• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Palmersears' Jaunts

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
A nice outing to the capital and very worthwhile to get 2 classes cleared. Congrats on that.

As for the 345s there has been no movement on the Crewe-Rugby test path for nigh on 2 weeks now and the last information I was given was that there isn't a 345 at Crewe at the moment. Don't know how true that is though

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

palmersears

Established Member
As for the 345s there has been no movement on the Crewe-Rugby test path for nigh on 2 weeks now and the last information I was given was that there isn't a 345 at Crewe at the moment. Don't know how true that is though
Last two times I've been passed there's been no unit there. Having seen the sheer number of them parked up at Old Oak Common on Monday night I would wager they're probably running out of space to store new arrivals at present.

The_Train

Established Member
Last two times I've been passed there's been no unit there. Having seen the sheer number of them parked up at Old Oak Common on Monday night I would wager they're probably running out of space to store new arrivals at present.

That would certainly explain it. Last one I saw was 052 on 31/10 and the only news I've seen since then was that 057 was seen at Bombardier by @Skymonster. They usually move from there to Crewe, spend a week up and down the WCML and then disappear to London town so I'd be interested to know if 057 is still at Bombardier

palmersears

Established Member
That would certainly explain it. Last one I saw was 052 on 31/10 and the only news I've seen since then was that 057 was seen at Bombardier by @Skymonster. They usually move from there to Crewe, spend a week up and down the WCML and then disappear to London town so I'd be interested to know if 057 is still at Bombardier

I've found a list elsewhere that seems to suggest 052 is now at Old Oak. Indeed all up to 053 (bar 004 which is back at Derby for modificaiton testing) are on one side of London or the other.

palmersears

Established Member
Capital Gains - 26/11/18

Another night in London, where I seem to be far more than my own home at present. One of the few pluses is that it gives me evenings to amble around the capital mopping up the last few loose ends of my outstanding sightings. After a peculiar day at work it was off out into the evening, with the Bakerloo from Regents Park down to Waterloo first up. Continuing my record of fast Evening Standard crossword finishes I ascended into the station proper armed with a bit of gen, but firstly decided on a quick trip to Vauxhall to see if the last 456 I needed was out and about.

Half an hour was spent watching duds go by, and I was starting to feel a bit queezy if truth be told, which I put down to a lack of hydration earlier in the day. It's this I blame for a momentary taking of my eyes from the ball, as a 456 passed through at the head of a Strawberry Hill service that I was 95% certain was the missing piece of the SWR puzzle. I was going to mark it down as a winner, but I fired up RTT to plot the next few movements and, noting it was due back in an hour, I put the red pen back in the pocket and set off onto the Victoria line and up to St Pancras.

Here it was the seemingly endless walk to the High Speed platforms, where I dutifully waited in the refreshing cold (still queezy) for the stock to roll in that formed the next Broadstairs service. The gen was good, and leading the way of the ECS was 395008, the last Javelin required:

20181126_174515.jpg
Sound the cannon!

In celebratory mood it was down to the low level platforms to find the next London Bridge service. My luck was in, as whilst I waited 700130 pulled in heading north, whittling the 700s down to just six remaining. The next Brighton service pulled in a couple of minutes late, and we were then held outside City Thameslink for 5 minutes, so I frustratingly missed the next bit of gen. However I knew it would be back later in the evening...

Instead I decided to chance my arm on the two remaining 375s I need being out during the evening peak. 45 minutes in dudsville sadly seemed to suggest they were not, and with nothing else of note I went down to Leon for tea, polishing it off in good time to get a pair of 465s back to Waterloo East.

Waterloo itself, as was the scene last week, had descended into mild chaos, with signalling issues at Clapham Junction causing all manner of commuter woe. Thankfully the return of what I hoped was 456003 hadn't been capped short, and it eventually arrived 15 late, with the 456 at the far end. Crossing my fingers I walked the 14 miles to the end of the platform, and was greeted thus:

20181126_193430.jpg
Finally, after what I calculate to be 25 failed attempts over the course of 18 months, I snared the last 456, and the last of the SWR EMUs. Cannon!

To mark the occasion it was only right I took a ride on my old nemesis, doing so for a stop-start journey to Clapham, before changing onto a 377 for the short spin to East Croydon. Again my luck was in here, as 700153 showed up not 5 minutes in to my stay, knocking another 700 off the list, and leaving 5 of the 115 left to find.

The real reason I descended upon the world's coldest station arrived 15 minutes later. The distinct diesel chug of the ex-Uckfield 171s soon broke the silence, with the rear being brought up by 171724, not only the last 171 I needed, but also the last of Southern's entire fleet of 300 units. As with my red friend earlier, it was only right I go for a spin, doing so to London Bridge, where the now traditional photo was captured:

20181126_205927.jpg
With that it was back onto Thameslink and to Farringdon, before a quick interchange onto the H&C. I briefly toyed with going to Paddington for some IET hunting, but I was still feeling a bit peaky, so instead it was off at Great Portland Street and back to the hotel to type this all up!

All told, an excellent four hours work. Three classes and a TOC cleared, despite my best efforts to let the 456 off the hook again, and a couple of bonus 700s in the bag as well. Next time I'm down I hope I can get a bit of gen on the two 321s and two 375s I need, as after that it's pretty much all 700s, 717s and IETs. I'd set myself a target of getting to that point (needing only post 2016 stock) by March 2019 (when my railcard runs out) so I'm pleased to be very much on track with that. I think that's probably my last trip for 2018, although I might try and sneak one in before I do my end of year review.

Last edited:

03_179

Established Member
Glad you got the two (395008, 171724) sorry I was a bit late posting the allocations.

palmersears

Established Member
Glad you got the two (395008, 171724) sorry I was a bit late posting the allocations.
No apology needed, I'm most grateful for your help. It's a needle in a haystack scenario so even the smallest bit of info really helps the cause!

Established Member
Congrats on those clearances palmersears. I'm catching up with your thread, so im.going back over your thread. It may take a while due to breaking my glasses, I'm awaiting a new pair from my optician. So I'm dipping in and out of here. However since i last read your postings, its been an incredible journey, your pursuits have seen you an half rope them in by the absolute boat load. Iit doesn't seem.too long ago, since you made your debut here on this very forum.
I doff my cap.to you squire.

Last edited:

palmersears

Established Member
Congrats on those clearances palmersears. I'm catching up with your thread, so im.going back over your thread. It may take a while due to breaking my glasses, I'm awaiting a new pair from my optician. So I'm dipping in and out of here. However since i last read your postings, its been an incredible journey, your pursuits have seen you an half rope them in by the absolute boat load. Iit doesn't seem.too long ago, since you made your debut here on this very forum.
Veryu kind of you, 47403.

I think I first started recording sighting back in February 2016, so in just under three years I've managed to record almost 5300 unique sightings (that covers steam and Metrolink as well), which I think is pretty good going. If I can get the pre-2016 stock done by the end of next year then I can have a bit of a break.

87electric

Hope you do finish your sightings off to make for a tidy book.
After sightings will you swap to haulages to continue hearing clearance cannons?
My last pre 2016 unit for haulage was a 375 out in the peak. That unit class was tricky to nail.

palmersears

Established Member
Hope you do finish your sightings off to make for a tidy book.
After sightings will you swap to haulages to continue hearing clearance cannons?
My last pre 2016 unit for haulage was a 375 out in the peak. That unit class was tricky to nail.

No haulage plans to be honest, it just doesn't really take my fancy enough. There will always be new stock to spot, and I can foresee a substantial break in proceedings when kids arrive on the scene in the next couple of years!

The_Train

Established Member

I have to echo these thoughts as I remember that this thread was one of the first I read in the trip reports section when I joined here back in the summer and the progress that was made with each new outing was remarkable. A lot of the threads on here added little bits of motivation for me to get back out there but this thread was really relatable as it showed someone starting from scratch and the process they took to get the cannons sounding on a regular basis. This is a must read thread for anyone starting out with a clean slate!

It's been an impressive road to rope in all of the winners you have @palmersears and as @47403 did, I also doth my cap to you sir.

palmersears

Established Member
Very kind of you, train, nice to see my jaunts have provided the inspiration for others to go and enjoy the railways in whatever way most suits them. I've been in a fortunate position really with jobs that provide ample time for ambling around the country spotting.

Established Member
Congratulations on all those cannons, your ears must be ringing :)
I love the shot of 465902, by the way.

I'll see your 18 months to get the last 456 and raise you nine and a quarter years between seeing my penultimate 313 and the last one...

palmersears

Established Member
Palmersears' Review of the Year - Part 1 (Locos)

I think, barring any nice surprises, I'm done for 2018, so it's time to look back on where I'm up to with each class, and to see what there is to look forward to in 2019.

It's not been as busy a year as 2017, only 894 winners were had, but last year I could still go out and come back with 100+ hauls, whereas I'm now plugging tiny holes in classes and operators. I've still had a number of excellent days out, including Scotland, Cardiff and Toton, as well as a wonderful two-day trip around the South West and London and the frequent trips to the capital for work still provide the opportunity to get some decent winners in the bag.

Let's take a look through key classes. Green means they're cleared, red means I need less than 10% of the fleet. I've left a few of the quirkier loco classes out to save on space!

Locomotives

20 - 19/51 - 37%

Still a fair number to see here, and I'm a bit dissapointed I didn't make it to Sheffield when the Michael Owen pair were on RHTT duty in October. That said I'm sure they'll pop up somewhere again soon.

37 - 72/100 - 72%
Good going here, with most of the in-service 37s done, save for 901 after it's recent transfer to Europhoenix. The rest are all at preservation locations.

43 - 193/194 - 99%
With 005 and 176 falling in February I now just need 43132, up in Scotland, to clear the HSTs. One for the wishlist early next year I think.

56 - 33/34 - 97%
Just 097 at the GCR to clear the grids. I picked up a bumper crop of them with visits to Nottingham and Leicester on a lovely day in May, so all of the mainline 56s are now done.

57 - 26/33 - 79%
Having picked up a number of the 57s at Carnforth back in February there's only two of these left now that are gettable. 002 has been in Anglia on RHTT so may return north soon I hope, whilst 011 is allegedly at Gresty Bridge, not that I've managed to see it. The rest are all in storage at Longtown so I doubt they'll ever be ticked off.

59 - 14/15 - 93%
Since 003 fell in May I've been chasing 103 around the south of the UK, narrowly missing it at least seven times during various trips to London. It always appears to be leaving Acton just before I arrive, or arriving just after I leave, but I will get it in 2019!

60 - 98/100 - 98%
Having picked up 60026 last week now that it's on the Mackerfield stone run from Tuebrook I'm down to just two Tugs. Both GBRF ones, one currently at Tyne Dock, the other on exam at Toton. Maybe ones for early 2019 if they remain where they are. Failing that I'll just have to wait for the GBRF tugs to rotate through Liverpool and hope their turn comes fairly soon.

66 - 384/386 - 99%
It's been an excellent year for shed hunting. Freightliner's were cleared at Peterborough back in May, DRS' at Doncaster (also in May), Colas' were done when I got 848 at Basford Hall in October, whilst the crowning glory was getting 002 at Willesden on the same day, meaning DBC's are also a goner. That just leaves me with 746 & 773 to clamp eyes on...

67 - 28/30 - 93%
Three further skips were added to the log in 2018, two in one go top and tail a charter at London Victoria in February, with a further offering from the spotting Gods accepted at Donny in May. That just leaves 028 and 030 to find. The latter is on Thunderbird duties in the North East, whilst the latter has been sat at Toton for 6 months. I might see about getting it over Christmas should it remain there.

68 - 34/34 - 100%
Be gone with you, Cats! When 028 fell in May that was that. I've seen these all over the place, from Crewe to Cardiff, Edinburgh to Eastleigh, and they always bring a smile to the face, particularly if you catch one from a standing start.

70 - 34/36 - 94%
Having cleared the Freightliner fleet last year, I've since added a couple of further Colas representatives. The last two, 807 and 815, seem to be permanently stuck in the south-west and given I don't need to go down there any more, I really need them to drop onto the Chirk logs or Dagenham cars to get them. *Crosses fingers and toes*

73 - 24/39 - 62%
Having picked up a couple of 73s in Scotland in February, and then a few more at Tonbridge in July, there's now a smattering of mainline winners left to find, again either on sleeper work up norf, or at Tonbridge. Both are options for the new year, with the latter destination easily doable in an evening after a work trip.

86 - 21/21 - 100%
I'll be honest, I didn't think I'd reach this point. With 229 and 251 both in Booth's I thought I'd be forever stuck on 19, but when I got wind that both were to be reprieved (if only to act as Christmas trees for the rest of the fleet), I was over to Basford Hall pronto in July to get them in the book.

88 - 9/10 - 90%
All year I've tried to track 010 down to complete the set, but alas it's evaded me. Currently up in Cumbria on flask duties I need it to drop back onto the Tesco Express really so I can pop over to Acton Bridge and finally get it in the book.

90 - 50/50 - 100%

91 - 31/31 - 100%

92 - 30/36 - 83%

With most of those outstanding currently somewhere in France the only feasible Dyson I need is 042. Not the easiest to get given it only really ventures away from Dollands Moor to Ripple Lane late at night, so maybe it's one for when the evenings get lighter, or when I can be bothered to go all the way out to Kent.

Part 2 will be DMUs!

87electric

92021 and 92040 were recently returned back to UK. If you need them of course.

Last edited:

palmersears

Established Member
92021 and 92040 were recently returned back to UK. If you need them of course.

I do! I'm hoping to mop up a few bits and pieces around that way in early 2019, so might add them to the list. I know 040 is on blocks outside so is viewable.

Nice update - but what about shunters???

Ahh yes! Not too bad, but I doubt they'll ever get even close to done, particularly the 08s:

08 - 89/236 - 38%
09 - 8/22 - 36%

DMUs

139 - 2/2 - 100%

142 - 94/94 - 100%
Just the one nodding donkey added in 2018, but it was most significant. As 072 rolled in on a wet February morning it signified the clearing of the class, to much (internal) fanfare! There's no doubt they're now terrible things to travel on - I do it every day, it's awful in winter - but they've served a real purpose and got the rail industry out of a sticky spot many years ago. I do hope they preserve one.

143 - 23/23 - 100%
Another triumphant clearing of a Pacer class, with five falling in 2018 to get all 23 done before they go for scrap (allegedly) next year. The last to fall was 603 at Exter St Davids in October. Also one of the few classes I've not actually travelled on, oddly.

144 - 23/23 - 100%

150 - 136/136 - 100%
God I hate these things. Tired, always too bloody hot, Northern can't be bothered to clean them, and the new refurbishment is genuinely dreadful. The only upside is that having copped 12 new sightings in 2018, they are cleared for sight. The last to fall was 125 at Par in October, and I was helped massively by a number of those required transferring up to Northern from GWR over the summer making them easier to hunt down.

153 - 70/70 - 100%
Yet another class cleared in October, with 329 the last to fall, again at Exter St Davids. I've actually been far and wide to get these done, with Norwich, Derby, Cardiff, Exter and Manchester all visited. My journey on one from Derby to Crewe in May ranks as one of the worst I've ever had...

155 - 7/7 - 100%

156 - 112/114 - 98%
Nearly there with these now. Having picked up one in Norwich and six in Glasgow I need just two further Scottish units to get the class ticked off. Slight needle in a haystack job, but I'm toying with the idea of a two day trip in early March to get them done.

158 - 162/168 - 96%
Another that is almost done, and I've picked up a smattering from across Northern (the two that I needed that transferred from Scotrail), Scotrail and SWR. Still, three needed north of the border and two in SWR-land, as well as one that has recently transferred to Northern. Hopefully, that one will be out and about soon.

159 - 30/30 - 100%
Done! Cleared at Clapham Junction on 2 February.

165 - 75/75 - 100%
The final three all fell in one short stint at Marylebone in April, when I spent most of the time dodging tourists heading to Bicester Village.

166 - 21/21 - 100%

168 - 28/28 - 100%
Another class to fall in 2018, and as with the 165s they all fell in one short stint at Marylebone, but this time in October. Thus Chiltern is done and I'll not be visiting again for some time I would imagine.

170 - 117/119 - 98%
Almost there, with just two Scotrail units to go. Another reason for the potential trip mentioned above.

171 - 20/20 - 100%
Quite prolific with these in 2018, getting no fewer than nine in the book, mostly when passing Selhurst depot of a weekend. The final 171 to fall was 724, which I waited far too long at a freezing East Croydon for last month. Needs must, as it also cleared Southern!

172 - 39/39 - 100%

175 - 27/27 - 100%

180 - 14/14 - 100%

185 - 51/51 - 100%

195 - 7/58 - 12%
It's quite handy travelling past Edge Hill on the way to work each day, as it's allowed me to get a bit of a head start on these as they're delivered. They look smart if nothing else.

DEMUs

220 - 34/34 - 100%

221 - 44/44 - 100%

222 - 27/27 - 100%

230 - 1/5 - 20%

EMUs

313 - 64/64 - 100%
A bumper crop of 313s harvested in 2018, with most being felled in one go when I visited Brighton and the surrounding area for my birthday in January. Two GTR units then fell in March to let off another cannon.

314 - 16/16 - 100%

315 - 61/61 - 100%

317 - 72/72 - 100%
Got these done after much searching when 892 finally came out to play on 20 July.

318 - 21/21 - 100%

319 - 79/83 - 95%
All of the in-service 319s are secured, there's just three in store I need. One is due to go to GWR as a 769 eventually, so that might be a winner, but I doubt the other two will see the light of day again, sadly.

320 - 30/30 - 100%
I needed to reclear these when a couple of 321s were converted but managed to do that in September. Cannon!

321 - 117/117 - 100%
The dusty bins are done as well! Down in London two weeks' ago I got word the final two were out and about, and rather handily they both appeared at Liverpool Street on adjacent platforms within 5 minutes of each other. I've lost track of how long it's been since getting the third to last and then these two, but it was worth it, as it also clears Greater Anglia, at least until the new units start entering service.

322 - 5/5 - 100%

323 - 43/43 - 100%

325 - 15/15 - 100%

After getting 17 of these in 6 months during 2017 I've then slowed to one a year since. 006 was the last to go, doing so at a lovely warm Stafford on summer's eve.

331 - 3/43 - 7%
See 195s.

332 - 14/14 - 100%

333 - 16/16 - 100%

334 - 40/40 - 100%
Yet another class done this year, with 034 last to go back at Glasgow Central in February.

345 - 42/70 - 60%
I've got most of those that have been delivered to Old Oak or Ilford, and I'm waiting upon the rest now.

350 - 87/87 - 100%

357 - 74/74 - 100%
Class and C2C cleared when I spent an hour at Fenchurch Street in April to get the last four.

360 - 26/26 - 100%

365 - 40/40 - 100%

373 - 12/44 - 27%

374 - 14/34 - 41%

375 - 111/112 - 99%
Managed to chip 23 off the total this year, which is good going. I managed to get 307 at London Bridge a couple of weeks ago, leaving just 812 to find in the new year.

376 - 36/36 - 100%

377 - 239/239 - 100%

Another to add to the 'be gone with you!' list. 12 accounted for in 2018, 139 the last to fall in March.

378 - 55/57 - 96%
I've been hunting 148 & 149 for ages now, but they're tricky units to track down. I sense a fester at Surrey Quays or Willesden for these.

379 - 30/30 - 100%
Another to add to the list, with the final one to fall being 027 at a decidedly chilly Bethnal Green in February.

380 - 38/38 - 100%
Six were needed at the beginning of the year, and all six were duly ticked off during a February trip. I clearly got so excited by this I then had to have the rest of the week off work sick with flu :lol:

385 - 6/70 - 9%

A start made on these, and I even had the displeasure of riding one from Haymarket to Queen Street. Them seats are not good.

387 - 107/107 - 100%
Getting tired of saying this now, but another class cleared in 2018! Got 23, mostly GWR representatives, with the last to fall being 159 at 0530 in the morning on a cold October morning after I'd arrived on the sleeper from Penzance.

390 - 56/56 - 100%

395 - 29/29 - 100%
Finished. It ended with Sir Ben Ainslie (008) pulling in to St Pancras last month. Good ol' Ben.

EMUs (3rd rail)

442 - 20/24 - 83%
Edging ever closer to finishing these off, having picked up random units at Eastleigh and Bournemouth. I hope once SWR actually bother to get them in to service I can grab the remainder, all of whom are due to be reinstated.

444 - 45/45 - 100%
Took me 10 months, but I finally cleared these in October, getting 040 during it's seemingly neverending visit to Eastleigh for refurb.

450 - 127/127 - 100%
12 January saw the final three of these red-penned, all at Clapham during the morning peak.

455 - 137/137 - 100%
Two were outstanding as we entered 2018, none remain. Last to go was 831 at London Bridge in April, which I'd been after for 6 months.

456 - 24/24 - 100%
I shudder recalling how long it took me to find 003. Even when I did find it I initially missed it and had to wait around Waterloo for another hour for it to return just to confirm what my eyes initially refused to believe.

458 - 36/36 - 100%

465 - 147/147 - 100%
Getting these really is a needle in a haystack effort, along with the 466s. Thankfully I've had a bit of help this year from various kind-hearted forum members, and the last one to fall being 902 at London Bridge in November.

466 - 43/43 - 100%
See above! Last to be spied was, slightly ironically, 001, which I found at Cannon Street a couple of weeks ago.

507 - 32/32 - 100%

508 - 29/29 - 100%

EMUs

700 - 110/115 - 96%
Doing
surprisingly well here. Whenever I visit London I always seem to get at least one winner, but I imagine that'll get rarer now I only need five!

707 - 30/30 - 100%

710 - 8/45 - 18%

All seen in one go when at Willesden with the binoculars a couple of weeks ago. Most haven't moved in ages.

717 - 8/25 - 32%
I had a trip out to Hornsey in November to see if any were visible. Luckily eight were, so I've made a good start to these as well.

769 - 1/3 - 33%
Technically it was 434 when it was a 319, but that's fine with me.

800 - 46/80 - 58%
Doing well here too. All but one of the 800/0s are done, and I've had a fair few of the 800/3s as well. Next time I venture over to Paddington I wager there won't be many HSTs left (:'() so the rate of winners will go up here.

801 - 2/42 - 5%
Two winners when out on test at Doncaster back in April.

802 - 8/60 - 13%
Mostly GWR, obviously, but I've also had a couple of test units enter the books during the same trip as above.

And that, as they say, is that!

As I've been typing this I'm surprised at just how many classes are now cleared. I've cleared 28 classes, four TOCs and one FOC in 2018, and now really only need smatterings elsewhere. My aim is still to get all pre-2016 stock done before March, which amounts to 22 units and 13 mainline locos, after which I reckon I'll scale things back considerably.

Thanks to all those who have read my ramblings this year, for the advice that's been dished out, and the gen that has enabled me to tick som many winners off.

Happy Christmas, see you in 2019!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
For the 378/1s, the best place to fester will be on the East London Line as they don't work anywhere else (only the dual-voltage 2s work North London Line & Watford DC services) :)

palmersears

Established Member
For the 378/1s, the best place to fester will be on the East London Line as they don't work anywhere else (only the dual-voltage 2s work North London Line & Watford DC services) :)
Good to know, Kite, ta. I remember getting a fair few at Surrey Quays one damp April afternoon, so will head there again.

Very impressive figures indeed palmersears. You certainly haven't let the grass grow under your feet.
Cheers. I've been lucky in a way with my job allowing for plenty of time off after long shifts, but it's been a labour of love all the same at times. If I can get the final few 'older' units done then I'll gladly slow the pace fair bit.

Nice list. Tube stock next? :D
And spend half my life underground?! Not for me.

433N

Those Scotrail 156/158s can be tricky little so-and-so's.

There are still a few I 'need' and I live up here. They could be 'oop north'.

When some 156s recently transferred to Heaton, I thought to myself that probably, on average, they will actually be closer to me.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The only underground lines you need to spend all the time underground is the Victoria* & Waterloo & City line.

(* The depot is visible from the Tottenham Hale - Cheshunt line, although I'm not sure how much will be visible).

All the other lines come out into the open :)

palmersears

Established Member
(20)19 going on 60 - Jan/Feb Update

A belated happy new year to all. Having reached a milestone recently I thought it a good point at which to update on what progress has been made so far since the turn of the year.

I’ve continued to pick off the new CAF stock arriving at Edge Hill, with 195002, 195112, 331106 and 331107 all picked up over the last month or so. It’s becoming rather crowded on the depot roads now (so much so a couple of 195s have gone to Allerton), and I’m very much looking forward to hopefully sampling them in May, although I’m not holding my breath...

Speaking of Allerton, I ticked off my first ‘proper’ 769 there in mid-January, with 769431 being tended to by a number of orange hi-vis types. It then proceeded to stand in the same spot for three weeks before disappearing around the back of the depot, so I do wonder if it’ll see service any time soon. The same journey also saw me pick up 60002, which had rotated off the Tyne Docks flows to come and work the Ashton-in-Makerfield stone turns.

26 January saw a last minute decision to head for London, but with time not an issue I decided to go via Derby to pick up some of the Michael Owen 20s residing at the RTC depot. 185 to Sheffield first up, then a fairly sparse 222 down through Derby, with the 20s front and centre as I’d hoped. That meant 20007, 20142, 20189 and 20205 all entered the book, along with a bonus couple of cops by way of 37607 and DBSO 9701, the last DBSO required from Network Rail and DRS.

After that it was a pleasant journey down the MML, 37901 a winner at Leicester LIP, and then noting the sporadic and patchy electrification attempts further down the line, before I managed to pick up 700049, 700121, 717002, 717015 and 717023 all on Cricklewood depot. Save for a lack of yellow front end the 717s are, as you’d expect, very similar to their older family members, and it makes the job of IDing them that bit more of a challenge.

Into St Pancras, picking up Eurostar winners 4005 and 4006, I collected my travel card and set off to Blackfriars armed with gen, stepping off my dud 700 just in time to catch 700041 arrive from Sutton. The three winners in that class now leave me just two to find. Another 700 followed to take me to London Bridge, where I changed onto a dud 375 for a spin (probably better classed as a fast crawl due to engineering works) to Tonbridge. Here I went for the 10 minute stroll through the quiet back streets, and the footbridge overlooking the GBRF yard, mainly to catch a glimpse of 73119 and 73128 having a weekend off. Sadly 141 was down at St Leonards, so remains the final hurdle between me and a clearance of the GBRF 73s.

A pit stop for lunch at Lidl was followed by the journey back to London, and across to one of my favourite spots, Ealing Broadway. A successful couple of hours, noting a distinct lack of HSTs, as six IET winners were achieved, namely 800032 (last 800/0), 800308, 800316, 802008, 802014 and 802021. I also had time for a lovely stroll along the canal around the back of Old Oak Common to have a look at the frankly shameful amount of 345s piling up in the sidings there, which yielded a number of winners; 026, 036, 038, 041, 048, 051, 052 and 053. To top off a very productive spell in West London I also managed to duck and weave enough from my passing 387 to get 800301, 800309, 800317, 802016, 802020 and 802108 scattered around North Pole.

After that things slowed down somewhat. I went up to Hornesy to see if any further 717s were viewable, thankfully 014 and 016 were, but that was followed by a barren 90 minute spell at Dalston Junction as I waited in vain for my last two 378s to show up. One for an evening rush hour I think.

And with that it was back home on a quiet 390. I still had time to bag 345054 and the impressive looking 397003 at Crewe LNWR (as was).

The crowning glory of my recent spots however has been 60056, secured at Tuebrook sidings last week, and my last required 60. The culmination of hours at Cardiff, Peak Forest and Tamworth, as well as scrambling for vantage points at Crewe IEMD and Toton, it was wonderful to finally clear the tugs, which are undoubtedly my favourite diesel loco.

Refreshed from my winter break, and with a nice mini trip under my belt, I’m now planning my first proper outing of 2019, which I think is going to be a final hurrah to Scotland in mid-March. I need 7 Scotrail DMUs, as well as a good number of the 385s and a random 321 that’s been reformed to make a 320, so if gen is forthcoming I should be able to clear them quite quickly, but I fancy making a couple of days of it and possible visiting Bo’ness as well. I also hope the final two 73s that work the sleeper stock are at Craigentinny when I visit, as I don’t want to go to the highlands to get them. I’ve had a brief look at hotels in Glasgow, which seem well-priced at present, and a Central Scotland Rover should cover me for trips to and from Edinburgh as required, as well as trips passed Coatbridge and Mossend to pick up a couple of shunters I need. I’ve managed to wangle getting a 26-30 railcard extension until January 2020 as well which helps!

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good day of the year for you Mr Ears :)

Enjoy your trip to Glasgow, there is good choice either within the city centre or close to Subway stations

Established Member
Cracking day out palmersears and an equally good read too.
Be aware some of the Cally EDs could be parked up at Aberdeen, I think I saw one at Dundee too. Mind you that was a while back.
Congrats on clearing the Tugs, my last 093, is still awaiting my viewing and has had for years, from Toton bank side

Status
Not open for further replies.