• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paris to Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlevel42

Can I book a ticket for a train journey from Paris to Sheffield in late September?
Or I can't and I buy an Advance from St Pancras to Sheffield, will it be valid on a later train if the Eurostar is delayed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Yes you can.
You can book a through ticket on the Eurostar website, loco2 and others.
You can book Eurostar (via Loco2 or at a station) a separate flexible ticket from London International CIV - in this case it is much cheaper to use LNER via Doncaster.
You can book Eurostar plus a separate Advance from London, allowing the minimum connection time. UK policy is to treat Eurostar as a UK operator, so if there is a delay you will be permitted to use a later train on whichever TOC you have booked.
AFAIK Loco2 will offer all those options, but it isn't allowing me to check ATM.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You can book Eurostar plus a separate Advance from London, allowing the minimum connection time. UK policy is to treat Eurostar as a UK operator, so if there is a delay you will be permitted to use a later train on whichever TOC you have booked.

Are you sure about that? My understanding was that there is no protection in such a situation and any assistance would be purely discretionary and it's only if you hold a CIV ticket that you have a contractual right to assistance.

Where is the policy laid down?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Are you sure about that? My understanding was that there is no protection in such a situation and any assistance would be purely discretionary and it's only if you hold a CIV ticket that you have a contractual right to assistance.

Where is the policy laid down?
EMT staff have been OK with it in my experience in the past (no idea if any new guidance given by EMR to staff) - but I did take the precaution of getting my eurostar ticket actually stamped by the train manager on the eurostar journey - I had to seek him out to ask for this to happen even though the train was very delayed, he had a special inking stamp to do it with when I asked - and was happy to stamp the ticket.

On the EMT train from ST P I got the impression the staff member was happy with my explanation and did not insist on seeing the Eurostar stamped ticket.

Obv this would be relevant for a Sheffield Journey.

I did make sure to set a 'reasonable' connection time between arrival and departs at ST P in case I needed to debate the matter. I would certainly not risk anything LESS than the set minimum time.

However I did think this was discretionary ultimately, but I may be wrong.

Frustratingly this situation can arise because Eurostar bookings open way ahead of UK bookings, which means through continental fares work to the latter deadline, by which the cheapest Eurostar only legs seem to sell out, driving up the price of the through ticket - or so it seemed to me, thus making me err on booking 2 seperate tickets, which would not have been my default choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.