• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Palmersears' Jaunts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Far north 37

Established Member
A good few hours at ealing broadway and acton mainline would probably near enough clear the class 59s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the 313 advice chaps, much appreciated as always.

Plan for Friday is formed! 0513 from Stockport to Euston, then I think it'll be to Clapham Junction to see if I can get the last few 456s mopped up during the rush hour (Do they work elsewhere, I can't remember?) before utilising my Southern DaySave to get to Brighton for around 11. Once the 313s here dry up I'll head to Barnham, hopefully pick up the rest fairly quick-sharp, then get back into London for around 1600ish where, gen permitting, I'll see about ticking off the final two Great Northern 313s (and final two 387s if they fall right), possibly the final 357s and hopefully the last two 455s. Planning to end with some 375 and 466 hunting at the new London Bridge. All done for 2100 when it's back home!

Good luck Parmersears, look forward to reading about it.

palmersears

Established Member
Barn(ham)storming! - 12/01/18

First trip of 2018, and for once I wasn't awake ahead of the 0415 alarm. Still out in good time, and down to Stockport for just after 0500 and a short wait as 390127 rolled in to platform 1 (only 390 scheduled to use that platform on a weekday) 2 late to take me down to Euston. Nothing noted en route, and with travel card purchased in advance it was straight down to the Victoria line at 0730 for a cosy ride down my old commuter line to Victoria itself. A rather sparse set of platforms on the Southeastern side, just a dud 465 in attendance, so it was over to the Southern platforms for 455824 and the quick trip over to one of my favourite spots, Clapham Junction for a bit of 456 hunting.

I hadn't realised SWR were troubled by an RMT strike, which meant the locals had to suffer gaps in suburban services of over 5 minutes(!), but which provided much amusement for my good self as I watched the mental torture suffered by the decision between wanting to get to work, and thus having to sniff somebody's armpit, or wait for the next service, a concept alien to most of them. I picked up a good few winners in between the people watching, including a decent number of sought after 456s and lots of 707s now earning their keep:

Clapham Junction (CLJ)
159: 159011

377: 377213

378: 378216

444: 444041

450: 450108, 450111, 450544

455: 455819

456: 456002, 456005, 456011, 456012, 456015, 456019, 456020, 456022, 456023

707: 707002, 707011, 707012, 707015, 707022, 707027, 707028

After a couple of productive hours my Southern Daysave was about to kick in, so it was aboard 377123+212 and the end of the BML. I remember coming down this way 4 years or so ago with the wife for a day at the seaside, but I must confess I don't remember much of the journey itself. The gloomy Sussex countryside whizzed by, and not until Three Bridges did any winners appear, namely 700129, 70013 and 700141, all on the depot. Hassocks threw up another FLU, 700122.

Eventually Brighton arrived, and after a wander around the lovely old station I settled at the end of platforms 3/4 to observe the comings and goings. Honour of the first Southern 313 in the book went to 313207 which was in the sidings, and it was followed over the next couple of hours by a good number more:

Brighton (BTN)
171: 171725

313: 313202, 313203, 313205, 313207, 313209, 313211, 313213, 313214, 313215, 313216, 313217, 313220

377: 377112, 377473

700: 700035, 700135, 700137, 700145

I was joined after an hour or so by the a station supervisor and a new trainee, the former taking the later through how Gatwick Express do their coupling and uncoupling, so I got an inviting to watch that close up, and they then spent the next 20 minutes or so chatting to me about all manner of things rail related. I was offered the chance of a depot tour early the following week, but had to decline due to the geographical difficulties this posed! Still, nice to see such hospitality isn't dead in the age of suspicion in which we now live.

Two and a half hours came and went in no time, and soon it was time to hop aboard 377162 and in to unknown territory as I headed for Barnham. I picked up 313219 as we approached Hove, and the slightly unexpected sight of 700125 parked up in the station itself, but after that it was actually a fairly mundane journey towards Barnham. Scenery was a bit drab, a mood reflected by the seemingly half asleep 'On board supervisor' and I almost missed 313208 at Portslade. Eventually a damp and drizzly Barnham did arrived, a quaint little station with a shop selling everything from pies to Pringles, and I settled in the waiting room on the island platforms to eat my lunch and observe comings and goings. Safe to say they weren't the most thrilling 90 minutes of my life, but I struck lucky and managed to get all the remaining 313s not scored at Brighton. Rather fittingly it was 313201, resplendent in BR livery, which completed a clean sweep, and cleared the Southern 313s in little over 5 hours of hunting. Proper job:

Barnham (BAA)
313: 313201, 313204, 313206, 313210, 313212

With that it was on to the next Victoria service, formed of 377434 and back to the capital. A busy service for 1400 on a Friday, but room enough for a table seat, a bit of food and yet another 700, this time 700131 at Crawley. After that I fell asleep, so I've no idea if anything good happened until I awoke on the approach to Clapham. I was only here briefly, as gen suggested 450544 was due through imminently. It was bang on the money in terms of timings, and meant the 450s are now cleared. Sound the cannon!

From here I wanted to check out the new London Bridge setup, so 5815 took me to Waterloo, before the Jubilee line two stops east. Into the national rail station and first impressions are that it's certainly striking. Huge expanses of concourse, more ticket barriers than I've ever seen anywhere before, far too many coffee shops, and lots of destination screens that didn't work....

I took up residence at my usual spot, the country end of platforms 6/, which now give decent views of all comings and goings. The Thameslink platforms are in the middle, and might be a better option once open, but I like 6/7 as you can also see the Southern stuff in summer without always having to resort to the binoculars. I had a tea on the go, so concentration wasn't at its highest, but a good few hours went by and I ended up with a decent amount in the log considering the state of play beforehand:

London Bridge (LBG)
171: 171728

375: 375301, 375607, 375802, 375821, 375827, 375830, 375905, 375907, 375909, 375927

465: 465901

466: 466002, 466041

It was now pushing 1930, so I decided to head home via a quick stop at Victoria. I decided on a slightly longer route of Jubilee line to Westminster then Circle to Victoria (not a massive fan of the walk from Jubilee to Victoria at Green Park), and arrived to a busier set of platforms than 12 hours previously. 375611, 377501 & 377503 all made their way in to the winners enclosure, the latter two helping me to clear the 377/5 sub class, and I thought this was a fitting point to head for Euston.

M&S was visited when I got there, mainly for chocolate covered cashews which are my current addiction, and I utilised RTT to get on 390119 a good 15 minutes before everybody else joined for our 2100 departure. The day was rounded off with a solitary loco winner, 66522 sitting at Longport, which leaves just five Freightliner sheds to find now.

All in all, 72 winners makes it a good day out. Just three 456s left to find, two 313s and one 455, so they'll be the priority when I'm in London next month, along with the 357s and some Greater Anglia action. My next trip is hopefully a short one to Liverpool a week on Monday to get Merseyrail done, and find the 319 that's been avoiding me for months.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow you did do well! Congratulations on clearing the Southern 313s, the 377/5s and the 450s! Not surprised you had a kip on the way back from Brighton, I'd have had to do the same.

Good to hear Bridge is decent for spotting again too, not that I need to do in that area much now, but a favourite spot for it being restored is good news.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I forgot to mention that there might have been some 700s in a yard near Horsham, although to see it you need to go on a service towards Dorking.

A productive day, congrats on getting those 313/2s in the book :)

palmersears

Established Member
I forgot to mention that there might have been some 700s in a yard near Horsham, although to see it you need to go on a service towards Dorking.

A productive day, congrats on getting those 313/2s in the book :)

I saw three of them in said yard, but sadly couldn't ID them as we went t'other way instead of via Dorking :(

palmersears

Established Member
One More Time With Feeling - 22/1/18

And so the day was upon me whereby I had to bite the bullet and revisit Merseyrail. Long-time readers will know I get very little satisfaction from the dreary Merseyside network, with its long festers underground and worn out rolling stock. Nonetheless, if I was to complete my quest then I needed 12 final units. As a slight prelude to the day, I'd visited Birkdale on the Saturday prior to the trip, spending a few hours in the pub before heading off to see Stockport get a good seeing to at the hands of Southport. The only upside was the sighting of 507002 pulling out of Birkdale as I waited at the level crossing, leaving one less to find on Monday.

After a weekend testing out the new Fitbit (nothing quite like a step count goal to get you off the sofa of a Sunday!) it was a relatively late start to the new week, hopping aboard 142009+084 for the 35-minute journey into Piccadilly from New Mills Central. Bidding the wife a farewell I paced through the Northern Quarter over to Victoria in time for 185114 and the non-stop blast over to Lime Street. Nothing of any real note on the journey, save for the excellent first run out for my new wireless headphones (can you teel it was my birthday last week?!) which certainly helped the 32 minutes journey progress quickly.

Down to the Northern line to purchase a Saveaway - sadly also having to fork out an extra pound for a Walrus card I'll never use again - I then had 15 minutes to wait until it was valid, so strolled to a nearby HSBC to pay in some birthday cheques (God bless grandparents who still use the pointless things), then headed in to Central station for 507010 to carry me the short distance to Sandhills for a prolonged fester. I was almost immediately met with a glut of winners, which was most unexpected, as 507032, 508104 and 508125 all showed up within 10 minutes of my arrival, the latter two speeding through ECS towards Kirkdale. There was then a slightly chilly fester for an hour before 507007 showed up from Southport, leaving just seven units to go.

Word came through after 90 minutes as to the whereabouts of 5 of the remaining 7 requirements, and I just had time to thus hop on 507005 back to Central, transferring over to the Wirral line platform just in time to see 507030 arrive on its way to New Brighton. This was followed 20 minutes later by 507006, again heading New Brighton way, before 507031 arrived immediately behind it. Four to go.

At this point nothing further was actually out in service. I knew two were on Birkenhead depot having worked the morning shift, whilst two were in unknown locations, declared failures. I, therefore, figured they too would be at either Birkenhead or Kirkdale. I broke for lunch at this point, sitting on the steps outside Lime Street to watch the world go by until the arrival of 319381 shortly after 1230. Its arrival reclears the in-service Northern fleet (until 150102 comes back out to play following its transfer from GWR), as well as the in-service 319s (There are a few in store that I'll likely never get, and a few currently being converted to 769s).

Lunch went and, with the 319 in the bag, it was time to check out the depots for the elusive four outstanding units. Kirkdale first up, with a walk back to Central (got to get them steps up!) followed by 507013 for 9 minutes. I alighted here and got the binoculars out up on the bridge to survey the units on the depot, with five duds surrounding 507026, which sat right at the back of the yard. The number was only viewable with the binos, so I'm glad I added them to my early morning bag pack! Three to find.

507003 was next to transport me, this time back to Central, where it was over to the Wirral line again for 507006, a winner from earlier in the day, and a trip past Birkenhead depot towards Wallasey Village. 508143 was easily viewable, however the nature of the curve around the depot meant a few further units were only going to be visible on the way back. Thus it was a short 5 minute fester at Wallasey before 508139 back passed the depot again and, with the curve working for me this time, there was the glorious sight of, side by side, 508122 and 508136. Cannons sounded!

With that it was back to James Street for a spot of celebratory shopping at Liverpool One, before my 1622 back to Piccadilly, and my first chance to sample a fully refurbished 185 thanks to 185147 (I think, can't read my own handwriting :(). Sadly I missed my connection on to the 1717 back to New Mills as we were held at Castlefield Junction for a late-running Northern stopper, so instead it was the rather cosy 150114 back to Central at 1737, and then the walk home to reflect upon an excellent, if slightly fortuitous, day; two classes cleared, Merseyrail done, and Northern back to 100%, albeit temporarily.

Summary

Classes cleared: 507, 508
TOCs cleared: Merseyrail
Steps: 17,117

Next up is the first big trip of the year, with Thursday a trip down to Exeter (hopefully on the HST from the Bat Cave) to hopefully grab the last 143s, before returning to Cardiff to see if I can clear ATW, and eventually stopping for the day in Bristol. Friday is the 0445 to Paddington, then a full day in London to see if I can clear Great Northern, C2C, the 445s and the 456s, whilst also getting the 321s and 317s down to a handful, before the 2100 back home. Should be a good few steps involved with all that lot!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations from me too on clearing Merseyrail, that took me a very long time to do!

I see I'm not the only forum member counting his steps! I got a Moveband from Asda as part of my exercise tracking for £20. Money very well spent, as if nothing else it's good motivation to keep one from being lazy! It's amazing how addicted one gets to it...Quite, my evening currently features a walk to the station and back simply to up the exercise. I have already done 9 miles today but that's only equated to 670 active calories burnt so having consumed nearly 1,200 today I need to up the effort to help balance things out. I'm a little obsessed with this excess mass shredding at the moment, and while it does have some days where I question why I'm doing it and not enjoying most of the food I used to love, I am more active now and a fair whack healthier for it. So much so it's been noticeable by others which does help a lot. Time for me to grab a bottle of squash, my thick hat (it's a bit cold!) and put some gloves on! There's an HST to make an observation on in about an hour, another reason to head out. It'll also help take my mind off the Pringles in the cupboard...

Let's cut to the chase, it's nice to know of someone else here who's got the same idea as me! But I must ask, is the Fitbit any good? Feel free to discuss via PM.

As for your forthcoming trip, that sounds like some long days but potentially worth it!

ash39

Established Member
Good effort clearing Merseyrail, no mean feat when it's not on your doorstep!

palmersears

Established Member
Tech: I've got the Charge 2, which thus far I find to be excellent. I'm a naturally fit chap, thankfully blessed with a decent metabolism, but since the hip op I've needed a bit more by way of encouragement to get out and about. It's actually refreshing to see I do get 10000 steps in most days anyway, but the Charge 2's ability to track calories (not an exact science by any means but pretty decent), high intensity exercise and resting bpm are all very useful for me. I'm also on a calorie controlled eating regime so the app that comes with it is also useful in that regard. I get four days out of the battery as well whicb for a fitbit is superb. For £89 it's a bit of a bargain.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It does sound pretty clever, fair game. Mine will tell me steps, kilometres and calories, which has helped a fair whack. For £89 you did indeed do well, and I am jealous of the good metabolism!

I've been excellent with my diet recently, but then today I devoured an entire 200g tube of Pringles. Really not clever whatsoever, I should have portioned them out but once you pop you cannot stop!

palmersears

Established Member
Don't be too hard on yourself, I always find people who are ridiculously strict with a diet end up jacking it in pretty quickly. I have a cheat day once a week where I have a couple of beers and a bit if pizza, so a tub of Pringles in a day ain't going to do any real damage if you eat well and get your steps in for the rest of the week! Keep up the good work, Tech ☺

In other news, a bonus day off early next month had presented the opportunity for another day in Scotland, with a promo code from Virgin I've got singles to Glasgow and back from Edinburgh for under £25, which I can't turn down. Hopefully get the last 320 and 334 that I need and a few more DMUs before the cascade begins in earnest

palmersears

Established Member
Out Pace(ring) Myself - 01/02/18

A modest start time for once given recent journeys, and after a pleasant walk to New Mills Central it was 150205 doing the honours on the only semi-express service of the day into Piccadilly. Stopping only at Marple and Romiley thereafter (instead of the all-shacks plodding of other services) this is always popular with commuters, although today was surprisingly sparse. Arrival a couple later, as is standard when the service has to wait at Ashburys East Junction for a TPE to go through, and it was a quick stop at Pret for porridge before a very early boarding of 220024 for the 0907 to Stoke. My initial plan had been to use one of my many free day passes from Northern to get the stopper to Stoke and save a bit of cash, but in the end the fare was only £5 from Stockport (using my GM Traincard between Piccadilly and Stockport), so I decided to save the free pass for another day.

Coach F of the 220 was almost dead, so I had a table of four to myself until Wolverhampton. Stockport was welcoming the Flying Banana as I arrived, and I also picked up 66739 at Longport as we approached Stoke, but there was nothing of much note after that, with the mediocre journey down to Birmingham dragging slightly if truth be told. The Bat Cave duly arrived and I wandered up to the main concourse for a PNB (and to get a few steps in) before descending back into the chilly bowels of hell for 43301+43357 to take me for some HST action down to Devon. Absolutely rammed all the way to Taunton, I took the opportunity to have a spot of lunch and a wee nap, so there might have been a few winners go passed, but they’ll only have been 800s so I wasn’t too concerned. By Taunton things had thinned out, I noticed half of the HOBC at Fairwater yard, which I’ve not seen in the flesh before, but there were no winners to be had as I alighted at Exeter.

Once there I realised I’d left my ticket on the HST, so couldn’t exit the station, but I was only scheduled to be there for 2 hours or so, so it wasn’t the worst thing in the world. The depot was surprisingly full, mainly with 153s. Two, 153305 & 153372, were required, as was 143611. After that I wandered up and down platforms 3/4 (steps!) and observed the comings and goings. Two further 143s turned up on Barnstaple-Exmouth’s, but sadly the remaining GWR 143 was down at Laira receiving attention. As the sun came out to warm my slightly chilly bones, I was pleased to see 158885 arrive from Waterloo, taking SWR 158s down to three, and also two 150s, namely 150121 (soon to depart for Northern Land) and 150243. Things thinned out markedly after that, and the last 30 minutes were spent watching a rather eccentric photographer getting in the way of everybody and coming perilously close to being taken out by a 43 at one point. With that 43357+43301 came back from Plymouth to drop me off at Bristol before heading northwards to Leeds.

I’m always staggered at how quiet Temple Meads is in rush hour, but as I’ve mused before that’s probably because I compare it to London terminals or Manchester. Still, it was rather sparse, though whilst I waited for 158954 to take me to Cardiff I did get 150219 in the eastern bay. Just five GWR 150s to go now. The aforementioned 158 arrived 7 late at 1801, and I had to stand until Severn Tunnel Junction. The pitch black doesn’t lend itself to picking up passing unit numbers, so I settled back until Cardiff, smashed through a couple of packets of nuts, and then alighted on platform four. Gen was provided earlier in the day regarding a couple of outstanding ATW units, and thankfully they both came through within 30 minutes of arrival to ensure my toes didn’t completely die of frostbite. Firstly 143614, to leave just the aforementioned 603 to come back for to clear the 143s, whilst the cannon was sounded to deafening levels when 142072 pulled in to signal the clearance of the 142s. I need never look at a nodding donkey ever again. To celebrate I wandered to M&S for some chocolate cashew nuts, returning to find D6757/37057 and bonus DBSO 9703 arriving. I had 20 minutes until my train back to Bristol, just long enough for 800024+025 to pull in from Paddington (I must say they look awesome from the front at night, even if the inside looks rather sterile and harshly-lit). With that it was 166204 back to Bristol, once I’d located the ridiculous way up to Platform 0, arriving at the same time as the NMT which I’d seen at Stockport at the beginning of the day, and which nicely bookended day one.

Winners: 15
Classes cleared: 1 (142s)
Sub-classes cleared: 1 (ATW 143s)
Steps: 11666

Back in the late-winter of 59s – 02/02/18

The 0410 alarm was most unwelcome on day 2, but after an excellent shower (I heartily recommend IBIS Budget on Temple Meads Quay, by the way, a winner all round) it was a quick 5-minute walk to Temple Meads for the 0445 to Paddington, today utilising 43010+43124. Lightly loaded, as you’d expect for such a ridiculous time of the morning, I did manage to snaffle 800009+018 at Parkway, coming out of Stoke Gifford before reversing back to Temple Meads, but then promptly fell asleep until the masses boarded at Reading. It was still too dark to really see much as we whizzed towards London, so the next winners for the day all came as I hopped off at Paddington, with a veritable feast of IETs in the platforms. 800020, 021, 022 & 023 were all winners as I strode off towards the H&C line for the tube to Liverpool Street.

A quick PNB here it was on to the 0718 to Bethnal Green, 315813+812 doing the honours, and I settled in on the London-bound platform to see if I could whittle the 317 & 321 needs down a bit. Safe to say there was quite a bit going in and out given the time of day, but things were sadly interrupted when a bird decided to poo on my notebook. Could have been worse, it could have been my head, but I did have to think on my feet and wipe it off with some pages from the back. Disaster averted I settled in to pick up a number of winners, the highlight of which was 379027, the arrival of which sounded the second cannon of the trip. A few 345s out as well after their emergency withdrawal from service the day before:

Bethnal Green (BET)

317: 317662, 317666, 317670, 317885

321: 321301, 321426

345: 345008, 345011, 345016

379: 379027

After a couple of hours, and with rush hour out of the way, I decided it was time for a change of scenery. Back in the Liverpool Street aboard the same 315s that brought me out earlier, then back to Paddington, and 387156+141 for the short trip to Ealing Broadway (picking up 800028 & 802101 at North Pole) for a bit of action around the newer end of the unit-age spectrum. The station works have come on a lot since last I visited, with most of it now done and just the bridge left to commission from the looks of it, and it was actually pleasantly warm in the shelter on platform 3. A number of significant notes here, with 800302 passing through on a test run to Swindon and back, my last GWR 165 falling when 165110 crashed through, and no less than 10 387s also entering the winners enclosure:

Ealing Broadway (EAL)

59: 59001

165: 165110

387: 387143, 387147, 387152, 387162, 387164, 387168, 387169, 387170, 387172, 387173

800: 800026

It was now 1145, and I’d worked out that I could snaffle a couple of further 59s with a quick visit to Acton Main Line. 387172+143 were duly boarded for the 3 minute journey, and I arrived just in time to see 59204 power in from Watford Cement Works. All the DB 59s done. Some 15 minutes later 59102 also arrived, this time from Dagenham, to leave me with just two 59s to get to clear Mendip fully. A bonus of 378153 was also copped as I waited for 387137+387133 to take me back to Ealing Broadway. Luck was definitely on my side today as I just managed to see 43005 blast through, taking me down to three 43s remaining.

Cornish pasty purchased for some much needed warm food it was then the Central Line to Shepherd’s Bush, before 377708 down to Clapham Junction. 455s and 456s were high on the wish list here, and I settled in on platform 9/10 as usual to observe coming and goings in the mid-afternoon sunshine. I got chatting to a guy from Hull who was down for the day to find his last few London units, 387223 was all he needed at Clapham, and I picked off a good number of winners as we talked, including a surprising number of 377s, which leave me with just three to get. The 707s were also out in force, and I need just four more to clear the lot just under 12 months since the first was seen. Sadly no sign of the last required 455, or indeed the last 456 after 456010 was found, but they’ll come. Highlight was gen received from Kite detailing the anticipated arrival of 159002, and I hung around just long enough to see it pull in, complete with frankly awful new grey SWR livery, and clear the 159s. Sound the cannon!

Clapham Junction (CLJ)

159: 159002, 159010

377: 377115, 377316, 377405, 377427, 377463

378: 378151, 378153

444: 444002, 444030

456: 456010

707: 707016, 707017, 707018, 707019, 707020, 707029

1556 to Victoria was the next journey of the day, 377410 doing the needful, and it was a quick (free!) PNB at Victoria before 465034+193 to Herne Hill. There was a pleasant surprise with 67013 on the back of a Pullman tour that was coming in to Victoria as we left but, that aside, this was a time-wasting move if anything. I didn’t fancy the tube to London Bridge so instead went to Herne Hill, was there long enough to get 700028 & 700132 in the book, then departed on 700021 to Elephant & Castle for a nice walk along the A3 (nice as in a good bit of exercise, not nice to look at!) to London Bridge. Here it was a quick sweep of the Southern platforms, just 700111 made the winner’s enclosure before I took up residence on platforms 6/7 as per usual to watch things unfold. Mainly 466s here, meaning I now need just three, but there was a smattering of other winners as well:

London Bridge (LBG)

375: 375308, 375310, 375701

465: 465919

466: 466004, 466031, 466032, 466036, 466038, 466043

700: 700111

I was getting cold by around 1900, so I reasoned upon a last bit of Thameslink spotting at St Pancras. Northern line was traversed, and 75 minutes underground at A & B threw up 700026, 700050 & 700052. It was just after 2000 by this point, so after a brisk walk down Euston Road it was aboard 390013 via M&S (more chocolate cashews) for the run home. I was planning on going all the way back to Piccadilly and getting the 2324 back to New Mills, but I’d been up for 19 hours by this point so I binned that off and got an Uber home from Stockport instead.

Winners: 72

Classes cleared: 2 (159, 379)

Sub-classes cleared: 2 (DBC 59s, GWR 165s)

Steps: 19754

An excellent couple of days all told, three classes cleared, 87 winners and I can see the winning post in terms of SWR, Southern & SouthEastern. I hope another couple of trips to London can get 5 or 6 TOCs cleared, which would be a major milestone. Disappointed not to get the last 143, and I doubt I’ll bother going down to Devon again to get it to be honest.

Next up is Scotland a week today. I’m at a stag-do in Cardiff the weekend before it, so I’m now beginning to question the wisdom of a 0430 start after that, but I’ll power through I’m sure in an attempt to pick off the remaining 320 and 334 I need, the last of the 380s and a few more of the DMU from Queen Street. I’m ending in Edinburgh so I may get a trip past Craigentinny in for any of the recently delivered 385s that are in the open.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Harsh that the last 143 failed to produce but nice work on the two days as a whole otherwise! It took me a while to realise, but we were both at Clapham Junction at the same time! I arrived off a pair of 450s and immediately headed to the low numbered platforms though, and the guy you were chatting to I had seen a few hours earlier at Royal Oak!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Congratulations on Merseyrail and thanks for posting it all.
It’s all a bit modern for me (apart from 37057) but it’s always enjoyable to read about it.

palmersears

Established Member
An apology - 2/2/18 to 4/5/18

I have let you all down with my lack of reports since February, but truth be told I lost interest in it for a while. I felt to make these worthwhile for a wider audience I was having to record details of moves and such like that I didn't find overly interesting personally, and that sucked some of the fun out of it really. I like the simple pleasure of spotting, spending a few hours watching people and trains go by, but that doesn't really make for fascinating reading, so I just went back to me and my little black book for a bit. Indeed going forwards I may do odd summaries of trips, but I frankly cannot be that bothered with major reports anymore. I do however feel I owe it to those of you who have been involved in my quest to keep progress up to date, particularly as I'm getting bloody close now.

Trips since last week spoke have been varied:

2 February: London
12 February: Edinburgh & Glasgow
21 February: Burton, Derby, Nottingham, Toton
16 March: London
25 March: A lovely trip on the East Lancs Railway to the Ramsbottom Chocolate Festival (heartily recommended!)
26 March: Cardiff
22 April: A lovely trip to Barrow Hill Roundhouse with my Grandad, a railwayman for over 50 years. You should have seen his face when I showed him the DRS 68 alongside the 20s!
27 April: London
4 May: Crewe, Derby, Leicester, Stafford, Sheffield, Toton (Not in that order!)

All of the above leaves things looking very healthy:

Locomotives
  • 20 - 18/51 - 35%
  • 37 - 63/100 - 63%
  • 43 - 193/194 - 99% (Just 132 up in Scotland to get)
  • 45 - 5/12 - 42%
  • 47 - 37/79 - 47%
  • 50 - 6/18 - 33%
  • 55 - 4/7 - 57%
  • 56 - 31/34 - 91%
  • 57 - 22/33 - 67%
  • 58 - 1/5 - 20%
  • 59 - 13/15 - 87% (003 and 103 to go)
  • 60 - 96/100 - 96% (All DBC tugs done, 4 Colas left to see)
  • 66 - 369/388 - 95% (All FL 66s cleared at Stafford 4/5/18, and just 002 to go for DBC)
  • 67 - 28/30 - 93%
  • 68 - 34/34 - 100%
  • 70 - 33/36 - 92% (All FL cleared)
  • 73 - 16/39 - 41%
Locomotives (AC electric)
  • 86 - 20/22 - 91% (only ones missing are at Long Marston
  • 87 - 2/3 - 67%
  • 88 - 9/10 - 90% (Only 010 outstanding)
  • 90 - 50/50 - 100%
  • 91 - 31/31 - 100%
  • 92 - 30/36 - 83%
DMUs
  • 139 - 2/2 - 100%
  • 142 - 94/94 - 100%
  • 143 - 22/23 - 96% (Just pesky 603 in Devon remains)
  • 144 - 23/23 - 100%
  • 150 - 132/136 - 97% (Two 150/1s to get, which are Northern-bound soon, and a GWR 150/2)
  • 153 - 65/70 - 93%
  • 155 - 7/7 - 100%
  • 156 - 109/114 - 96%
  • 158 - 158/169 - 93%
  • 159 - 30/30 - 100%
  • 165 - 75/75 - 100%
  • 166 - 21/21 - 100%
  • 168 - 25/28 - 89%
  • 170 - 113/119 - 95%
  • 171 - 13/20 - 65%
  • 172 - 39/39 - 100%
  • 175 - 27/27 - 100%
  • 180 - 14/14 - 100%
  • 185 - 51/51 - 100%
DEMUs
  • 220 - 34/34 - 100%
  • 221 - 44/44 - 100%
  • 222 - 27/27 - 100%
  • 230 - 1/2 - 50%
EMUs
  • 313 - 64/64 - 100%
  • 314 - 16/16 - 100%
  • 315 - 61/61 - 100%
  • 317 - 71/72 - 99% (Only 892 left)
  • 318 - 21/21 - 100%
  • 319 - 80/86 - 93% (All in-service units seen, just 431 to return to service. Rest stored)
  • 320 - 29/29 - 100%
  • 321 - 114/117 - 97%
  • 322 - 5/5 - 100%
  • 323 - 43/43 - 100%
  • 325 - 15/15 - 100%
  • 332 - 14/14 - 100%
  • 333 - 16/16 - 100%
  • 334 - 40/40 - 100%
  • 345 - 28/70 - 40%
  • 350 - 87/87 - 100%
  • 357 - 74/74 - 100%
  • 360 - 26/26 - 100%
  • 365 - 40/40 - 100%
  • 373 - 11/44 - 25%
  • 374 - 13/34 - 38%
  • 375 - 103/112 - 92%
  • 376 - 36/36 - 100%
  • 377 - 239/239 - 100%
  • 378 - 55/57 - 96% (Two left. Needle in a haystack job!)
  • 379 - 30/30 - 100%
  • 380 - 38/38 - 100%
  • 385 - 0/70 - 0%
  • 387 - 106/107 - 99% (Just 159 left to find)
  • 390 - 56/56 - 100%
  • 395 - 27/29 - 93%
EMUs (3rd rail)
  • 442 - 13/24 - 54%
  • 444 - 44/45 - 98% (040 left)
  • 450 - 127/127 - 100%
  • 455 - 137/137 - 100%
  • 456 - 23/24 - 96% (I've been hunting 003 for 6 months now, to no avail!)
  • 458 - 36/36 - 100%
  • 465 - 142/147 - 97%
  • 466 - 41/43 - 95%
  • 507 - 32/32 - 100%
  • 508 - 29/29 - 100%
EMUs
  • 700 - 82/115 - 71%
  • 707 - 30/30 - 100% (Took two sittings at the Junction to get all these, most surprising)
  • 800 - 33/80 - 41%
  • 801 - 1/42 - 2%
  • 802 - 3/36 - 8%
Plenty of green on there, which I am very happy with. My priority is to get everything pre-2016 done and then have a break and return to the newer units when they're all in service.

Looking forward I have one trip planned this month, which sees me head to East Anglia to hopefully clear the remaining DMUs in their fleet, and hopefully the three outstanding 321s if they venture to Ipswich. All that done early doors will see me retreat to Peterborough then to work on the GBRF 66s.

I have also made very tentative plans for a summer 1st class ALR. I've always wanted to do one, and with a change in jobs in the offing, I'm hoping to blag an extra week off when I transfer to allow me to do one. I want to get the Caley and Riviera Sleepers in, and use the week to clear virtually everything that remains from the lists above, as well as taking in a few scenic lines (Highlands, Dawlish etc) that I've not done before. Might even see about throwing in a trip to the IoW to get the 483s ticked off.

I will return with details of my trip next week, and if I do end up on a ALR I will definitely be documenting all my moves and thoughts on that!

Last edited:

palmersears

Established Member
Fighting for Scraps - 18 May - 20 July

Inspired by recent new threads I'm revisiting my own in order to update further on my quest to clear all the mainline units and locos in mainland Britain (sorry, IoW 483s, just not my bag really!).

Last we spoke I was off to East Anglia to clear the regions DMUs. This was a roaring success, as short festers at Norwich and Ipswich cleared the remaining requirements within 4 hours. I also got a clag-tastic bonus of 37407 thrown in for good measure!

Given I'd planned a whole day in the region I was now at a bit of a loss, with 10 hours left to kill! I decided upon a premature return to Peterborough and spent a few hours there observing comings and goings. As is to be expected now, winners were like needles in haystacks, so I did a few crosswords as things passed through, picking up a couple of 700s to add to the book, but not much else.

Returning up the ECML via Doncaster meant a trip passed the IET depot, with a number of freshly livered 800s (800007, 800201 & 800202) and 801s (801201) scored, as well as 66434 in the reception sidings at the station, and 59003 on Roberts Road depot as I headed back towards Sheffield.

Since then, and up until last week, things have been a bit sparse, with odds and sods of 66s picked off, as well as 153373 fresh from its arrival in Northern Land from the South West.

Last week saw four days in London for work, which meant three evenings to pick off a few remaining gaps in the BR stock. The newer stuff is nice to get but isn't a real priority at this point as it'll be around for a while yet. We started off on the familiar Stockport-Euston run, going via Crewe as is always preferable. A brief pause in the action to attend work for the day(!), and then it was out to London Bridge to try and nail down a few more SouthEastern winners, before a quick trip into new territory in the shape of Tonbridge:

upload_2018-7-24_9-45-29.png

Day two was a fair bit quieter, with an initial hunt for my last remaining 387 proving unsuccessful. As such I did a Victoria > East Croydon > London Bridge > Farringdon circuit on the way home, which was slightly more fruitful, and normally I'd be very happy with 19 winners, but framed in the context of yesterday it was slightly disappointing.

upload_2018-7-24_10-20-36.png

Day three I went for a run around Regents Park and out for tea instead.

The final evening was slightly shorter, with a need to be back at Euston for the 2100 home, so I ventured to Bethnal Green in the hope of getting my last 317, and possibly my last three 321s. The former, 317892 did appear, and the class-clearing cannon was rolled out for the first time in months, but sadly the 321s were nowhere to be seen. Again I went back via Farringdon, picking up a few more 700s, and rounded the trip off with yet another 710, this time 710265 freshly arrived at Willesden from Bombardier.

upload_2018-7-24_10-17-35.png

All that leaves things as outlined below (Green = cleared, Red = Less than 10% left to find):

Locomotives
  • 20 - 19/51 - 37%
  • 31 - 5/36 - 14%
  • 33 - 7/29 - 24%
  • 35 - 1/4 - 25%
  • 37 - 68/100 - 68%
  • 43 - 193/194 - 99% (Only 43132 up in Scotland elludes me)
  • 45 - 5/12 - 42%
  • 47 - 48/79 - 61%
  • 50 - 6/18 - 33%
  • 55 - 4/7 - 57%
  • 56 - 32/34 - 94% (097 is at the Great Central Railway, with 128 at Booths, so I'll never see that)
  • 57 - 26/33 - 79%
  • 58 - 1/5 - 20%
  • 59 - 14/15 - 93% (I've been chasing 59103 for SIX MONTHS now)
  • 60 - 96/100 - 96% (Three of these are at Toton, so I might be off there in a week or two)
  • 66 - 374/388 - 96%
  • 67 - 28/30 - 93%
  • 68 - 34/34 - 100%
  • 70 - 33/36 - 92%
  • 73 - 18/39 - 46%
  • 86 - 21/21 - 100%
  • 88 - 9/10 - 90% (010 left)
  • 90 - 50/50 - 100%
  • 91 - 31/31 - 100%
  • 92 - 30/36 - 83%
DMUs
  • 139 - 2/2 - 100%
  • 142 - 94/94 - 100%
  • 143 - 22/23 - 96% (Just 603 to find, a trip to the South West is in the offing for this)
  • 144 - 23/23 - 100%
  • 150 - 132/136 - 97%
  • 153 - 67/70 - 96%
  • 156 - 110/114 - 96% (All Scotrail)
  • 158 - 158/169 - 93%
  • 159 - 30/30 - 100%
  • 165 - 75/75 - 100%
  • 166 - 21/21 - 100%
  • 168 - 25/28 - 89%
  • 170 - 116/119 - 97% (Again, all Scotrail)
  • 171 - 18/20 - 90%
  • 172 - 39/39 - 100%
  • 175 - 27/27 - 100%
  • 180 - 14/14 - 100%
  • 185 - 51/51 - 100%
  • 195 - 0/2 - 0%
DEMUs
  • 220 - 34/34 - 100%
  • 221 - 44/44 - 100%
  • 222 - 27/27 - 100%
  • 230 - 1/5 - 20%
EMUs
  • 313 - 64/64 - 100%
  • 314 - 16/16 - 100%
  • 315 - 61/61 - 100%
  • 317 - 72/72 - 100%
  • 318 - 21/21 - 100%
  • 319 - 80/86 - 93% (All six left are currently in storage or being turned into 769s)
  • 320 - 29/29 - 100%
  • 321 - 114/117 - 97%
  • 322 - 5/5 - 100%
  • 323 - 43/43 - 100%
  • 325 - 15/15 - 100%
  • 332 - 14/14 - 100%
  • 333 - 16/16 - 100%
  • 334 - 40/40 - 100%
  • 345 - 34/70 - 49%
  • 350 - 87/87 - 100%
  • 357 - 74/74 - 100%
  • 360 - 26/26 - 100%
  • 365 - 40/40 - 100%
  • 373 - 11/44 - 25%
  • 374 - 13/34 - 38%
  • 375 - 110/112 - 98%
  • 376 - 36/36 - 100%
  • 377 - 239/239 - 100%
  • 378 - 55/57 - 96%
  • 379 - 30/30 - 100%
  • 380 - 38/38 - 100%
  • 385 - 0/70 - 0%
  • 387 - 106/107 - 99% (Just 159 left)
  • 390 - 56/56 - 100%
  • 395 - 27/29 - 93%
EMUs (3rd rail)
  • 442 - 15/24 - 63%
  • 444 - 44/45 - 98% (I need 040, which has been out of service since December)
  • 450 - 127/127 - 100%
  • 455 - 137/137 - 100%
  • 456 - 23/24 - 96%
  • 458 - 36/36 - 100%
  • 465 - 145/147 - 99%
  • 466 - 41/43 - 95%
  • 507 - 32/32 - 100%
  • 508 - 29/29 - 100%
EMUs
  • 700 - 105/115 - 91%
  • 707 - 30/30 - 100%
  • 710 - 3/44 - 7%
  • 717 - 0/25 - 0%
  • 800 - 41/80 - 51%
  • 801 - 2/42 - 5%
  • 802 - 5/37 - 14%
All in all, very healthy returns for 30 months work! I'm back in London again on Thursday/Friday, so I hope to possibly get the 387 and/or the 456 that I need, and strike luck with others. The issue I face now is that I need so few units across the capital that I need prolonged festers at key locations and spending 3 hours waiting for a trio of 321s, for example, is a little boring.

I also tentatively plan on having a day in Scotland next month to see if I can get the last of the DMUs cleared (will need a large slice of luck that none are working the highlands), although with a number of them due to cascade to Northern over the next year or so I may keep my powder dry on that front. I need to get to Devon as well for that 143, but with the GWR 150/1s and 153s all coming a bit closer to home it does seem a bit of a waste to travel all that way for one unit. Might just wait until it goes for scrap and catch it then :lol:

The ALR rover I'd planned for the summer is now likely to be done next year before my 26-30 Railcard expires, although by that point I might have got all of the ex-BR stuff and it might therefore not be the best use of £500+ o_O

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
You should pop over to the Isle of Wight just for the novelty of riding the old LU stock :)

I would probably suggest asking help for those last 321s as some of those units are "one-way" trippers, work into London during the morning peak before heading to the sidings near Stratford (Orient Way), returning in the evenings to do a single journey from London to say Southend, to spend the night in the sidings at Southend. Likewise for those last few 375s.

palmersears

Established Member
You should pop over to the Isle of Wight just for the novelty of riding the old LU stock :)

I would probably suggest asking help for those last 321s as some of those units are "one-way" trippers, work into London during the morning peak before heading to the sidings near Stratford (Orient Way), returning in the evenings to do a single journey from London to say Southend, to spend the night in the sidings at Southend. Likewise for those last few 375s.

Yeah I've reached the same conclusion. I know the 456 and 444 will show up on an evening peak at Clapham eventually, likewise the 387 out of Paddington and the 168s from Marylebone, but the 321s, 375s, 395s, 465s, and 466s will require assistance. Sadly when I asked last week nobody could help, but that's just the way it goes. Will try again on Thursday and see if my luck improves.

The_Train

Established Member
Good to see you've been inspired to get this going again. I will have a catch up through the thread later

Far north 37

Established Member
That class 59s took a lot of time to finally id well the 59/2s werent to hard but the other two sub classes are a nightmare to id from a distance with those small cast numberplates.

87electric

143613 was scrapped after its fire in 2004.
Ah just seen you mean 603. You have a typo on your latest list.

palmersears

Established Member
I've found 456s are a pain to try and ID due to the unit numbers being quite low down
Agreed, they're almost below platform level in some places which makes it very tricky. As I've got down to my last few I've taken to noting down the carriage numbers on the side before I head out as they're easier to ID from a distance.

That class 59s took a lot of time to finally id well the 59/2s werent to hard but the other two sub classes are a nightmare to id from a distance with those small cast numberplates.
Yeah the 59s, particularly the Mendips, have very awkward numberplates, for reasons that I'm not entirely sure on. I'm hopeful of catching 103 tomorrow evening as it's been on Merehead-Acton runs all week, the evening path runs through Ealing Broadway at 2230 so should be gettable.

143613 was scrapped after its fire in 2004.
Ah just seen you mean 603. You have a typo on your latest list.

Indeed so, be quite the challenge trying to find a scrapped unit! List above edited.

Established Member
Just caught up with your thread Palmers ears, jesus h christ, your needs list is phenomenal. You've got all that in 30months. Doing better than a Danny Lloyd contract at Salford City.

palmersears

Established Member
Just caught up with your thread Palmers ears, jesus h christ, your needs list is phenomenal. You've got all that in 30months. Doing better than a Danny Lloyd contract at Salford City.

Steady now, got to be going some to earn the money he is to play Level 5 football! To be fair though, if somebody offered me 5k a week to do it I'd bite their hand off.

The_Train

Established Member
Wow, it's taken me a week but I've finally caught up having started from the start. It's been quite a ride you've been on over the last couple of years and what you've managed to chalk off in that time is unreal. Your reports have been a great read, in fact at times it felt like I was living your life with you.

Now I'm up to date here, I need to turn my attentions to catching up on those reports I've neglected whilst reading through here.

Good luck with your future exploits palmersears

Status
Not open for further replies.