• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paignton & Dartmouth Railway: history

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeaves

Established Member
As I understand things, when the Paignton & Dartmouth Railway first started, it ran over BR metals as far as 223 mile post (just south of Goodrington Sands station); that is BR still owned some of the route. This situation lasted through the Railtrack era and possibly to Network Rail. Now, NR only owns a very short length (the crossover connecting the two railways' systems).

Assuming my previous knowledge is correct, at what date did the heritage railway take ownership of the line? I have found references online about the sale of Goodrington New Yard (sidings opposite Goodrington Sands station) but that was a separate transaction (the sale plan clearly excluded the main running line).

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyT

Established Member
As I understand things, when the Paignton & Dartmouth Railway first started, it ran over BR metals as far as 223 mile post (just south of Goodrington Sands station); that is BR still owned some of the route. This situation lasted through the Railtrack era and possibly to Network Rail. Now, NR only owns a very short length (the crossover connecting the two railways' systems).

Looking at: http://map.whoownsengland.org/ , the full width stretch of formation owned by NR includes the crossover area and also Sands Road level crossing, the booms, barriers and control equipment of which are their equipment. The crossing is traincrew operated by either Dartmouth Steam Railway, mainline TOC or Network Rail staff.

Shenandoah

If you are able to stand at the Sands Road level crossing, or as a passenger on the Dartmouth SR and look out of the window, you will see that markers which state the ownership as described by MarkyT

pdeaves

Established Member
Thanks MarkyT and Shenandoah. Anyone know when this arrangement came into effect (compared to the older arrangement of BR and possibly successors owning the lot to Goodrington)?

Status
Not open for further replies.