• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paris Public Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEscapist_

Hello,

Me and a friend are going to Paris in May. We're looking online for info about public transport for getting around Paris and there doesn't seem to be a clear website to use. Only there for 2 days. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or good tips for getting around? Also if anyone knows how to get to the Palace of Versailles and how much it costs?

Thank you :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Or look at the RATP site. I think that a single from central Paris to Versailles Rive Gauche station (which is the station needed for the chateau) is 3.55 euros each way: use RER line C (RER is a network of suburban lines that in central Paris share stations with the Metro). You will need to buy origin to destination tickets to travel to/from Versailles (rather than the flat-fare Zone 1 carnet tickets).

Veteran Member
Nothijg to do with trains, but from bitter experience, look at the Palais de Versailles website for a guide as to when the queues will be tolerably short! But it's worth it.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If you are spending a couple of days mainly travelling around the Paris area then look at the Mobilis tickets which are available for 1 day with different prices depending how far out you want to go. This is cheaper than the Paris Pass or Paris Visite which tourists are pushed towards but obviously doesn't include the touristic features. Mobilis doesn't even seem to be on the English version of the RATP site but the details in French are here:

http://www.ratp.fr/fr/ratp/c_21148/mobilis/

It can be bought from any Paris area ticket machine that sells Metro or suburban tickets, but not those that only sell long-distance tickets. The machines now use touch-screens and can be worked in English, but you need to remember to write your name on the ticket and presumably carry some ID in case you are gripped.

Another option is the Navigo pass which is a smartcard with a photo but can work out cheaper for a few days of intensive use. There is a thread on this forum somewhere based on one person's experience of obtaining and using this.

TheEscapist_

Nothijg to do with trains, but from bitter experience, look at the Palais de Versailles website for a guide as to when the queues will be tolerably short! But it's worth it.

I've been told it's worth it! Just glad for the free entry too :P

Thanks everyone for your replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Don't discount actually staying in Versaille as your base- its a very pleasant place with some good chain hotels at considerably cheaper rates than in Paris.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Don't discount actually staying in Versaille as your base- its a very pleasant place with some good chain hotels at considerably cheaper rates than in Paris.

My brother-in-law lived there for a couple of years and says the local restaurants can be very reasonable too, if you select wisely!

Up_Tilt_390

Paris has quite a good public transport system. It's Metro and RER system are the ways I got around when I went, so I'd obviously say they're the best ways to get around, but make sure you're on the correct line first. I've found that there are some people happy to help though as I learned when wanting to find a platform. I'd check which stations are closest to certain landmarks, but the system isn't too far away from them. Then again I don't remember too much so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

The Palace of Versailles I have no idea on how much it costs, cause I didn't pay for it, so I'm afraid I can't say.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Beware that trains on RER line C leave central Paris for Versailles in both directions, as some of the eastbound trains loop round the south of Paris and end up there as well. You want a westbound (southern track, furthest from the Seine).

Also Metro and RER don't use the obvious north/south/east/westbound like the Underground. You have to know the ultimate terminus in the direction you want, which is usually somewhere way out in the suburbs that most tourists have no interest in visiting. The RER lines and some Metro lines have branches so there can be more than one destination in the same direction.

Taunton

Established Member
The Versailles grounds cover a huge area, miles, and most people don't get far beyond the main chateau, but there is a bicycle rental inside and that's a good way to go to the other buildings. Be prepared to spend a whole day there if you are doing this.

RER Line C to Versailles RG runs along the Left (south) bank of the Seine with various stops within central Paris.

Paris has very good public transport, particularly the Metro but also buses, within the old city limit (much smaller than London), but once you cross the line, although the built-up area continues, unless you chance to be on an RER line things are notably poorer.

Petty crime on transport, pick-pocketing in particular, is rife, and actually seems to increase as you go outside the centre on the RER into the suburbs.

NY Yankee

Hello,

Me and a friend are going to Paris in May. We're looking online for info about public transport for getting around Paris and there doesn't seem to be a clear website to use. Only there for 2 days. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or good tips for getting around? Also if anyone knows how to get to the Palace of Versailles and how much it costs?

Thank you :)

This doesn't directly answer your question, but these videos are super-helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT5g1a7cBRM&index=8&list=PLB518EE18E12CA475

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW3u7LbD5E4&index=17&list=PLB518EE18E12CA475

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXnW4pD0OrA&list=PLB518EE18E12CA475&index=22

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like a good guide book myself - I've found the Time Out one pretty good, so long as you get an up-to-date copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.