• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington to Euston transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Hi

I'm planning a cross-London transfer between Paddington and Euston what is the easiest and quickest way of doing it? Should I take the tube toEuston Square and walk or somehow change onto the Northern line for Euston?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would walk from Euston Square personally, but if you want to avoid the walk (it's only five to ten minutes) then I'd take Bakerloo Line to Oxford Circus and change on to the Victoria Line to Euston. But the time that would take is probably more than taking a train to Euston Square and walking!

SS4

Established Member
I would definitely recommend SSL to Euston Square and then walk to Euston. Even if you have heavy luggage the walk is much easier at street level (with wonderful fresh air to boot)

If you'd rather go deep level on the tube though I second ainsworth's suggestion of changing at Oxford Circus but you won't get the advantage of a cross platform interchange.

The 205 bus also runs from Paddington to Euston but I'd not recommend it as it's not included as a transfer on NR tickets

user15681

Established Member
I'd personally go to Euston Square. When exiting, make sure you use the exit to the north side of Euston Road. It will save you the hassle of having to cross Euston Road.

philjo

Established Member
Use the Hammersmith & city Line platforms at Paddington as this will avoid having to change at Edgware Road. when I used it at New Year to transfer to Kings Cross, the new lift is now in use to the Circle/H&C line platforms at Paddington so you no longer have to carry luggage down the stairs.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Use the Hammersmith & city Line platforms at Paddington as this will avoid having to change at Edgware Road. when I used it at New Year to transfer to Kings Cross, the new lift is now in use to the Circle/H&C line platforms at Paddington so you no longer have to carry luggage down the stairs.
Of course that choice means you will most likely have to start walking back to Reading, when you get of the train, as you will need the station overbridge.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd take the sub-surface lines to Euston Square and walk from there.

Alternatively you can get to Euston by tube - change at Oxford Circus (Bakerloo + Victoria), which is well worth considering if you alight from Paddington nearer the front of the train and/or if it's raining.

Andrewlong

I would go for Hammersmith and City line as previously mentioned. Using Bakerloo and Victoria lines is a faff and I think it's quite a trudge at Oxford Circus.

If feeling adventurous and not minding an extended walk, how about getting off at Regents Park on Bakerloo line. Station has lift. Make sure you head in right direction at exit. You need to go east.

My preference is a 205 bus from outside old Post Office in Praed Street in Paddington. You get dropped off at Euston bus interchange outside station.

1E05

If you don't mind paying extra I would strongly recommend the 205 bus as it avoids steps down to / up from the tube.

stuart

I too would have thought SSR to Euston Square and walk, but interestingly the LUL journey planner gives a quicker trip time via Oxford Circus (15 mins) than via Euston Square (19 mins). It is a long trek at Oxy Circ, but as someone has pointed out, it does keep the whole journey under cover.

On the other hand if it's a nice day, just walk the lot - I shouldn't think it would take much more than about half an hour, 40 minutes tops!

TheWalrus

Established Member
Thanks for all the useful replies:)

How much is the 205 bus out of interest if you know and how long does it take?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do you have an Oyster card? If so it is £1.40 (unless the fare is going up for 2014!)

And if not, you can still get that fare if you have a "contactless" debit card?

As for how long it takes, when are you travelling? The journey planner on the TfL website can give you an estimate of journey time and frequency at any time you wish to query. In practice at peak hours the journey may take longer, of course.

What time do you arrive into PAD and what time are you due to depart EUS? (and what day of the week, as that could make a difference too?)

transmanche

Established Member
Do you have an Oyster card? If so it is £1.40 (unless the fare is going up for 2014!)
Yep, £1.45 from today if you have Oyster PAYG or a contactless payment card - otherwise it's £2.40 in cash. (For the sake of completeness; it's free anytime with an ENCTS pass and also for wheelchair users.)

The unofficial London Bus Routes website (which has complete timetables, that aren't displayed at bus stops anymore) suggests that it's timetabled to take 20 mins at 8am, up to 24 mins later in the day. 8 bph for most of the day, 5-6 bph in the evening, 2 bph overnight,

TheWalrus

Established Member
Yes ive checked the times and fares online looks like its 20 mins and I don't have a contactless card unfortunately but may ask my bank about it. Cheers for all the info appreciate it :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes ive checked the times and fares online looks like its 20 mins and I don't have a contactless card unfortunately but may ask my bank about it. Cheers for all the info appreciate it :)
If you have a through rail ticket I'd just take LU, as that would be included in the price.

If you don't, and you want to get the bus, an Oyster card is worth considering if you are likely to visit London again?

I know many people who only visit London occasionally yet have Oyster cards for the convenience of when they do go to, or simply through, London.

D6975

Established Member
I too would have thought SSR to Euston Square and walk, but interestingly the LUL journey planner gives a quicker trip time via Oxford Circus (15 mins) than via Euston Square (19 mins). It is a long trek at Oxy Circ, but as someone has pointed out, it does keep the whole journey under cover.

On the other hand if it's a nice day, just walk the lot - I shouldn't think it would take much more than about half an hour, 40 minutes tops!

Journey planners always tend to overestimate the walking times.
It's probably to allow for the fact that many people will be a little uncertain of the exact route they are walking and therefore take a bit longer.

CatfordCat

If you have much in the way of luggage, then going via Euston Square will be less painful than the deep level tube.

As HowardGWR has said, you want the bit of underground that is accessed from the footbridge towards the 'country' end of the platforms at Paddington, rather than the bit where you go out on to the station concourse first.

The walking speed on things like the TfL journey planner does default to quite a slow walking speed. I'd say 5 minutes from Euston Square to Euston is a reasonable average (so long as you take the right exit at Euston Square)

The timetable for the 205 says maximum 20 minutes once you're on the bus from Paddington to Euston, and buses every 7-8 minutes during the daytime. But as others have said, first off if you have a through train ticket, this won't be valid. Also, running buses in London is not an exact science, and the timetable should be seen as a statement of intent rather than something that will actually happen.

jon0844

Veteran Member
As HowardGWR has said, you want the bit of underground that is accessed from the footbridge towards the 'country' end of the platforms at Paddington, rather than the bit where you go out on to the station concourse first.

If you do want step free access though, you need to walk to the concourse, around to platform 12 and then take a lift up. Then walk alongside the taxis and into the station there - which now has a new lift down to platform level.

It is much longer, but might still be preferable.

philjo

Established Member
I went that route last month - it is a bit of a trek round to platform 12 to use the lift & past the taxi rank but it is all under cover and on the flat. (& I had travelled weekend 1st so was near the buffer stops getting off the HST)
Or use the ramp half way down platforms 8/9 though there are I think 3 steps at the top of the ramp.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
No - southbound Bakerloo to Baker Street and the Met line. Much better transfer and warm in this freezing weather. Avoid the "Circle" line option at all costs.

dzug2

If you pay cash you have to buy your ticket from a machine at the bus stop - no change given

TheWalrus

Established Member
If you pay cash you have to buy your ticket from a machine at the bus stop - no change given

Their website says I can buy from the driver onboard but advises against paying with notes?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I know many people who only visit London occasionally yet have Oyster cards for the convenience of when they do go to, or simply through, London.

I am one of those people!

I can only second what everyone else has said really. Although the 205 is nice as it's above ground so you get to see more, although of course as mentioned it is not included in your transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.