You use your Oyster/contactless card, it won't charge you for an inter Heathrow journey.

ijmad

Established Member
You use your Oyster/contactless card, it won't charge you for an inter Heathrow journey.

Works for me, but others just changing terminal at the airport are unlikely to have Oyster cards, might not have compatible contactless cards.

Seems like a waste of paper! Perhaps they should use plastic tokens with RFID chips inside them like on several other metros I've ridden (e.g. Bangalore). They wash them between uses (as they're totally sealed) and then can be reused.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Works for me, but others just changing terminal at the airport are unlikely to have Oyster cards, might not have compatible contactless cards.
Most customers do transfers airside, where free shuttle buses are provided.

ijmad

Established Member
If I take TfL rail from Paddington to Heathrow Central, then switch on to the HEX free transfer to T5, I assume the system is set up well enough that I'll only be charged the TfL Rail fare to Central, not the HEX fare to T5, right?

Hopefully don't have to go out the gates to get a transfer ticket and come in again... hopefully!

Since Contactless fares are coming to HEX, I assume they might do either a time-based check, a Victoria-style arrangement where you'll get charged the GatEx fare if you enter next to the GatEx platforms? (the gatelines for are distinct at Paddington if I remember correctly)

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
If I take TfL rail from Paddington to Heathrow Central, then switch on to the HEX free transfer to T5, I assume the system is set up well enough that I'll only be charged the TfL Rail fare to Central, not the HEX fare to T5, right?

Hopefully don't have to go out the gates to get a transfer ticket and come in again... hopefully!

Since Contactless fares are coming to HEX, I assume they might do either a time-based check, a Victoria-style arrangement where you'll get charged the GatEx fare if you enter next to the GatEx platforms? (the gatelines for are distinct at Paddington if I remember correctly)
The gatelines are distinct at Paddington so that's how it will work.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

The Paddington gateline for the HEx platforms has only recently been installed (within the last 6 months or so), and was explained in earlier posts/threads as being provided specifically so that the correct fares can be charged in a similar way to the way it’s done at Victoria for GATEx.

I think your question about arriving at T5 having changed has also been answered a few times, but it’s proving hard to find...

ijmad

Established Member
Makes sense. Of course this problem will go away when Crossrail finally opens.

Is there a thread somewhere around about what's happening with Paddington platform allocations post-Crossrail launch?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder if they keep track of tickets issued vs how many used at the gates? I wonder how many people will print an extra one or two as a souvenir?!

Trailfinder

There is a time limit on the free ITT tickets. They have to be used within 50 minutes of issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.