• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Palmersears' Jaunts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A decent stint north of the border there, particularly getting those 2x 156s. I could probably do a day trip to Scotland but I think I'll save it for when finances allow a 2 day stint for my first visit there.

Good luck with the Eastleigh/Devon trip. I'll be interested to hear about Eastleigh in particular as multiple people have told me that it's worth a visit

The good thing with Scotland is the availability of reasonable priced hotels in the Glasgow city centre area. Something cheap to just check on, throw your overnight bag on the bed and head out to continue looking.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
The good thing with Scotland is the availability of reasonable priced hotels in the Glasgow city centre area. Something cheap to just check on, throw your overnight bag on the bed and head out to continue looking.

That's interesting to know as I'd automatically assumed it would be typical of most cities and be unreasonably priced

Kite159

Veteran Member
That's interesting to know as I'd automatically assumed it would be typical of most cities and be unreasonably priced

There are a couple hostels near to Glasgow Central which have private rooms available, I think unless there is an event on I paid on average £35 for a room

palmersears

Established Member
I've managed to get both the Premier Inn at Charing Cross and the Easyhotel for just under £30 a night on the times I've stayed over. Would recommend both as long as you're not expecting absolute luxury!

palmersears

Established Member
The Last Dance of the Devon DMUs - 5/10/18

And so the day had arrived at last. After dragging myself out of bed at 0425 it was a short drive to Disley, where I left the car for the wife to pick up later and instead hopped on board the 0505 'Skyline' bus to Manchester Airport. After trundling down the A6 and M56 we arrived at Ringway some 40 minutes later, and it was then the long walk to Terminal 3 for BE860 to Southampton, which was made out of Lego:

20181005_070143.jpg

First time I've ever been on an internal flight before. It was perfectly pleasant, and we arrived bang on time at 0820.

The 99 step walk (it's even advertised at the station!) to Parkway and I hopped on to 158886 for the short trip to Eastleigh. Alighting I made my way out of the station and spent the next hour wandering around various different vantage points of the works and yards. Sadly the newly livered Europhoenix 37 had left the day before, but I still managed to cop 07007 and 08567 doing not much, three 47s by way of 739, 771 & 818, 50021, and a pair of rather sorry looking 73s, 110 & 133.

Units were slightly harder to spot. I got a trio of pigs; 442403/405/417, and a couple of bonus IETs lurking around the back by way of 800109 & 800319, but the real highlight was 444040, which has been at Eastleigh for almost 18 months to be refurbished and was just poking out of the shed enough to ID. It's the last 444 I've needed for a while and sees the first clearance cannon sounded for the trip. Hopefully, it's the first of many.

With that I returned to the station and saw the first of many obstacles for the day present itself. When I originally booked my tickets SWR were running a normal service, but since then a 48-hour strike had been announced, and services were as such scaled back. This scuppered the original itinerary of Parkway > Romsey > Salisbury > Exeter, but I only realised that when 158886 returned surprisingly early to take me to Romsey. Checking RTT I realised I would probably have to go the long way round via Westbury and Bristol with GWR and, having spent the 15-minute wait for 158960 to roll in unsuccessfully trying to get the old dear in the ticket office to find the Devon Day Ranger, off we went. The ride was perfectly pleasant along a line I've not done before, and Bristol was in sight before too long.

Gen came in at this point regarding my Devon DMUs, and I was heartened to see that my slightly arduous diversionary route wasn't to be a total waste of time as, during my 15-minute wait for my voyager to Exeter I saw 150126 splutter in from Weston-Super-Mare. Two 150s to go! I also got a bonus IET in the book, with the quadruple units making up services to and from Penzance containing 800016, which leaves just one 800/0 outstanding in that sub-class.

Bristol staff were able to find the Devon Day Ranger, so with that purchased it was onto a very quiet 220029 down into Devon, heading via Weston ourselves. The XC guard was initially unsympathetic regarding my diversion (and thus lack of ticket between Bristol and Tiverton, where the Ranger kicks in), but soon warmed when she heard of the SWR strike, launching into a rather bloated anti-DOO rant which I soon grew tired of. Happy to eventually get to Exeter and into the early-Autumnal sunshine, the first thing I noted was the large collection of 143s on the depot. Among them was old foe 143603, my final 143, and indeed final Pacer. Here's an arty picture of it next in line after a HST:

20181005_131946.jpg

The aforementioned gen noted the two required 153s were due through over the next couple of hours, so I went to get a brew from Starbucks, purchased my Ride Cornwall Ranger for later, then had an amble around the station watching the comings and goings, including the building work next to platform 6 for the new IET depot. After 30 minutes 153329 arrived attached to a dud 150 as they headed for Paington, whilst the honour of being the final dogbox to enter the notebook went to 153325, heading to Cardiff:

20181005_134134.jpg

And so, mid-afternoon, I was done with Exeter and it was time to head into unknown territory. I turned down a crowded 220 for a winner, 802101, and found a seat on the left in the hope of taking in the famous Dawlish scenery and Brunel's bridge. I wasn't disappointed as we headed along the coast. With the sun out it it was a glorious journey, and I began quite the internal debate as to what was better, this or the trip up the WCML through the Lakes. I eventually settled on the latter, but it's a close call.

The 802's ironing board seat soon began to cause me a bit of bother, and I was keen to stretch the legs. Luckily, or so I thought, Par was approaching, and I'd worked out the gen on the last two 150s meant it best I got off here. I duly did so just as 150263 came to a stop off the Newquay branch. I had this down as being a bit later into the hour, so I was now left with about 55 minutes before the final 150 was due. "No problem", I reasoned, "there must be loads to do in a Cornish village!" Wrong. After a brief walk I discovered nothing, save for a pub, so spent 45 minutes on a couple of local ales whilst watching the world go by as I contemplated the event that was about to unfold. I then slowly ambled back down to the station in time to see 150125 pull in. Cannon sounds, not only to clear the class, but also all GWR DMUs.

20181005_174822.jpg

To celebrate (and also because the 43s to Penzance were delayed), I went back to the pub for another pint, then returned to the station. The 43s were even further delayed, so I had a nice chat with the signalman during his cigarette break until 43030+43009 eventually rolled in. I took them all the way to Penzance, seeing nothing en-route as darkness fell rapidly. My reasoning was that I wanted to spend a decent amount of time on the sleeper in the hope I'd sleep better than if I hung around Exeter until 0106 like I'd originally planned. The downside to getting gen I suppose, in that I'd planned a good 14 hours to hunt down six units, but got them all with 7 hours to spare.

Penzance arrived, and I wandered around the largely deserted streets for a while, taking in a lovely pizza for the evening meal, before heading back to the station around 2120 to board the sleeper, which was to be hauled by 57604. I was utterly shattered as I took my seat at the very back of the seated compartments, but could sense almost immediately that I wouldn't be getting the best nights sleep. With that it was off into the Cornish night, destination London in some seven hours time...

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Did you get the coach which is 2+1 seats or has both sleeper sets gone over to the 2+2 seats with annoying fixed armrests by the window.

A productive day in the South West :)

palmersears

Established Member
Did you get the coach which is 2+1 seats or has both sleeper sets gone over to the 2+2 seats with annoying fixed armrests by the window.

A productive day in the South West :)

2+2 seats. The armests drove me mad <D

noddy1878

Established Member
Good read and congrats on your Class Clearance Canons! There isn't much going for Par. There are three pubs there. I know two of the three and the one opposite the station is the one I've not been in. I assume thats the one you went in? Sorry to hear you sensed (I'm assuming you sensed right!) you wouldn't get much sleep on the sleeper. I found starting in Penzance (armed with a couple or beers) I was asleep way before Plymouth and didn't wake until Reading last time I did that move. It's the LED lights that do my head in on the sleeper though if anything! Look forward to the next instalment.

palmersears

Established Member
Likewise, I couldn't get comfortable on the sleeper towards Cornwall. I dislike fixed armrests by the window at the best of times (as most of the time they are too low down to be of much use).

I cannot for the life of me work out why they placed the armrests where they did. Spent most of my time moving my arm between it (too low), and the small window ledge (too high). Utterly infuriating.

Good read and congrats on your Class Clearance Canons! There isn't much going for Par. There are three pubs there. I know two of the three and the one opposite the station is the one I've not been in. I assume thats the one you went in? Sorry to hear you sensed (I'm assuming you sensed right!) you wouldn't get much sleep on the sleeper. I found starting in Penzance (armed with a couple or beers) I was asleep way before Plymouth and didn't wake until Reading last time I did that move. It's the LED lights that do my head in on the sleeper though if anything! Look forward to the next instalment.

Yes, the Royal Inn I think it was. Perfectly acceptable, if a little sad around the edges.

With hindsight I probably should have ventured a little further in towards the centre, but was mindful of getting caught too far away from the station for when the 150s came through.

I also contemplated a few more beers to get me off to sleep whilst waiting at Penzance, but I don't travel too well on trains after a few beers so thought better of it!

The_Train

Established Member
Congrats on the 150 clearance and in completing this also filling in the blanks of the GWR DMUs.

I've never looked into Sleeper travel although I'm sure I will experience it at some point. I assume you either buy a ticket for a seat or for a sleeping berth? Are there massive differences in price?

palmersears

Established Member
I've never looked into Sleeper travel although I'm sure I will experience it at some point. I assume you either buy a ticket for a seat or for a sleeping berth? Are there massive differences in price?

I booked 6 weeks in advance and, with a railcard, was quoted £13.60 for seated, £65 for a shared berth, and £100 for a solo berth. Can't comment on the Caley Sleeper, but I imagine it's broadly similar.

The_Train

Established Member
I booked 6 weeks in advance and, with a railcard, was quoted £13.60 for seated, £65 for a shared berth, and £100 for a solo berth. Can't comment on the Caley Sleeper, but I imagine it's broadly similar.

The seated price is pretty good considering the distance travelled. Is the shared berth one where you could end up sharing with anyone? Not sure I'd fancy that :lol:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Presumably the sleeper would also be valid on a Freedom of the South West ranger in a seated coach? I'm doing one later this month, so wondering about it as part of a plan...

Kite159

Veteran Member

Why did I think GWR didn't do shared berths where you shared with a stranger?

Cally Sleeper is a lot more expensive for berths, and the typical price for London - Scotland in the seats is around £50 when you book in advance. Although no doubt that will increase when the new fancy stock finally enters service.

--------

@andyallen4014 the sleeper in Devon/Cornwall is classed as a day train, so the rover should be fine.

palmersears

Established Member
Presumably the sleeper would also be valid on a Freedom of the South West ranger in a seated coach? I'm doing one later this month, so wondering about it as part of a plan...

I used a Ride Cornwall Ranger and a Devon Day Ranger on it to get from Penzance to Exeter, guard didn't bat an eyelid. Note they're only valid in the seating section though.

Why did I think GWR didn't do shared berths where you shared with a stranger?

Yeah I thought the same, but that's what the website came back with. As I wasn't travelling in a berth I didn't question it with GWR.

ChrisC

Established Member
I've managed to get both the Premier Inn at Charing Cross and the Easyhotel for just under £30 a night on the times I've stayed over. Would recommend both as long as you're not expecting absolute luxury!

That’s good to know. I’m usually quite happy with a Premier Inn if I can’t get anything any more luxurious at a reasonable price. I tried to find somewhere in central Edinburgh in mid September but the prices were extortionate at almost £1000 for 7 nights even in a basic Premier Inn or Travelodge.

I prefer these days to find a nice hotel not too far from the a station and use it as a base for up to a week for exploring a city and days out by train, often using a 7 Day regional rover if available or a series of local day rangers. If I’m staying for between 5 and 7 nights I like a bit of comfort so nothing less than a Premier Inn. I find Travelodges too basic with no storage space except for those with new super rooms which are not too bad for a few nights.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Central Edinburgh is a bit like Central London for prices for Premier Inn/Travelodges, in being quite expensive.

The trick with Edinburgh is to look for hotels outside the main city centre, but have plenty of bus options. My preferred hotel is in Leith which has plenty of bus routes to/from the city within a short walk.

palmersears

Established Member
Odds and Sods - 6/10/18

As anticipated the sleeper experience was mixed. The novelty of taking an overnight train wore off somewhere just after Plymouth, as I tried, with limited success, to get some shut-eye in the uncomfortable seats. The guy in front probably had a better idea when he lay down and put his feet across the aisle onto the adjacent seats, but I was next to a single seat which was too far away for that. I must have drifted off for the majority of the time - I remember waking briefly at Exeter and Swindon - but it wasn't anything deep enough to be meaningful, and when they attached 57306 right behind me at Reading I was pretty much done in terms of sleeping by that point.

We arrived at a foggy Paddington at just after 0500 and, after brushing my teeth, I was one of the first passengers off and into the chilly London air. Given the lack of stock in the platforms at this time of a Saturday I almost turned immediately right and up onto the overbridge towards the H&C line, but for some reason decided to do my usual sweep of the platforms. It ended up being an excellent decision as, lurking in the mist was my final 387, 159, which I took a rubbish celebratory picture of that I don't need to inflict upon anybody. That's all 107 387s done and signaled the sounding of the first class clearance cannon of the day, and a fourth of the trip thus far.

With that I did then make my way to the deserted H&C platforms, taking it to Farringdon where a dud 700 took me to London Bridge. With nowhere open for breakfast at 0600 on a Saturday, I hopped onto a pair of very tatty 465s (You'll note I've almost given up recording numbers of movements already, such was my weariness), and sped through the lifting gloom towards Abbey Wood, hoping to see the GBRF 66 that's been stationed there for what seems like an eternity as it assists with the ongoing Crossrail works. Sadly it was too dark to see the work site properly as I passed so, after alighting at Abbey Wood and visiting Greggs for a tea and a pastry, I returned 30 minutes later, with sunrise now in full swing, and made the reverse journey, this time managing to cop 66757. Just four 66s left to get now (1xDBC, 1xColas and 2xGBRF).

Back at London Bridge it was still only just after seven, but thankfully Leon was open, so I could grab a tea and some 'Porridge of the Gods' (Porridge, banana and dark chocolate, highly recommended), before picking up another dud 700 back to St Pancras, where it was then onto the Victoria Line for a short hop to Finsbury Park. For once GTR were running a Saturday service, and got a pair of 313s up to Hornsey, passing my first 717, 010, at Ferme Park as we approached. Jumping off at Hornesy I made my way to the footbridge to see what the binoculars could pick up on the depot, and was rewarded with a plethora of new 717s, from 003-009 inclusive, as well as a bonus in the shape of 700148. All done here I took what's likely to be my final set of 313s, staying on all the way to Moorgate, just for old times sake.

As I arrived the TfL wifi allowed access to some encouraging gen, and so it was back aboard the H&C, this time to get off at Baker Street. Sadly the heavens had opened and it was a wet walk to Marylebone, where I joined half of China in making my way towards platform 6, where 168107 was just pulling in to form the next Oxford service. I watch everybody cram onto that, much amusement was forthcoming, and also had a bit of close up Cat rumbling to wake me up a bit, before it's place was taken on platform 3 by 168217, my penultimate 168. It was around 10 minutes late, which threatened my next couple of moves, but he who dares wins, so it was a brisk march down to the Bakerloo, changing at Oxford Circus (ugh, how appalling this station is on a Saturday when full of dawdling shoppers) for the 15 minute journey east to Stratford.

The rain was falling in spades now, and I took shelter under the overbridge for 10 minutes before 321304 and two fellow dusty bins screeched in, knocking my remaining 321s down to just two, both of whom weren't out to play today. For another time, perhaps. I took the aforementioned dustys down to Liverpool Street, went for a quick PNB, then it was to the H&C line for the third time today and back to Marylebone, not even 60 minutes since I was last there, and the arrival of 168322, which cleared not only the 168s, but also Chiltern as a whole:

20181006_123810.jpg

Thoroughly chuffed, and with luck seemingly on my side (a pinch of gen in there, but they still need to be in the right place at the right time), I thought I'd see in the SWR strike-buster suburban services would chuck up my last 456. Bakerloo to Waterloo it was, and a surprisingly sparse mainline concourse. None of the 456s in situ were the elusive unit, so I boarded a 455/455/456 combo for the short run to Clapham Junction and spent an hour observing the workings in and out. I saw 20 456s, none of which were the one outstanding unit I need, so yet again I was thwarted. I'm destined never to see 003 it would seem!

With rain still pouring and in need of a PNB I jumped on a 377 combo and headed for East Croydon, a timewasting move mainly as I was due back at Euston in around 90 minutes. In the end, it turned out to be quite effective, as is often the case with the moves made to pass the time. I arrived to find 700126 about to head to Three Bridges, and then also caught 73136+73201 on RHTT duty heading towards London Bridge. I also got 171727 sat on Selhurst depot, which leaves just one solitary 171 to get to clear that class as well.

And with that, a dud 700 arrived for the quick/slow journey up to St Pancras via London Bridge, before the walk through the back streets to Euston for the 1540 home. It was staggeringly empty, I think I had coach D to myself save for a lady at the other end, and all that was left was to pick up 345049 at Crewe works. After that I missed the 2x150s back to New Mills Newtown from Stockport, so, in a narrative that brings me neatly full circle, got the 'Skyline' bus back home.

All things considered, I had a productive and interesting 38 hours! I can tick the Riviera sleeper off the list, even if sleep was at a premium (I want to do the Caley sleeper when the new stock arrives, but probably in a berth), and also got to explore the stunning Cornish coast, which I think I'll return to for a holiday with the wife next year, possibly by train. More importantly, I scored a number of good winners (48), cleared six classes (143, 150, 153, 168, 387 and 444), one TOC (Chiltern), and chipped away at a few more to get them close to the winning line as well.

Looking ahead, I think that might be my last ever big trip, certainly for the next year or so until enough of the new Anglia units are in service to make a trip there productive. I no longer need to go to the South West, and all the other places I need to go, such as Scotland or London, can be done in a day. I am planning a day around Doncaster and Toton early next month (weather permitting), as there are a number of 60s, 66s and 67s in various yards that I want shot of, but I think otherwise I might be done for the year. If that does prove to be the case I'll do a round up as and when activity does cease for 2018 with a progress report.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
A good outing and very beneficial in clearing up so many classes......and there's me celebrating clearing the 139s ;):lol::E

palmersears

Established Member
A good outing and very beneficial in clearing up so many classes......and there's me celebrating clearing the 139s ;):lol::E
The 139s were the first class I cleared as well!

If the stars align you might clear a class today, you never know.

palmersears

Established Member
Up the Junction - 22/10/18

An early meeting in London on Tuesday meant an overnight stay, so it was off to London mid-afternoon, beginning on 390119 for the journey down to Euston. I'd anticipated a new 345 at the Arriva works in Crewe, but sadly it appeared to have been cancelled. Instead, I was offered and gratefully accepted, a sight of my last Colas shed, 66848, which was just about to leave Basford Hall for Wales. It leaves me with just a couple of 70s left to clear Colas (in terms of mainline traction at least), and was a nice start. After that, there was very little of note for a while. I had half hoped the Tesco Express would be coming through Rugby northbound as we passed through south, as it would possibly have been my last 88 doing the pulling, but alas that was cancelled as well, so that was it until an on-time arrival at Euston.

With bags dropped off at the hotel I was out into the capital. I wasn't really in the mood for prolonged festers tonight, but thankfully I was armed with gen from elsewhere regarding a few potential winners which would lessen the need to stand still in the increasingly chilly Autumnal London air. Euston Square to Farringdon first up, allowing a quick up and over to the southbound mainline platform for 700114 down to Blackfriars. Here I spent a while racking up dud 700s (not a surprise given I need just 8 out of 115), but after 30 minutes or so I made my way across to platform 4 for the arrival of the Beckenham Junction peak-time shuttle, consisting of 465032+446007, my penultimate 466 to enter the book.

With that it was back up and under to platform 1, and aboard 700155 for the short crawl to London Bridge. I've not been here during a rush hour since the rebuild, and it was absolute chaos, but I managed to fight my way (almost literally), to my usual spot at the country end of platforms 6/7 to see what was coming and going. The gloom made it difficult to get numbers from units through platforms 1/2, but I knew that wasn't to be the main focus anyway given, after 15 minutes, 465178 trundled in with 466002 in tow on its way to Gravesend. Penultimate 465 downed, which leaves me with just six SouthEastern units left to get. I did have 45 minutes or so to see if any of the 375s I needed were passing through, but alas they weren't and I had to call it quits there as I had an appointment elsewhere.

700145 was next up, returning me to Blackfriars, where I alighted to wait for 700014 up to West Hampstead Thameslink. The quick walk across to West Hampstead, where I was momentarily confused by the temporary layout brought about by the ongoing building work, and it was down to the westbound platforms for 378201 to Willesden Junction. It was eerily quiet, but the silence of the late evening was eventually broken by the recognizable 'yingging' of an approaching 66. I crossed my fingers, and was rewarded when my final DBC/DBS/EWS shed, 66002 clattered around the curve:

20181022_202939.jpg

I stood and watch it as it dragged its sand hoppers down to Acton, and then headed for the lower level platforms back towards Euston just as 378226 pulled in. Heading around the back of the Overground Depot not long after we departed also threw up a couple of new 710s, 264 & 269 hiding on the back roads that you can't see from the WCML proper. And that was that after just two hours!

All in all, very pleased. The SouthEastern units are a pain to track down at this stage given just how spread out the network is, so I will probably just wait for gen on these going forwards instead of endlessly standing at London Bridge or Victoria. I've also got a couple of 395s to do, but an evening peak at Stratford International will get those, and the Eurostar units can keep me going in the lulls. Mainly though I'm just delighted to get that bloody 66. I've narrowly missed it approximately 16 times over the last 6 months in various locations, so to finally tick it off is a major bonus. It just leaves two 67s and a 92 to get of the operational DBC fleet (there are two 92s in France but I'm not that dedicated!).

Looking forward, I'm in Bournemouth in a couple of weeks for work, so might see if I can see the 442s at the depot, and then it's a couple more trips to London before the year is out, so I might be able to get a few more winners down there. I don't think there will be a target trip anywhere else, although I note all my remaining 60s are currently on Tyneside so if cost allows that might be an option.

Far north 37

Established Member
Congrats on clearing the dbc 66s im down to three myself you also got the last colas 66 im after as well missed it by a couple of minutes last week.
The layout at west hampstead is a bit of a nuisance at the moment not sure how long the work going to run on for.

palmersears

Established Member
Congrats on clearing the dbc 66s im down to three myself you also got the last colas 66 im after as well missed it by a couple of minutes last week.
The layout at west hampstead is a bit of a nuisance at the moment not sure how long the work going to run on for.
Which three are eluding you?

Yeah I've not been to West Hampstead for a while, got through the barriers and turned left automatically only to be met with a wall! Any idea what the work is for? Step free access?

Far north 37

Established Member
Which three are eluding you?

Yeah I've not been to West Hampstead for a while, got through the barriers and turned left automatically only to be met with a wall! Any idea what the work is for? Step free access?
66093 171 and 200 the last of the uk based ones im after they fairly scattered about at the moment but hopefully should catch them eventually.
There building a bigger ticket office at west hampstead and putting lifts to the platforms to make it step free.

Mills444

66093 171 and 200 the last of the uk based ones im after they fairly scattered about at the moment but hopefully should catch them eventually.
There building a bigger ticket office at west hampstead and putting lifts to the platforms to make it step free.
I saw 66200 in Eastleigh east yard just a couple of hours ago so if you are able to get there it might still be there tomorrow

The_Train

Established Member
Always nice to get an unexpected reward and even better when it finishes off a class for a particular operator. Your work commitments have certainly played a good part in your quest to get that sight book filled in

palmersears

Established Member
19 November - The Social Network(ers)

Since last we spoke I've not done much. However one plus point of my commute is that it takes me passed Edge Hill depot (when the stars align and my first train from New Mills gets to Piccadilly on time), and the delivers of 195s and 331s that will revolutionise train travel in the North(...) have begun to pick up now. As such I can add 195107 to the list of winners.

I also went down to Bournemouth for work at the beginning of the month, and to pass the time on the afternoon of my arrival I wandered down to the depot on the way out towards Boscombe to see if any of the few remaining 442s were on site. Sadly the fencing around the depot restricted vantage points rather, but I did manage to see 442404, which leave four units remaining to clear the class. I also snaffled a bonus by way of 73235 which now looks quite sorry for itself.

The main trip recently however was Monday's dash around the capital after work. Departing Liverpool on a lightly loaded mid-afternoon 390 I picked up another new CAF DMU on Edge Hill, this time 190109, but after that it was disappointingly quiet. No new 345 at Crewe (are these still squatting at Crewe works?), and after speed restrictions around Weedon we eventually arrived 16 late.

After dropping my bag off I headed out into the chilly London night armed with gen for a number of bits and pieces. First up was St Pancras, and after a nice walk down Euston Road I swung by the Eurostar platforms first up. I'm not going out of my way to get the 373s and 374s, likelihood is I'll never get that many of them, but I'm not going to turn a winner down, so added 3220 & 4034 in to the book. With 25 minutes until the first bit of info was due in I bought my travelcard and headed for the Thameslink platforms to see if any bonus 700s were due through. Not much doing if truth be told, but 700120 did show up halfway through to get me down to seven outstanding. Back into the busy station proper after that, and up to the High Speed platforms just as 395017 pulled in from Ramsgate. It leaves me with just 008 to find to clear the Javelins.

Down to the Victoria line after that for the short blast down to Victoria itself. It's remarkable just how quickly the 2009 stock are now beginning to show their age now, I recall they looked quite decent when I left London permanently a few years back, but they need a bit of TLC now.

Victoria at 2000 was strangely quiet, and I had a mooch around briefly before I readied the cannon for the slightly late arrival of 465902, my last remaining 465. Here's an arty picture of it as it arrived:

20181119_194132.jpg

No time to celebrate, time was against me as I was back down to the Victoria line, taking it down to Green Park for the journey south of the river to London Bridge. As I made my way onto platforms 8/9 the weather had taken a turn for the worse, with driving rain doing its best to spoil the moment as 466001 pulled in at the head of an ex-Crayford service. Second canon fired, clearing the 466s and the Networkers as a whole. It seemed only right I take a trip aboard to mark the occasion, so the short leap to Waterloo East was had, where a picture was had:

20181119_203034.jpg
From here I wandered through to Waterloo itself, looking to greet my final 456. Sadly all I was met by was a wall of delayed services following the morning's debacle of late running engineering works. I half-heartedly scanned the sparse platforms to see if it was around, but knew in the back of my mind that it was a forlorn task. Thus the 456 continues to evade me.

I was at a loss now. With nowhere in London really now suitable for prolonged festers given I need only a handful of units, I decided Paddington was my best bet for some 800s and 802s. To the Bakerloo it was, and the journey to Paddington utilised to get the Evening Standard crossword done in a new record time. They must have made them easier since I used to do them on the evening commute!

The usual sweep of Paddington was done when I arrived above ground, and threw up 800305 but that was it, so I had a quick time wasting move aboard a dud 345 to see if anything was viewable through the gloom at North Pole. As you'd expect most of the stock stabled there was too far away to ID in the dark, but nearer the mainline I did manage to get 802019. That was all she wrote, as a quick up and over at Ealing Broadway and back to Paddington was utilised to get me back to the Bakerloo for a quick trip back to Regents Park and my bed for the night.

A decent haul for 3 hours work, two classes cleared and just three units to find to clear SouthEastern; two 375s and a 395, which I hope to get next week when I'm back in London yet again. I have all my digits crossed that the 456 is out as well as I'm frankly sick of constantly missing it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.