• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Parents got grief at Tottenham Hale (LUL) - but let off 'this time'

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrykas

Established Member
There's another relevant bit in the "inter-available" routes part of the London section of The Manual:

Subject to tickets being valid between the appropriate stations or for the zones shown, National Rail singles and returns only (not Season Tickets) are valid on LU /DLR services as shown below:

National Rail tickets which include validity between Seven Sisters / Tottenham Hale/ Walthamstow Central and Zone U1 or beyond are also valid on LU / DLR services via the Victoria Line from Seven Sisters / Tottenham Hale/ Walthamstow Central to any station in Zones 1 to 3

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCW

Just as a general thought reading through all of this, as well as other situations like this, I am absolutely amazed at how little some barrier staff actually know. Why they are put out on the frontline (or in some cases even employed) in the first place without prior training and knowledge is beyond me.

Warning, ignorant comment alert: Then again, in this scenario, we are talking TfL and we are talking london, I wouldn't expect any different...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
One (minor) correction to what The Manual says, but the tickets are only valid to/from intermediate stations, plus every station in zone 1, and not any station in zones 1-3! I used the following when writing this up for the Fares Guide, which may be clearer to others.
  • Seven Sisters, Tottenham Hale or Walthamstow Central <> Zone U1 Londn
    • Valid between Seven Sisters, Tottenham Hale or Walthamstow Central (depending on the ticket's validity) and Blackhorse Road, Tottenham Hale, Seven Sisters, Finsbury Park, Highbury & Islington, Arsenal, Holloway Road, Caledonian Road or any station in zone 1 on LU.
This is not the only error in the Interavailable routes list in The Manual.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Interestingly, I just asked brfares.com for the YNG-discounted price on the ticket island linked to above, and it says no fare is available… is that just brfares.com making a mistake, or is it suggesting that, despite the manual, such a ticket has no NR validity at all? I'm wondering if perhaps it's the latter, and that those inner boundary zone tickets are actually just a NR way of issuing tube paper extension tickets for the inner zones (if buying a tube extension from a TfL ticket office they don't faff with specific destinations, it's just a zonal ticket valid for one journey).

It is an underground only ticket, hence Railcard discount is not available. This is explicitly stated in The Manual.

Be3G

Established Member
Right, so they're just tube extension tickets then – makes sense. When you initially said they were for LU destinations I didn't interpret that as meaning no train travel was allowed en-route*, but I see now. One small part of the big U-zone puzzle solved… what shall we tackle next? :lol:

(Also, once again I find myself really wishing that the manual was still available for the public to read. It shouldn't be so difficult to figure out these things. Maybe one day…)

* Not accounting for inter-available routes of course; a can of worms I don't feel like reopening…

jon0844

Veteran Member
jonmorris0844 - I am happy to proof read a letter of complaint.

My mum has emailed a letter, but did so to National Rail not TfL. So far she's only had a confirmation of receipt.

I don't know the content of the email.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's best sent to LU, as it's not really an issue for ATOC/National Rail Enquiries, nor for TfL. Maybe it will be forwarded to the correct place, perhaps.

jon0844

Veteran Member
They did so because they bought the ticket from a national rail station.

Let's see what they're told in the coming days. Like me, they won't be demanding any compensation or to have staff executed (possibly just slapped!) so I doubt they're in too much of a rush to escalate things further.

And I hope that poster hasn't appeared because of them! :)

barrykas

Established Member
One (minor) correction to what The Manual says, but the tickets are only valid to/from intermediate stations, plus every station in zone 1, and not any station in zones 1-3! I used the following when writing this up for the Fares Guide, which may be clearer to others.
This is not the only error in the Interavailable routes list in The Manual.

For bonus points, the TfL Conditions of Carriage say that Group Day Tickets aren't valid on Greater Anglia between Walthamstow Central/Tottenham Hale/Seven Sisters and Liverpool Street, even though The Manual says they are(!)

Is it any wonder there's confusion about exactly what is and isn't permitted?

island

Veteran Member
Right, so they're just tube extension tickets then – makes sense. When you initially said they were for LU destinations I didn't interpret that as meaning no train travel was allowed en-route*, but I see now.[/SIZE]

Yes, you have it. Inward-bound boundary zone extensions on NR should be issued from and to the relevant named stations.

lonogrol

Well LU *is* part of TfL.
There are however separate Customer Service teams and London Underground managers would be the only ones who can take action about a sign/staff behaviour that appears on LU stations.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There are however separate Customer Service teams and London Underground managers would be the only ones who can take action about a sign/staff behaviour that appears on LU stations.

And so you'd expect any complaint to be passed on to the appropriate part of TfL.

Status
Not open for further replies.