• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paris Ticketing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hello all,

Quick question - are RATP Mobilis tickets valid on TER services within zones (to Rambouillet for instance)? I'm going to presume the answer is no but thought I'd check.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TCDD

I'm pretty sure it is - I used one in the summer to go out to Fontainbleu and to Mantes la Jolie.

Established Member
The day tickets are valid, used them before because FIP coupons are just too much effort with the Transilien barriers.

The Montparnasse - Rambouillet trains are a good choice as they are classic 'broken nose' electrics, the other locals are mainly more modern 27300s.

Montparnasse platforms, however, are a bit like the east side of Liverpool Street. Functional, but a dismal place to take phots or spend much time.

Established Member
Thanks, a pleasant surprise - wish I'd known the last few times I've been there! Agreed about Montparnasse, but it's nice to see a Paris terminus still with most Transilien trains loco-hauled. A shame the ancient Z5300 units no longer run on the Viroflay Rive Gauche shuttles in the peaks though.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There's a few BB7200 diagrams that stop at Melun out of Gare de Lyon as well on which the zonal tickets are valid; there use the very comfortable TER refurbished Corail stock. From memory I think there's four diagrams in the day; they use the same xx.19 / xx.49 paths in and out of Gare de Lyon as the regular fast EMU service - they can be identified in the timetable because they go further out than the rest of the services... I forget the exact destination at the moment!

Gordon

Hello all,

Quick question - are RATP Mobilis tickets valid on TER services within zones (to Rambouillet for instance)? I'm going to presume the answer is no but thought I'd check.

Absolutely yes.

As long as you are in Ile de France region ticketing area you should eb able to use Mobilis.

A good way to use it is to stay further out of Paris - cheaper and nicer often than some Paris accomodation options.

Back in 2006 I stayed out at Rambouillet for a 'Paris' weekend rather than pay Paris hotel prices. Worked well, and in those days we were able to enjoy both Z5300 and BB9200 hauled corails on Montparnasse - Rambouillet!

davetheguard

Established Member
Absolutely yes.

As long as you are in Ile de France region ticketing area you should eb able to use Mobilis.

A good way to use it is to stay further out of Paris - cheaper and nicer often than some Paris accomodation options.

Back in 2006 I stayed out at Rambouillet for a 'Paris' weekend rather than pay Paris hotel prices. Worked well, and in those days we were able to enjoy both Z5300 and BB9200 hauled corails on Montparnasse - Rambouillet!

Gordon, that sounds like interesting, useful, advice.

I don't know Rambouillet, and indeed don't really know any of the Paris suburbs. However, I have heard people say that some of them are a bit run down with Brutalist architecture and tower blocks; and I wouldn't want to take the missus somewhere that she felt unsafe.

Are there any Paris suburban equivalents of say, Greenwich or Richmond in London? A nice place, and beside the Seine???

Established Member
When I go to Paris I tend to stay in La Défense (business district, think Canary Wharf), as I generally go at weekends when it's pretty cheap, without being too far out of the centre. Not exactly glamourous but far from unsafe. Generally you want to avoid the areas north of the city centre (Saint-Denis et al), nasty areas indeed.

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Rambouillet is quite a pretty town, we visited in May 2014 using the loco hauled Transilien services. They're all shacks though so if you're after speed then the TER services may be the better option.

CC 72100

Established Member
There's a few BB7200 diagrams that stop at Melun out of Gare de Lyon as well on which the zonal tickets are valid; there use the very comfortable TER refurbished Corail stock. From memory I think there's four diagrams in the day; they use the same xx.19 / xx.49 paths in and out of Gare de Lyon as the regular fast EMU service - they can be identified in the timetable because they go further out than the rest of the services... I forget the exact destination at the moment!

Was just about to post this, although I suspected that either you or 87015 would have got there before me ;)

Trains are Paris Gare de Lyon - Laroche Migennes, operated by TER Bourgogne.

About 35 minutes out to Bois-le-Roi, where you have a ~10 connection for a LM - Paris loco-hauled back would be my suggestion of a move.

Some loco-hauled services to Le Havre (those which stop before Rouen) also call at Mantes-la-Jolie, which is another good 30 minute run or so. Only thing is you'd likely be coming back on a unit (ok, not exciting but...) or a local loco-hauled service (Do not even think about it - lots of quite nasty places).

Suburb wise - North is generally regarded as worse (avoid anything with a '93' postcode (Seine-Saint-Denis).

94 (Val de Marne) is pretty nice, you can go for a walk down by the seine at Nogent-sur-seine (94 is also where I used to live, so maybe I'm biased?)

I'm also a fan of La Défense, I personally love all the different architecture.

On a weekday evening, take either the 17:05 or 18:05 loco-hauled out of Paris Est to Crouy-sur-Ourcq. You can then have a ~15 minute connection in sleepy rural (but beautiful) village for a unit back to Meaux. From there, you have a ~5 minute wait for a suburban train (non-stop) back into Paris Est.

You could also take the 17:12 loco-hauled out to Longueville (train terminates at Troyes), but you normally miss the connection back (or at least I did everytime, thank you TSR at Gretz-Armainvilliers) and so have to wait another hour in a fine but boring and rather forgettable town for the local service back.

PM me if you wish.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Trains are Paris Gare de Lyon - Laroche Migennes, operated by TER Bourgogne.

Ah, yes - Laroche. Thank you for saving me the trouble of having to dig up a load of stuff online because trying to remember the name was really starting to annoy me!:lol:

About 35 minutes out to Bois-le-Roi, where you have a ~10 connection for a LM - Paris loco-hauled back would be my suggestion of a move.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Errr... I thought the Gare de Lyon workings were non stop at Bois le Roi anyway and you had to get a one per hour from Melun to there and ditto in reverse on the way back? Although that should yield a couple of Z5300s - if you don't get stuck at the level crossing at Bois...

I don't think you're thinking of the right place.

Bois-le-Roi has no foot crossing; there is a subway around halfway down the platform towards LM, towards the back of the train on the side towards Paris.

For example, the 12:49 departure (my old train!) calls:
13:15 Melun
13:21 Bois-le-Roi
13:28 Fontainebleau-Avon
13:34 Moret-Veneux-les-Sablons
13:37 St-Mammès
13:50 Montereau
and stations to Laroche-Migennes

The return from Laroche-Migennes:
13:12 Montereau
13:20 St-Mammès
13:23 Moret-Veneux-les-Sablons
13:30 Fontainebleau-Avon
13:38 Bois-le-Roi
13:45 Melun
14:11 Paris-Gare de Lyon

So actually a good 15 minutes at Bois-le-Roi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Bois-le-Roi#/media/File:Gare-de_Bois-le-Roi_IMG_8430.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/olewy...LDG-dkR5As-sp9Pn8-e3ciQ5-s6pMXe-dBvME4-789rpa

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't think you're thinking of the right place.

Bois-le-Roi has no foot crossing; there is a subway around halfway down the platform towards LM, towards the back of the train on the side towards Paris.

You're quite right; I'm thinking of Livry sur Seine for the dodgy connection time aren't I?! *head...wall*

Yes - Bois is a viable connection - I was thinking of an incident in which I had a prologed wait there after a bridge strike.

I'd better go back and edit my earlier post before I confuse anyone! ( Now done )

Last edited:

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions all. One last question - does anyone know if the Melun - Montereau via Héricy shuttle is Z5300s at weekends too or only weekdays/peaks? Next time I go I've only got the one weekday evening and I want to use it to track down MS61s as they're getting very thin on the ground these days.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks for the suggestions all. One last question - does anyone know if the Melun - Montereau via Héricy shuttle is Z5300s at weekends too or only weekdays/peaks? Next time I go I've only got the one weekday evening and I want to use it to track down MS61s as they're getting very thin on the ground these days.

I don't know, but if in doubt go for the MS61s as they'll be extinct first. Do make sure you enjoy to the full the noises their motors make; I'd recommend riding in the 7th car of a 9 car formation from La defense towards Etoile in particular for this - windows down if you can get away with it at this time of year. The noises echoing off the tunnel walls are worth recording for posterity. Try this bit off peak then you'll be pretty much guaranteed a fast run for maximum motor noises.:D

Established Member
The noises echoing off the tunnel walls are worth recording for posterity. Try this bit off peak then you'll be pretty much guaranteed a fast run for maximum motor noises.:D

Already done :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfCWhRAI22g Brilliant noises indeed, you can always tell when one is coming.

A real shame that they're going, only 32 units left as of September 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.