• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Palmersears' Jaunts

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
A quick update, with a busy week containing four, yes FOUR, sightings!

My first 195 is already in the book, with 195001 snaffled on a mid-evening commute home. Looked very impressive sat on Edge Hill depot, the Northern livery actually suits the unit rather nicely, and I look forward to a ride on them in a few months.

My outstanding 66s are now down to 12 following the sighting on 66714 at Trafford Park on Monday morning. It's been on the Felixstowe-Trafford Park intermodal run for ages, but always arrives and departs during work hours Tuesday to Friday when I'm already in Liverpool, so to get it, at last, was pleasing.

Yesterday was a brief pause at Victoria on the way home to add 153370 and 150209 to the book, reclearing Northern again (Until 319431 reappears from Brush). I'm now down to three remaining 150s, two of which are due to transfer from GWR to Northern by the end of the year to make them more easily gettable, whilst the 153s are down to two. Again these are due to transfer over the next 12 months, ending up in Wales, so they too will be a bit easier to tick off. That just leaves a solitary 143 and one lone 150/2 down in the South West that require my attention, but unless I find myself down there for other purposes I doubt I'll waste my time and effort going all that way to get them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Nice one palmersears, another 4 into the collection, especially 195001. Funnily enough when I was in your neck of the woods recently I snaffled 150204 for sight at Victoria too. It must've been in hiding. I'm sure 323225 is. Git always avoids me.

palmersears

Established Member
Nice one palmersears, another 4 into the collection, especially 195001. Funnily enough when I was in your neck of the woods recently I snaffled 150204 for sight at Victoria too. It must've been in hiding. I'm sure 323225 is. Git always avoids me.

It'll be no consolation to you then when I say I've seen it twice today.

I've also got my first 331 in the book, with 331001 on the Edge Hill depot road nearest the mainline. Like the 195s it does look good in the Northern livery.

Moving on, over the weekend whilst playing around with flights to Vienna, I idly stuck a couple of single flights to Exeter and Southampton in to Skyscanner see if they were cheap. To my surprise I can get a one way flight to the latter for £25, so I'm now tentatively planning a trip down to Eastleigh to grab a few odds and sods at the works, before heading over to Exeter to grab the 143 I need. I'll then head as far into Devon as I need to to grab the last couple of 150s and 153s required, before having a spin on the Riviera sleeper into Paddington for a day in the capital to pick off a few more London winners wherever I can.

Established Member

I've also got my first 331 in the book, with 331001 on the Edge Hill depot road nearest the mainline. Like the 195s it does look good in the Northern livery.

Moving on, over the weekend whilst playing around with flights to Vienna, I idly stuck a couple of single flights to Exeter and Southampton in to Skyscanner see if they were cheap. To my surprise I can get a one way flight to the latter for £25, so I'm now tentatively planning a trip down to Eastleigh to grab a few odds and sods at the works, before heading over to Exeter to grab the 143 I need. I'll then head as far into Devon as I need to to grab the last couple of 150s and 153s required, before having a spin on the Riviera sleeper into Paddington for a day in the capital to pick off a few more London winners wherever I can.
Oh good move. I've been thinking of giving that some thought for a jaunt to the capital myself

Skymonster

Established Member
Question for you Mr. Ears if I may... Edge Hill - is it best viewed from a train out of Lime Street heading towards Liverpool South Parkway, or are trains on the direct line towards Manchester OK? Thanks in anticipation...

Kite159

Veteran Member
Question for you Mr. Ears if I may... Edge Hill - is it best viewed from a train out of Lime Street heading towards Liverpool South Parkway, or are trains on the direct line towards Manchester OK? Thanks in anticipation...

I would imagine trains towards South Parkway will be better for views of the depot

palmersears

Established Member

I would imagine trains towards South Parkway will be better for views of the depot

Kite is spot on (as always!). You can see almost nothing of the depot if you go via the Chat Moss route, but a trip from Lime Street to South Parkway and return will give you a good look at most of what's there, unless it's buried deep in the sheds at the Lime Street end of the curved depot roads.

Skymonster

Established Member
Thank you to Mr. Kite and Mr. Ears... Looks like a ride out past Edge Hill is in order when I nip up to Scouseland then...

noddy1878

Established Member

I reckon you have a high chance of spotting your required 143. If its out and about it won't be long before it passes through Exeter and if its not out it'll more than likely be on the depot by the station.

palmersears

Established Member
I reckon you have a high chance of spotting your required 143. If its out and about it won't be long before it passes through Exeter and if its not out it'll more than likely be on the depot by the station.
I sincerely hope so! Last time I went down it was out of service having an exam at either Laira or St Philips Marsh (I can't remember which) so I couldn't grab it.

palmersears

Established Member
Right, all booked for my jaunt to the South West in October! Flying into Southampton, and then it's to Exeter via Romsey and Salisbury, arriving around 1200. From there it'll be hunting the last few DMUs, with a Devon Day Ranger hopefully allowing me to travel to locations are required. I've also factored in a bit of time in Bristol if it transpires that any required units are sticking to the Bristol Metro routes. I finish off the Friday with my first experience of a sleeper service, taking the 0106 from St Davids to Paddington. Absolutely no idea what to expect, but I can't wait!

Saturday will be London hunting, with the priority to be the last 456, remaining 466s and the 387 that continues to evade me. Might need some gen for those, so if none is forthcoming I'll head to London Bridge and Marleybone as requirements are most plentiful there. 1540 home, followed by a kebab, a bath, and then bed probably!

Kite159

Veteran Member
You might be glad to hear that 143603 was in service today so hopefully you will get her in October :)

The GWR sleeper seats aren't as nice as the Cally Sleeper seats, mainly the layout.

The_Train

Established Member
Should be a good outing palmersears, will certainly look forward to reading all about it

noddy1878

Established Member
Have a good trip and hope you get that 143. My experience of the GWR Sleeper is that its too short a journey to get much kip. I regularly do it PLY - PAD and find by the time I've got to sleep I'm in London. I'm on it in a few weeks time but heading to PNZ first to get it from there. That way I should have fallen asleep before PLY and then I still have 5 hours till London. The Cally sleeper is IMO better purely because it's longer so I tend to get a bit more kip.

palmersears

Established Member
Very brief update, with a trip to Doncaster last night throwing up 66761 and 70816. I had to wait 3 hours in between them, but that's the price you pay when you're having to do targetted trips for only a handful of required locos, and I couldn't pass up the chance to snaffle them given they've not been around the North for a while! It takes me down to just nine 66s to find, and two 70s. Getting close now...

The_Train

Established Member
Very brief update, with a trip to Doncaster last night throwing up 66761 and 70816. I had to wait 3 hours in between them, but that's the price you pay when you're having to do targetted trips for only a handful of required locos, and I couldn't pass up the chance to snaffle them given they've not been around the North for a while! It takes me down to just nine 66s to find, and two 70s. Getting close now...

I can't decide whether I'm looking forward to or dreading when I'm chasing specific locos and units around the country. I suppose it all forms the fun of the chase

Skymonster

Established Member
I can't decide whether I'm looking forward to or dreading when I'm chasing specific locos and units around the country. I suppose it all forms the fun of the chase
I decided a while ago I wasn't going to chase individual locos or units unless they are just round the corner. For example I still need two GBRf 66s for sight, but I don't particularly want to find out where they are - I will hopefully catch up with them somewhere when I'm out and about and if that takes years so be it. I'd completed EMT long ago but then a 'new' 158 was added to the fleet - I didn't try to track it down but I expected it would come to me eventually and it did af Sheffield earlier this week. Part of the enjoyment, in my view, is coming across that one I'm still missing by chance while doing other things. There's enough new stock to come over the next year or two - 800 / 801 / 802 with GWR / LNER / TPE / HT, 195s and 331s with Northern, almost everything in Anglia, a lot in Wales, Scotrail 385s, London Overground 710s and Crossrail 345s, D-trains / 230s, new Mersey units... So my approach will continue to be to target the bigger gaps, and pick up the stragglers as and when.

palmersears

Established Member
I must admit I didn't go all the way from New Mills to Doncaster just for two locos, I was in Leeds for 36 hours and had the evening free, noticed both winners were passing through and, as I've been after them for 2 years now, thought it was worth £10 to pop across on a nice evening.

I do still enjoy the unexpected winners, and I wouldn't go chasing anything over great distances, but gone are the days when I can just sit somewhere and be kept entertained by winner after winner, so I need to be more strategic in my travels.

Established Member
Agreed about the enjoyment being enhanced by something you didn't expect.
A move without gen does have a certain something, but sometimes needs must.

The_Train

Established Member
Must admit it is enjoyable to bag unexpected winners. The few sets I've cleared so far have all been done without any gen and I think that made the feeling all the more enjoyable. I suppose that's the proper way of doing it anyway, although in examples like palmersears chasing 2 locos for 2 years it is justified to purposely make a trip if you know they are nearby.

I think the way I do things now is through managed expectations. Obviously I have a lot of track to cover and I'm chasing plenty of locos/units from various T/FOCS so when I visit new areas my expectations are that I will see anywhere between 75-100% winners. However, with my local I now only go either when I'm bored (with zero expectation for winners) or when I know there is an unusual movement planned (expectation of that particular movement being a winner). Not sure how I'd handle needing one unit to clear a class that is based in an area that is miles away and expensive to get to though

87electric

My last DMU required to travel on was Inverness based 158708. I travelled from East Anglia to London then sleeper to Edinburgh. I'd been up Edinburgh 7 or 8 times previously and never saw a glimpse of it. There is only so much standing around one can do, expense wise aside. So a call out to Scot Rail Twitter told me it was only working the far north line (Inverness to Wick) that day so I had to ching up another £50 to get up there for the 2pm departure. No way was I leaving empty handed.
Expensive couple of days but I guess it all depends on what you want from your hobby.
Gen certainly saves time and money and wasted trips.

palmersears

Established Member
For me I see this as a challenge. I want to get everything done as quickly as possible. At first ambling around in new places was wonderful, I could just sit there and rack up 50+ winners in a day. Now the only real place that's even remotely possible is on the GWML, or up in Scotland once the 385s kick in properly. I don't want to waste time and, more importantly, money, on whole days spent waiting uniformed for a dogbox or two to turn up. I want in and out as quickly as possible so I can move on to somewhere else. For example I hope gen can be gleaned in October to allow me to get the GWR DMUs done within a couple of hours so I can hit Salisbury For my last SWR 158s, or pop up to Cardiff for a Colas 70 that's been sat on Canton for yonks. Anything unexpected is always a nice bonus, but chances are slim anything in that category will pop up.

palmersears

Established Member
A Brucie Bonus - 27/09/18

A week off work this week for the wife's birthday, and with much planned I wasn't expecting to get out for a prolonged period if truth be told. However last week she informed me she wanted a day to herself to go shopping, and that I was therefore permitted a day out. With Devon and London to come next week there's only one other place that warrants a full day at this stage of proceedings, so it was off to Scotland.

Up and out on a mild morning for the stroll to New Mills Central, where 150131+114 were waiting for the 0605 to Piccadilly. A staggeringly on time journey throughout, and we arrived with plenty of time to swing by Smiths for a new crossword book before heading over to platform 14 for the 0655 to Wigan. Rather predictably this was 10 minutes later (awaiting a train crew member who'd been given the wrong diagram for the day...), so whilst I waited for that I did get to see the rather unusual sight of a 66 to Trafford Park through platform 14 and a ATW 175 departing from 13B racing each other down the Piccadilly corridor (at least as far as the signal before Oxford Road where the 175, traveling wrong road, was brought to a stand). Don't think I've seen two workings in the same direction simultaneously down there before.

Eventually 319383 showed up, and it was a speedy run up to Wigan North Western. We failed to make up any time en route, and I was concerned I'd miss my connection, but in the end the 0738 Pendelino to Edinburgh was also late, so I had a good 5 minutes to spare before 390011 pulled in. Seat secured, I wasn't expecting any potential winners until we crossed the border, so I ate my overnight oats and then fell asleep until Lockerbie :lol:

Waverley soon arrived, and I had a look round to see what was going on, noting the progress of the new platforms 5/6. First winners of the day were also my steeds for the trip to Musselburgh, namely 385006+007. First impressions of the new units are that they go like absolute stink, are decent in terms of ambience but, in typical modern units fashion, the seats aren't the greatest. Seat on the right hand side secured, we were passed Craigentinny in no time, allowing two further winners into the book, 66743 and 73970 snuggled up next to each other. Popping off the 385s at Musselburgh it was a quick up and over to the other side, making a +2 on to 380113 back to the capital.

Once back at Waverley it wasn't long before another winner, 385003, showed its face, but after that nothing was doing for half an hour so I decided it was off to Haymarket to settle in for a couple of hours. A wise choice, as upon arrival I was immediately greeted by 170413, leaving two 170s to find. The waiting room on platforms 2/3 has had a refurb since last I went, complete with some comfy chairs, so I set up camp here for the next two hours to observe comings and goings, including their 365s in their new home. All told a couple of 158s were scored, 701 and 727, as well as the partner to 385003 above, namely 385104, which I'd missed earlier on. When I did decide to move on to Glasgow I thought it apt to give the 385s another go, so took further winners 385103+004 for the 35 minute blast across the central belt.

Queen Street arrived, and I spied 158714 as I alighted the 385s, but, after a short break for food, the next 90 minutes or so were sadly unproductive, as a procession of dud DMUs came and went. Indeed I spent most of the time looking at the station refurbishment works that were ongoing, noting just how much more light and airy the station is with most of the dreadful old buildings out front now demolished. About 4pm I gave up, and went for a spot of retail therapy instead.

An hour or so later, and significantly worse off in the wallet, I headed to Central to see if any of the four remaining 156s I needed were working out of Glasgow's principal station instead. A seat on platform 1/2 (unbarriered and affording decent views of the platforms served by the 156s) was secured, just in time to see double winners 156430+442 pull in. 156 requirements halved in the space of 60 seconds! Sadly the station then went in to partial meltdown, as a trespasser at Johnstone caused services to fall on their backside pretty quickly. With my departure soon approaching I binned the idea of a trip passed Eastfield depot to see if any 385s were lurking there, instead heading to M&S for supplies and then returning to platform 2 just as 350403 was unlocked for the trip back to Manchester. Lightly loaded, I ended up sat at a table behind the trolley guy who, given it was his last service of the day, decided to give away all the snack boxes usually reserved for those in the posh seats. A very kind gesture.

The journey back was commenced in semi dark, although I still managed to add two gronks to the winners list, 08887 and 08954, as well as 66738 at Carlisle Yard later on. Nothing after that, save for another rare occurrence, this time a non-stop pass through Oxford Road (I'm not sure I've ever done this before), and despite arriving 8 late I still had ample time to make it across to platform 1 for 142029+142033 to deposit me back at New Mills Central some 17 hours after setting off.

All in all, a decent day, with 17 winners. 156s down to just two, 158s down to seven (three with SWR) and 170s also down to two. A start also made on the 385s, with a couple of bonus 66s thrown in to get them down to just seven. Disappointed slightly not to clear a couple of classes, but at least it gives me reason to come back again!

This time next week I shall have arrived in Exeter for a 36 hour, multi city, spotting quest. I'm flying in to Southampton early doors (£20 flight wins over a £75 train I'm afraid), visiting Eastleigh to get all the quirky stuff currently on the works, before heading to Devon via Salisbury to see if I can find the last six DMUs I need to hopefully clear the 143s, 150s and 153s. Depending upon how quickly this is achieved I'll possibly pop to Cardiff or Westbury to get a few odds and sods of freight, before catching the Riviera Sleeper to Paddington for a Saturday of London unit hunting. Plan here is a little more loose, but my wish list is as follows (in order):

1 x 387
1 x 456
2 x 171 (would also clear Southern)
3 x 321 (would also clear AGA)
3 x 168 (would also clear Chiltern)

I've six units to find to clear South Eastern as well, so will hit London Bridge to combine hopefully scoring these with knocking off some of the last ten 700s I need as well.

I'm on the 1640 back to Manchester, which I will utilise to sleep!

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
Nice trip - sadly Glasgow is a little too far for a day trip for me... Maybe I'll make a two-dayer sometime? Enjoy the southwest and the big city - I hope they are all productive.

palmersears

Established Member
Nice trip - sadly Glasgow is a little too far for a day trip for me... Maybe I'll make a two-dayer sometime? Enjoy the southwest and the big city - I hope they are all productive.
It's taken me three trips to get to where I am now with Scotrail. First one was a two night stay, based in Glasgow but taking in decent stints at both Edinburgh stations as well. Second one was a long, long day, think I got up at 0415 so I could make the 0515 from Stockport to Crewe, then the 0556 up to Glasgow, before getting back to Stockport at 2330ish. I ended up coming down with a virus of some sort and taking the rest of the week off work such was the sheer amount of effort it took, so I went for something more civilised this time!

I hope Devon and London will be a more sedate 36 hour stint, but it'll depend how much sleep I get on the journey to Paddington. Knowing my inability to sleep at the best of times it might be a snooze on and off at best.

The_Train

Established Member
A decent stint north of the border there, particularly getting those 2x 156s. I could probably do a day trip to Scotland but I think I'll save it for when finances allow a 2 day stint for my first visit there.

Good luck with the Eastleigh/Devon trip. I'll be interested to hear about Eastleigh in particular as multiple people have told me that it's worth a visit

noddy1878

Established Member
Good luck with Exeter! Definitely the place to be for your 143s. The 150/153's can sadly be anywhere, but I wish you luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.