• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paid fine but will I still get a letter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please help 07

Dear all

I feel a fool as it was pure laziness.

So my season ticket ran out in November. For some reason I thought it renewed. No idea why I thought this.

So I have been using a touch in card from a station since November. I did think I should check it out but genuinely forgot and kept going to the stations touching my card and the train barrier guys always let me in. Even if the card had declined. So I thoguht there's an issues with my card and that's all. A few times the guys have checked it and said don't worry these cards have issues all the time. So again assumed it was just the card.

So today I got home and tried to tap in. As per usual declined. Normally the guys at the gate let me in. Revenue office was there. I didn't panic as nothing to panic about. He checked the tap in card and said it ran out in November. I said no it should have renewed. He was confused as that can't be the case. Anyway he took details.. Name number address. I was honest. And gave me a 40 ticket.

Will I get anything else in the post?
Should I assume yes and send a letter and the back dated money. Its a few hundred quid... Happy to do so as its my fault. Ultimately I want to avoid any criminal record.

Again very stupid of me.

Hope you all can help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
If you were given a Penalty Fare or any form of fixed penalty at the time, that is the end of the matter as long as it gets paid. You have the right to appeal such a penalty, but I'm assuming you didn't do so and just paid up?

Please help 07

Hi there

The revenues officer have a 40 ticket. I have the receipt. To be honest he didn' m it clear. It was a fine. But I think it was as normal a daily. Is around 17 pound.

6Gman

Established Member
Please help 07 ...

I'm no expert on season tickets as I've never had to use them but it sounds as though you may have had a lucky escape.

Did you pay anything to the staff or did they just issue you with a demand/request for £40?

(If it's a request to pay a Penalty Fare of £40 then it's not a "fine" as such)

island

Veteran Member
If you were issued a Penalty Fare for £40 (I’m assuming it was a TfL* service as National Rail* charges £20) and you paid it there and then, that is the end of the matter.

*Before the pedant brigade jump in, I know TfL and National Rail do not themselves operate services. The intent of the names is clear.

Clip

Established Member
A bit strange this whole story because it' all about being let in but nothing about the other end and getting out.

A tfl penalty is actually 80 sheets and only 40 if you pay within a period of time

So none of this actually adds up and we seem to be missing lots

Status
Not open for further replies.