• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington to Kings Cross St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathmo

If I arrive at Paddington on a National Rail service and want to get to King's Cross, what's the fastest route? I've read several differing opinions. There's a choice of:
  • Paddington H&C station direct to King's Cross - but not many trains
  • Paddington Circle/District line platform - but may have to change at Edgware Road
  • Bakerloo to Baker Street, then change to Metropolitan/H&C/Circle - but a bit of a long way round
  • Bakerloo to Oxford Circus then Victoria line to Kings Cross
or probably some others too...

My current view is to head for the Circle/District lines but I'm not convinced that's right.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavyCrocket

Well the timetabled frequency and journey time is the same from the H&C and Circle stations to King's Cross. Of course from the Circle station you can travel on the first train and change at Edgware Road.

However, I'd head to the H&C station! TBH, It's all pot luck on the SSR lines, I wouldn't take any notice of the journey planner!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The interchange at Edgeware road is cross-platform (no stairs), so I'd go Circle/District platforms.

DavyCrocket

The interchange at Edgeware road is cross-platform (no stairs), so I'd go Circle/District platforms.

Not if the train goes into platform 3 at Edgware Road! That's the platform that I normally put the Districts in, regardless of what the timetable said!

Of Course from 13 December, the only through trains will be from H&C station.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I always used to take H&C from Paddington, on account of it being closer to the Heathrow Express. Nearly always, contrary to what it said on the front, it terminated or was held at Edgware Road - and that could mean me missing my train from Kings's Cross.

Now I tend to go down to the Circle line, which is actually easier if you have bags because there are no steps (when going eastbound) to worry about. Of course, whichever train I go for, I'll get it wrong. My advice is, if you see me - look which way I'm walking and go in the opposite direction.

asylumxl

Established Member
Check when your train arrives, then use the TFL Journey Planner to work out which is fastest. If you come in closest to the H&C like mentioned before, go there. If not head for the Circle line. I usually find unfortunately when i get there a tube train just leaves Paddington as i get to the platform lol.

Uranquinty

If you did the Bakerloo to Oxo and up on the Vic, you'd probably spend more time moving than kicking your heels round Edgware Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.