• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Palmersears' Jaunts

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
So things have been very quiet from me recently, with good reason, as very little has happened since my last mini report in October last year. In truth the winter months are always sparse, I've little interest in going out in the cold to wait around for a couple of required units, and life away from this 'challenge' has simply become more absorbing. I've still been keeping my eye in, the 195s, 331s, 397s, 802s and DTSOs now popping up in the North have kept me going, but I never got close to the SVR or Peak Rail, and don't think I will for a while. The heritage lines will be good to do once kids arrive...

I will do my customary yearly round-up of where things stand. If a class isn't listed, then it's been cleared:

Locomotives

20 - 27/50 - 54%: Every 20 that is currently cleared for mainline usage is in the book, just those at heritage sights remain

37 - 76/99 - 77%: I need to go and get 37146 at Europhoneix, but again, everything else is heritage.

47 - 52/77 - 68%: Again, heritage stuff only.

50 - 9/18 - 50%: A theme emerging here...

56 - 32/33 - 97%: Just 56097 at the GCR in Nottingham. COuld be persuaded to visit soon if it means clearing a class.

66 - 388/389 - 99%: Technically cleared, but I await 66791s release from Longport, hence the figures.

67 - 29/30 - 97%: 67030, now banished to Toton for bad behaviour, is all that's left.

70 - 35/36 - 97%: I've been after 70807 for two years now. It keeps travelling around the country taunting me. Currently in deepest, darkest Devon, so not one to go and get on a whim.

73 - 30/39 - 77%: Just 73141 that isn't at a preservation line. Might go and grab it at Tonbridge if I'm down in London in the spring.

92 - 30/33 - 91%: Just three left; 021 and 040 at Brush (and unlikely to ever escape), whilst 042 is tucked away at Crewe IEMD on the worlds longest exam. If that ever reappears I'll have to see if I can catch it's return south.

DMUs

156 - 113/114 - 99%: 156500 up in Scotland. Still. I thought I had it back in July, but alas it failed up in the Highlands and never returned back to Glasgow.

158 - 162/172 - 94%: This figure is skewed by the newly reformed GWR 158s, which I'd cleared years ago as 3-cars, but which are now back as 2-car formations. If I can be bothered then I might go and get them again, but I will probably end up going to Scotland to get 704 and then call it quits.

195 - 47/58 - 81%: One of the benefits of my commute to work is the daily trip past Edge Hill depot, where the 195s enter the rail network. This has allowed me to get all but 11 of them without having to go out of my way for them, which is nice. A couple have escaped to Yorkshire, but will no doubt cycle back through the north west at some point in the next 40 years...

EMUs

319 - 71/74 - 96%: The only ones left are in the depths of Long Marston, so I doubt I'll see them again.

331 - 36/43 - 84%: As with the 195s, I've snaffled most of these before they've even been out on test. All the four cars are done, with a handful of 3-cars left.

345 - 53/70 - 76%: The remainder of these can wait until Crossrail opens, whenever that might be.

385 - 57/70 - 81%: Now all 70 are in service I'm looking at a trip up to the Central Belt in early-Spring to finish these and the DMUs off.

397 - 9/12 - 75%: Most of the 9 were seen in 2019, either outside the Arriva works at Crewe, or at Longsight. Three remain, two of which are up in Scotland as training units. I'm sure once the full TPE roll out is done I'll catch them at Lime Street or Piccadilly.

399 - 5/7 - 71%: Almost did these in one 90 minute stint at Sheffield back in September, but alas 202 & 204 remain. Not to arduous a journey to get them if the mood takes.

EMUs (3rd rail)

442 - 20/24 - 83%: The ongoing farce with the reintroduction of these means I'm holding off going back for the last four.

EMUs

710 - 15/55 - 27%:
Picked up all 15 when flying past Willesden on the way to/from Euston. Again I'm going to wait for the full rollout to be completed before searching out the rest.

720 - 0/111 - 0%
745 - 0/20 - 0%
755 - 0/38 - 0%:
Grouping these three together, as the plan is to wait until they too are fully in service, and then go after them.

769 - 10/11 - 91%: Slightly misleading, as only 431 was seen in its current guise, the rest seen as 319s. Only 456 left to get.

800 - 69/80 - 86%: Just the LNER subclass to finish off, with GWR long since done.

801 - 4/42 - 10%: Off to Doncaster next week for some of these, fingers crossed.

802 - 49/60 - 82%: GWR's done, and I've made a good start on the TPE fleet as well now they're running out of Lime Street on the Newcastle services. Hopefully, Doncaster will chuck up a couple of the Hull Trains ones as well.

And that's it. Now I've gone through it all there really isn't much I need. My aim has always been to clear the old BR DMU stuff and then stop for a bit, which I think is still the plan, and I hope one final visit north of the border will see that mission accomplished. I'm off to Doncaster next week for a bit of birthday IET spotting, and the continued rollout of new Northern and TPE units will keep me going, but I doubt there will be that many dedicated outings in 2020. Life is moving in a different direction, and therefore so must I!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Doncaster will probably be good for your LNER Azumas, plus the Hull Trains 802s.

Cue when you return to Scotland that 158 will be hiding away in Inverness and won't be nice and easy popping down to work Anniesland services

433N

Sounds like you're pregnant !

I'm reminded that I really need to visit more heritage stuff and it is definitely one to do with kids (although big, steaming things blowing loud whistles can freak them out if they are too young).

If it's any consolation/incentive, I last saw 158704 south of the Forth last August and have previously seen it at Edinburgh, Newcraighall and South Gyle (I seem to remember that I saw it a couple of weeks back in Edinburgh too). Those 156s can be tricky though. I'm still needing one which I should really make a concerted effort for since they rarely come east now.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm noticing a significant lack of desire to really do that much with finishing the mission, although that's understandable. Especially at this time of year it's not easy to find enthusiasm for doing much at all railway related.

Certainly sounds like more important stuff is happening or soon will be. I can't say I blame you for shifting the enthusiasm over to whatever is going on, makes sense.

Overall it looks like you're almost done, and I have the same train of thought as you on the new Anglian stuff. Once it's in squadron service it'll be easier to clear a needs list. I've no doubt got a few 153s and 156s I need over there, and I don't want to think about how many 321s I haven't had. Not so fussed on them, the 360s are a pain in the proverbial, I may have to do something about them before they shift to EMR.

However, like yourself, there's far bigger fish to fry first!

Roger B

So things have been very quiet from me recently, with good reason, as very little has happened since my last mini report in October last year. In truth the winter months are always sparse, I've little interest in going out in the cold to wait around for a couple of required units, and life away from this 'challenge' has simply become more absorbing. I've still been keeping my eye in, the 195s, 331s, 397s, 802s and DTSOs now popping up in the North have kept me going, but I never got close to the SVR or Peak Rail, and don't think I will for a while. The heritage lines will be good to do once kids arrive...

I will do my customary yearly round-up of where things stand. If a class isn't listed, then it's been cleared:

Locomotives

20 - 27/50 - 54%: Every 20 that is currently cleared for mainline usage is in the book, just those at heritage sights remain

37 - 76/99 - 77%: I need to go and get 37146 at Europhoneix, but again, everything else is heritage.

47 - 52/77 - 68%: Again, heritage stuff only.

50 - 9/18 - 50%: A theme emerging here...

56 - 32/33 - 97%: Just 56097 at the GCR in Nottingham. COuld be persuaded to visit soon if it means clearing a class.

66 - 388/389 - 99%: Technically cleared, but I await 66791s release from Longport, hence the figures.

67 - 29/30 - 97%: 67030, now banished to Toton for bad behaviour, is all that's left.

70 - 35/36 - 97%: I've been after 70807 for two years now. It keeps travelling around the country taunting me. Currently in deepest, darkest Devon, so not one to go and get on a whim.

73 - 30/39 - 77%: Just 73141 that isn't at a preservation line. Might go and grab it at Tonbridge if I'm down in London in the spring.

92 - 30/33 - 91%: Just three left; 021 and 040 at Brush (and unlikely to ever escape), whilst 042 is tucked away at Crewe IEMD on the worlds longest exam. If that ever reappears I'll have to see if I can catch it's return south.

DMUs

156 - 113/114 - 99%: 156500 up in Scotland. Still. I thought I had it back in July, but alas it failed up in the Highlands and never returned back to Glasgow.

158 - 162/172 - 94%: This figure is skewed by the newly reformed GWR 158s, which I'd cleared years ago as 3-cars, but which are now back as 2-car formations. If I can be bothered then I might go and get them again, but I will probably end up going to Scotland to get 704 and then call it quits.

195 - 47/58 - 81%: One of the benefits of my commute to work is the daily trip past Edge Hill depot, where the 195s enter the rail network. This has allowed me to get all but 11 of them without having to go out of my way for them, which is nice. A couple have escaped to Yorkshire, but will no doubt cycle back through the north west at some point in the next 40 years...

EMUs

319 - 71/74 - 96%: The only ones left are in the depths of Long Marston, so I doubt I'll see them again.

331 - 36/43 - 84%: As with the 195s, I've snaffled most of these before they've even been out on test. All the four cars are done, with a handful of 3-cars left.

345 - 53/70 - 76%: The remainder of these can wait until Crossrail opens, whenever that might be.

385 - 57/70 - 81%: Now all 70 are in service I'm looking at a trip up to the Central Belt in early-Spring to finish these and the DMUs off.

397 - 9/12 - 75%: Most of the 9 were seen in 2019, either outside the Arriva works at Crewe, or at Longsight. Three remain, two of which are up in Scotland as training units. I'm sure once the full TPE roll out is done I'll catch them at Lime Street or Piccadilly.

399 - 5/7 - 71%: Almost did these in one 90 minute stint at Sheffield back in September, but alas 202 & 204 remain. Not to arduous a journey to get them if the mood takes.

EMUs (3rd rail)

442 - 20/24 - 83%: The ongoing farce with the reintroduction of these means I'm holding off going back for the last four.

EMUs

710 - 15/55 - 27%: Picked up all 15 when flying past Willesden on the way to/from Euston. Again I'm going to wait for the full rollout to be completed before searching out the rest.

720 - 0/111 - 0%
745 - 0/20 - 0%
755 - 0/38 - 0%: Grouping these three together, as the plan is to wait until they too are fully in service, and then go after them.

769 - 10/11 - 91%: Slightly misleading, as only 431 was seen in its current guise, the rest seen as 319s. Only 456 left to get.

800 - 69/80 - 86%: Just the LNER subclass to finish off, with GWR long since done.

801 - 4/42 - 10%: Off to Doncaster next week for some of these, fingers crossed.

802 - 49/60 - 82%: GWR's done, and I've made a good start on the TPE fleet as well now they're running out of Lime Street on the Newcastle services. Hopefully, Doncaster will chuck up a couple of the Hull Trains ones as well.

And that's it. Now I've gone through it all there really isn't much I need. My aim has always been to clear the old BR DMU stuff and then stop for a bit, which I think is still the plan, and I hope one final visit north of the border will see that mission accomplished. I'm off to Doncaster next week for a bit of birthday IET spotting, and the continued rollout of new Northern and TPE units will keep me going, but I doubt there will be that many dedicated outings in 2020. Life is moving in a different direction, and therefore so must I!

Good work. I'm exactly the same concerning the dark, damp and colder months - perhaps it's my age!

My needs (for sight) list comprises, by year:

1999:
95503 (seen previously as 96156). Hidden somewhere in the depths of RTC - not visible from passing trains.

2004:
977969 - not seen previously - and just can't seem to find it. I think it's part of Ultrasonic Test Train 2 - but never seems to be at RTC when I'm going past. Very frustrating.

2015:
68 018 - it's always somewhere else when I visit cl 68 haunts.

2016:
230 001. I think this is generally stored at Long Marston. I've not visited for the past ten years or so - I understand there's no access now, and am reluctant to take a trip (especially by car - I take the train whenever I can) if there's little chance of seeing it.

2017:
70 817 - Similar story to 68 018 above - for cl 68 haunts, read cl 70 haunts.
221 144. Not seen in this formation (although all cars seen previously). Only recently noticed this (and 143) this were reformed back '17 (oops), and expect to pick it up while I'm out and about in the spring.
9506. Departmental carriage. Seen previously in capital stock. Now parked-up at Carlisle Depot most of the time. Reckon I've probably seen it a fair few times as I've passed, but just don't seem able to see it's number, and there being a few of these, can never be quite certain it's there or not when I pass. Also quite frustrating.

2018:
230 002. See 230 001!
802 006/010/021. Waiting for 802 021 to be back in service following its repair, and I'll knock these off.

2019:
Quite a few - although I suspect many of them haven't yet been accepted into service yet, and are stored in various locations. Come the spring they'll be hunted down - mercilessly!

Happy hunting for 2020

palmersears

Established Member
Cue when you return to Scotland that 158 will be hiding away in Inverness and won't be nice and easy popping down to work Anniesland services
When I go to the Central Belt it's up in the Highlands, and then the one time in 2019 I went to the Highlands it was sat on Haymarket depot. I will get it this year.

Sounds like you're pregnant !

I'm reminded that I really need to visit more heritage stuff and it is definitely one to do with kids (although big, steaming things blowing loud whistles can freak them out if they are too young).

If it's any consolation/incentive, I last saw 158704 south of the Forth last August and have previously seen it at Edinburgh, Newcraighall and South Gyle (I seem to remember that I saw it a couple of weeks back in Edinburgh too). Those 156s can be tricky though. I'm still needing one which I should really make a concerted effort for since they rarely come east now.
Yeah, I'm at that stage in life where the wife and I want to start a family, so me trekking off around the country hunting trains isn't going to be her idea of 'excellent parenting!'

The heritage lines would be excellent places to take little ones, I can remember having some wonderful holidays on the NYMR when I was a kid, so I'll definitely be inflicting that upon my children in the future!

Overall it looks like you're almost done, and I have the same train of thought as you on the new Anglian stuff. Once it's in squadron service it'll be easier to clear a needs list.
As you'll see with my next trip report, it's far more motivating to be chalking stuff off at regular intervals than sit around waiting all day for a lone 156 to pootle through. Much more rewarding to knock off big chunks with stints at Bethnal Green and Norwich/Ipswich once the whole fleet is in service.

Good work. I'm exactly the same concerning the dark, damp and colder months - perhaps it's my age!

My needs (for sight) list comprises, by year:

1999:
95503 (seen previously as 96156). Hidden somewhere in the depths of RTC - not visible from passing trains.

2004:
977969 - not seen previously - and just can't seem to find it. I think it's part of Ultrasonic Test Train 2 - but never seems to be at RTC when I'm going past. Very frustrating.

2015:
68 018 - it's always somewhere else when I visit cl 68 haunts.

2016:
230 001. I think this is generally stored at Long Marston. I've not visited for the past ten years or so - I understand there's no access now, and am reluctant to take a trip (especially by car - I take the train whenever I can) if there's little chance of seeing it.

2017:
70 817 - Similar story to 68 018 above - for cl 68 haunts, read cl 70 haunts.
221 144. Not seen in this formation (although all cars seen previously). Only recently noticed this (and 143) this were reformed back '17 (oops), and expect to pick it up while I'm out and about in the spring.
9506. Departmental carriage. Seen previously in capital stock. Now parked-up at Carlisle Depot most of the time. Reckon I've probably seen it a fair few times as I've passed, but just don't seem able to see it's number, and there being a few of these, can never be quite certain it's there or not when I pass. Also quite frustrating.

2018:
230 002. See 230 001!
802 006/010/021. Waiting for 802 021 to be back in service following its repair, and I'll knock these off.

2019:
Quite a few - although I suspect many of them haven't yet been accepted into service yet, and are stored in various locations. Come the spring they'll be hunted down - mercilessly!

Happy hunting for 2020
Now that is impressive! I wish you the best of luck for 2020, Roger.

palmersears

Established Member
20/01/20 - Getting the buzz back

As I've mused above, enthusiasm for my jaunts has greatly diminished over the last few months. But with a day to myself after my birthday, and with Northern's 10p sale ensuring the journey only cost 40p (I had to fudge the tickets and get a Manchester-Sheffield return and a Sheffield-Doncaster return), I was off to Doncaster for the day to see what IETs were about.

Up and out down to New Mills Central in good time for the 0706 to Sheffield, which the Northern Random Unit Generator had kindly allocated to 156464, and with morning having still yet to break I stuck a podcast on and settled in as we wound through the gloom of the Hope Valley. I did see the rare sight of 20168 shunting cement tanks from Earles Sidings back into Hope cement works, but little else of interest until an on-time arrival at a bitterly cold Sheffield at 0804. Here I made a slight error; usually I'm not on a Northern only ticket, so autopiloted on to 185150+185109, only realising as we pulled away from platform 1. Thankfully the guard was very generous and failed to actually check any tickets ;) I realised halfway through that this was the first time I'd been on a double 185, and indeed it was noticeable throughout the peak periods at both Sheffield and Doncaster just how many South Pennine services are now doubled up. A sign that the introduction of the Nova fleets is beginning to pay dividends for TPE, albeit slowly.

Doncaster was soon in sight, and I alighted onto platform 4, again on time, at 0836. As is customary it was the short walk over to platform 8 to see what was in West Yard, however the view was blocked by the (admittedly excellent) sight of 91110 and its rake of Mk4s (It eventually left at around 1145 back to Bounds Green):

After that, it was Starbucks for some porridge and then settling into the London end of platform 3, where the sun, albeit weak, was just starting to rise and provide a little warmth. 801217 became the first winner of the day, arriving on its way up to Leeds, before classmate 801219 followed 15 minutes later, heading ECS up to York. Next up was the first Hull Trains IET for my records as 802302 glided into platform 4 on the early morning departure from Kings Cross to Hull. The 'Paragon' livery is an acquired taste, but I quite liked, particularly in the morning sun:

As it moved away on diesel, which was remarkably quiet, much like its TPE equivalent, the first double winners of the day arrived, 800204+800206 coming in from Kings Cross on their way to Doncaster. The 'kissing' units looked excellent, but it does strike you that those looks come at the expense of a good number of extra seats that could be had if they were gangwayed. You'd lose the 'Intercity' feel then I suppose:

The winners kept coming, with 801207 next up, swiftly followed by my second Hull Trains IET, 802303 heading to London. A nice slice of OTM was next, with DR73114 leading DR77904 down to Grantham:

800108 and 801213 both flew through on the fasts next, timing their appearances perfectly to ensure I could get the numbers for both before 800209 stopped right opposite my vantage point to ensure I didn't need to move for a nice wee photo of it:

800209 by Steven Ansty, on Flickr

We'd only just hit 1100 when my twelfth winner arrived, 801209, arrived from Glasgow, and this was swiftly followed by another couple of 801s, 104 and 111, to take me nicely up to a quick pit stop for tea. I exited Starbucks to hear DR73109 clattering in to the West Yard from Chesterfield on 6J54 through to Middlesborough, the second OTM winner of the day. Whilst I'm not actively hunting OTMs/MPVs they do give me something else to look out for on journeys, now that required locos and units are thin on the ground.

It wouldn't be a day on the ECML without some kind of delay cropping up, and the arrival of 801108+801110, due to work through to York, was eventually capped at Doncaster due to a train fault with the rear unit, and both instead headed for Neville Hill for attention instead. The disgruntled masses turfed out onto the platform were even less impressed to hear the official reason given over the tannoy as 'the planned train being replaced with a slower train'! The long pause did allow for a nice shot of the IET meets Pacer:

With 91110 out of the way I could finally see what was in the West Yard, which included the 67 Thunderbird, a couple of filthy DRS 66s (I assume still not cleaned from RHTT duty), and 195130 on training runs. A nice little bonus, as it's one of the only 195s that's escaped me during their introduction to the network via Edge Hill. 801221 continued the IET winning streak, on test through to York from Peterborough, before I chalked up a mini re-clearance of a TOC, with 802301 the last of the three Hull Trains IETs currently in service ticked off. 304 is at Eastleigh, with 305 not yet in the country, so I'll be back for them at some point. The run-up to lunch saw 801102, 801105 & 801106 all added to the winner's enclosure, but with the duds now returning from Leeds and York, I broke for lunch soon after, and went for a wander around the adjacent shopping centre.

Returning refuelled, the pace of winners was far slower in the afternoon. There was a bit of a rush just before 1 pm with 800208, 801208 and 801211 all arriving at once, but that aside it was duds. Anecdotally I'd suggest half the workings are still 91s, and it was also noticeable that there was a distinct lack of 150s and 142s now, with the latter banished to the west of the Pennines. After a 35 minute barren spell, 800106 arrived, leaving just 800101 left to clear the 800/1s, and it was then a further half hour until the final winner, 801203 was spied:

801203 by Steven Ansty, on Flickr

With that it was aboard a Northern 170 for the first time in the shape of 170472, which looked almost identical internally to when I rode it up in Scotland three years ago. Despite being 'refurbished' the PIS wasn't working, nor was the toilet. We arrived into Sheffield on time, and it was straight onto 150130 for the ride back down a darkening Hope Valley, where I arrived at New Mills Central 5 late.

All in all, a good day. 27 winners, which is the most in a day for some considerable time, and a good chunk taken out of the LNER IETs. Still over 50% of the 801s to get, but the 800s are down to just 5, and the 802s, across all TOCs, are down to just seven (I've added 802215 to the book at Lime Street this week as a bonus.

I've definitely got the buzz back a little bit after that, to the point where I'm tentatively planning a trip up to Scotland in April. I'll go via the ECML, as I've not done up there beyond Alnwick before, and then return via the WCML, hopefully on TPE's 397s if they've sorted themselves out by that point. The aim is those last two damned Scotrail DMUs, and the rest of the 17 385s I need. In between it'll be chipping away at the 195s and 331s (just 15 to get, most of which are yet to be delivered), as well as the last few TPE 802s and DBSOs.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a productive day :)

Anecdotally I'd suggest half the workings are still 91s, and it was also noticeable that there was a distinct lack of 150s and 142s now, with the latter banished to the west of the Pennines.

So what runs the Scunthorpe/Hull stoppers these days?

Far north 37

Established Member
Thats some record you have there must be struggling to get motivated noticed 70807 has escaped from devon after been laid up there for a goood while im after 809 and 814 809 has been working off oxwellmains a lot recently but never seems to end up on the inverness cement workings

Status
Not open for further replies.