Paperless rail tickets across UK by 2019 - Chris Grayling

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by thenorthern, 2 Oct 2017.

1. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Established Member

The problem is that the rail ticketing system is not just for one person's benefit and that many people - probably the majority of travellers - don't think like you!

Mobile ticketing in addition to paper tickets - fine. Mobile ticketing replacing paper tickets - an appalling idea!

2. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

^This.

Perhaps introduce a 5p/10p discount for m-tickets to reflect the lower costs incurred and encourage buying ahead of time. Bus companies have been doing this for ages.

3. shredder1

shredder1 Established Member

Some of the older generation, especially me, struggle with technology, I`d be dangerous with all this digital ticketing stuff, I sort off know where I am with paper tickets, providing they don`t cock up and sell me one I have`nt asked for.

4. PeterC

PeterC Established Member

Producing a ticket on your mobile for an on-train inspection is one thing but I would hate to be doing it while trying to navigate a ticket barrier in the rush hour while carrying a bag. Do it too early and you end up with the power saver blanking the screen just as you get to the gate.

On the other hand I much prefer a dedicated smart card like Oyster to a paper ticket.

5. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Agreed about doing something while carrying other items, but apps can force the screen to remain on and override the power saver (and increase the brightness, or stop auto rotation etc). But that comes down to good app design.

6. takno

takno Established Member

But if I do that I'll end up putting it back in my pocket with the screen on full and the battery will be flat by the time the guard comes round on the train

7. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

When will smart cards etc. offer Any Permitted route for journeys such as Norwich to London Terminals like paper tickets do with GA GN EMT & XC ? Err never I expect so won't be changing over any time soon !

8. Wallsendmag

Wallsendmag Established Member

By the end of 2018 ;)

9. bubieyehyeh

bubieyehyeh Member

I noticed that on the brfares.com site there is now smart non-travelcard season tickets listed for my non-regular commute from LVN to SPB, which I'm sure weren't there in 2017. However the Southern website says that only travelcard ticket can be sold to destinations in the TFL travel zone, and you can't buy these non-travelcard ticket on the southern key. However I don't know if its a indication that point to point smart tickets will soon be possible to destinations in the TFL area.

10. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit On Moderation

As I've mentioned in the past that I prefer to use paper tickets, should paperless be rolled out in the next 12 months then a national smartcard should be issued to replace the paper versions. I won't say no to a smartcard, so longs I'm able to continue to split ticket as I currently do with the paper versions, then I'll be fine with it.

But still, I prefer paper tickets.

11. horizonflame

horizonflame Member

Yesterday's Nottingham situation demonstrates the diminished rights passengers have with print at home tickets. With EMT if you abandoned your journey on a paper ticket you get a full refund but if you abandoned your journey with a print at home ticket tough luck! Surely this can't be enforceable?

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Jan 2018
  12. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Agreed. EMT are breaking the law and their franchise terms. Sadly no-one will enforce it adequately :(

13. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

14. Merseysider

Illegal. Plain and simple. NRCoT breach to boot.

Hopefully somebody at EMT will see these posts, bang some heads together and rectify the situation. There’s really no excuse

15. Wallsendmag

Wallsendmag Established Member

I think someone has copied a template and not deleted enough of the standard text.

16. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I suspect that's the case, there's no way they can really believe that they can get away with refusing to refund when trains have been cancelled and passengers have been told not to attempt travel.

17. Merseysider

That website page appears to have been removed now

18. bspahh

bspahh Member

https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/information/media/Disruption-Information/Current-Disruptions/
    is still there. It says
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46546.aspx says

19. Merseysider

The original link is just giving me something completely different

Attached Files: