• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paramedics suffer electric shocks treating a one-under

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd

Link to BBC article here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4637811.stm

Probe over medics' Tube injuries
Four paramedics suffered electric shocks as they treated a man under a Piccadilly line Tube train.
One paramedic burnt her arm and the others were treated for shock after working on the tracks at King's Cross station, north London, on Wednesday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jd

Well the TC should have been off, and there are tests that are run before anyone is allowed trackside. One possible explaination is that a train passed the gap and entered the current section which was turned off, bridging the gap and thus powering up that section. There are warning lights that come on when the section ahead is off, called Rail Gap Indicators, but I hear these are often hard to see or covered in dust these days.

Met Driver

Established Member
The reason for the juice coming back on was that the relay controlling the traction current section switched on the juice by mistake.

It makes me wonder whether or not they placed shorting bars over the conductor rails!

Met Driver

Established Member
It could be for any number of reasons TBH. It's hard to find any information.

jd

I'm sure there will be more info when the report comes out. I'll keep my eyes open for that as and when.

Status
Not open for further replies.