• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paris: Interesting Traction

Status
Not open for further replies.

class387

Established Member
Hi,
I will be in Paris in April, mainly to see off the MS61s but also to sample other interesting traction. Does anyone have any recommendations for good traction in the Paris area?
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dmncf

The new RER MI09 trains are smart. If the main purpose of your trip is to see the retiring RER MS61 trains, then you'll probably see the new RER MI09 trains too. And you probably know more about RER trains than me! ;)
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/MI_09

Upstairs at Gare du Nord the Francilien suburban trains are very smart - worth sticking your head in if you see one at a platform, just to see how much better the interior is than any equivalent we have in the UK. I don't know why we get such dull stuff in comparison.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_50000
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_50000#/media/File:Z50000_12dec2009_IMG_6066.jpg

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Line N on the Transilien lines (Paris Montparnasse-Versailles/Mantes la Jolie) has mainly loco hauled trains. From memory, the line as far as Viroflay Rive-Gauche is within Zones 1-3, and most of the network is within 1-5.

Established Member
If it's interesting EMUs you're after, you're going to the right place!

A personal favourite on the RER, the MI84s also dying out on the RER A but still going strong on the B along with their MI79 sisters (but not so keen on the refurbishment inflicted on those examples).

MF67s on Métro lines 3, 3bis, 9 (being replaced), 10 and 12, and the MP59s on the 11.

Z5300s, weekdays only. Juvisy - Melun on the RER D in the peaks every 15 minutes, and Melun - Montereau via Héricy on the Transilien R, quite a nice run and I think they run all day. These are pretty ancient units to say the least!

Slightly less interesting but still worth a bash if you ask me are the Z5600/8800s on the RER C, especially if you can find an unrefurbished one with brown interior. Also the Z6400s running on the Transilien L out of Saint-Lazare.

You're really going to struggle with MS61s I'm afraid - last time I was in Paris in November there were only two or maybe three sets out in the evening peak, and only one out on a Saturday. There's now only six units, so two trains, left in service so it'll be even harder than that! A real shame as I'm quite a big fan of them.

For locos, I'd echo the above posts, also adding the BB17000s which are dying out but still common on Pontoise - Creil (part of Transilien H) and Paris Nord - Crépy-en-Valois (Transilien J - warning, not a nice route to say the least!).

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'd also suggest those Z6400s; they make nice noises - at least as long as you are in the DMs.

If you're going for those Z5300s, get to Melun via the fast at xx.19 and xx.49 off Gare de Lyon surface; until you've done that you'll never truly believe that units can thrash...

class387

Established Member
Hi,
I have outlined a list of the units I would like to ride on this visit. All of these are fairly managable but I have noticed that the Z5300 is only running outside zone 6. What tickets should I buy to travel on these trains?
Thanks.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Hi,
I have outlined a list of the units I would like to ride on this visit. All of these are fairly managable but I have noticed that the Z5300 is only running outside zone 6. What tickets should I buy to travel on these trains?
Thanks.

No, they run within zone 6 from Melun. The zone doesn't stop at Melun.

Established Member
No, they run within zone 6 from Melun. The zone doesn't stop at Melun.

Zone 5 isn't it? And both the routes I listed for the Z5300s above are fully within zones so you shouldn't have any bother :) Just a shame they don't run out of Montparnasse in the peaks anymore as that was much easier to do than having to trek a long way out!

CC 72100

Established Member
Yep, the world now ends at zone 5 - everything beyond is 'Hors tarification Ile-de-france'

class387

Established Member
Brilliant. Another question is whether any of the Z5300 still have the unrefurbished interior with the brown bench seats?
Thanks

class387

Established Member
I will be departing this Thursday. I was checking my booking and found that it was still a e320, but I had be reallocated seats in Standard Premier. What has happened? Also it is displaying as 18 coaches, with an error message if your try to select a seat in the 17th or 18th coach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.