• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paris to St Jean Pied du Port: journey advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone have any tips for the following single journey made on a weekday:-

Depart Paris Montparnasse at 0846
Arrive St Jean Pied du Port at 1554
(changing at Bordeaux and Bayonne)

Obviously the train from Paris is reservable (compulsory as it's a TGV), but are any of the others?

Is a through fare best, or is it better to "split"?

They are aware they coulld depart at 0728 to arrive at the same time and avoid a TGV to get a lower fare, but they don't want to leave Paris quite as early as that.

There will be two passengers both aged 60+

Any tips would be much appreciated :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gordon

Obviously the train from Paris is reservable (compulsory as it's a TGV), but are any of the others?

They are aware they coulld depart at 0728 to arrive at the same time and avoid a TGV to get a lower fare, but they don't want to leave Paris quite as early as that.

There will be two passengers both aged 60+

Any tips would be much appreciated :)

1) I can't see the 07.28 non-TGV option you mention. AFAIK there are no through trains Paris - Bordeaux that aren't TGV.

2) I can see a later TGV at 09.25 which is faster, reaches Bordeaux at nearly the same time.

3) south of Bordeaux the trains are regional: Bordeaux - Bayonne probably reservable but possibly not necessary. If you get a through ticket it will possibly offer a reservation throughout to Bayonne. Bayonne - St Jean is local TER - unlikely that anyone ever reserves on that branch line. (although I haven't ridden it since 1980 when it was still a 1930s PO Electric railcar!)

4) over 60s can get a Carte Sénior which gives valuable reductions

5) there are going to be loads of strikes on SNCF this year...

6) Pedantic but linguistic accuracy is one of my areas of expertise; It is St Jean Pied-de-Port

Veteran Member

Simplest way to find the answer is to use the SNCF website.

IIRC though it makes no difference as the through fare is priced as the PREMS fare for the TGV plus the discounted local fare for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.