• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Parbold to Lancaster - any splitting tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mullin

Hello all,

Here's a scenario I'm looking for some help with. Every 2-3 weeks I try and head up to the Lake District mid week for some walking, and need to be flexible with tickets as I don't know when we'll be heading back.

With a 16-25 rail card, we used to buy a ticket from Parbold to Windermere at £19.80 then if we were staying local to Windermere, add a PlusBus ticket, or if heading to the central or northern lakes, buy a normal rover ticket on the bus for £9.75. £29.55 each for 2 of us is now working out quite expensive and I'm trying to bring the cost down.

I've found a Lakes Day Rover on Northerns site that covers any train from Lancaster north to the lakes and virtually any bus when there for £13.55 with a rail card. Excellent value from Lancaster!
http://www.northernrail.org/offers/dayrangers/Explore+Cumbria+and+the+Lake+District

However, train tickets from Parbold to Lancaster are £12 (YPR minimum) or £14.90 without a railcard.

So for £25.55, I've saved £4 so far, but is it possible to get Parbold to Lancaster any cheaper without a railcard? I've tried splitting at Wigan & Preston to no avail, but are there any starting late opportunities or finishing short that I can take advantage of?

Usual trains we catch are the 07.16 to Wigan for 07.29*
*Wigan NW 07.38 to Oxenholme 08.21 | 08.27 to Windermere 08.46

*yes, we know Wigan isn't a valid connection - but 9 minutes from one station to the other is easily done

Many thanks in advance!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
It's unlikely that you'll find much - Wigan to Lancaster is a fairly expensive stretch of track.

--
That said, if getting to Rufford is a possibility, you could save 30p (!) as an anytime day return to Lancaster is £11.70

Last edited:

mullin

Bummer, ah well. Looks like I'll have to stick to the £12 ticket. Thanks for the help!

mullin

Sorry to bring this one back up

Lakes Day Ranger, can anyone tell me if there are any restrictions to buying / using this.

Northerns website says

Time restrictions
You can use the Cumbria Day Ranger, Cumbrian Coast Day Ranger, Lakes Day Ranger or the Cumbria Round Robin at any time.

however we had some issues buying the Lakes ticket and had to show a past ranger to say we'd bought the ticket before 08.30 with the printout of Northerns site not being believed.

Many thanks for the pm's folks, national rail page shall be printed for future journeys :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.