• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddy's Bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin_Sole

I'm interested in finding the exact location of a pub that once operated in London Victoria station called Paddy's Bar. Its claim to fame was that Great War soldiers who were on their way to the western front would have their last Blighty pint there, the pubs in Dover and Folkestone being off limits to other ranks.
It finally closed in 1979 and, much to the annoyance of the Imperial War Museum who had offered to crate up and preserve the original fixtures and fittings, everything of sentimental and historic value was binned <(.
Do any clever forum members have an idea of where in the station Paddy's Bar was located? A floorplan maybe, or better yet a photograph?

Many thanks,
MS

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's shocking that the Imperial War Museum were denied those artefacts.

I hope someone has the knowledge of where it was !

EM2

Established Member
Well, let's look at what we know.
If it's the Great War, then this is while Victoria was two separate stations, which weren't joined until 1922.
The troops are heading to Kent, which means they'd be travelling from the 'Chatham' side (now platforms 1-8).
This link http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191869&p=1877180 suggests that the location is still a bar, and the only bar on the Chatham side these days is The Iron Duke.
Now this is all deduction, based on very brief web searching, but for definite answers, you could try NR's archivists.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/VirtualArchive/AskTheArchivist/

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You never know though. Facilities do have a tendency to swap location in major terminals. I suspect photographic evidence of where the bar used to be would be of most help to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.