• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Park and Tram into Manchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Hoping to access collective knowledge of the community. We're planning to visit Manchester tomorrow for the first day of the Christmas markets. We struggled to park in our normal spots last year and otherwise it's extortionate so hoping to park and tram. Any advice on best tram stop to use, coming from Stoke so ideally close to M6/M62/M56 and decent parking area (we've got morning school walk to do before we can leave, so if likely no parking left by 9:30 no use to us).
I've tried the TfGM page but there are too many options and it's not easy to see which stops have the most parking.
Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mjc

Thanks, East Didsbury looks good, thanks for the tip. @telstarbox I’d love to go by train, but for two of us, including the extortionate parking at the station, it’s prohibitively expensive.
Any other tips welcome, especially on likelihood of getting a space at ED.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
East Didsbury heavy rail station on the other side of the A34 from the tram station is another possibility. Never had a problem parking there alongside the Crewe bound platform, with the train taking a fraction of the time compared to Metrolink not to mention far more comfortable and certainly cheaper.

mjc

East Didsbury heavy rail station on the other side of the A34 from the tram station is another possibility. Never had a problem parking there alongside the Crewe bound platform, with the train taking a fraction of the time compared to Metrolink not to mention far more comfortable and certainly cheaper.
Thanks @Ash Bridge , Train looks faster (although to Oxford Road so a bit of a walk into the part of town we want), point taken that probably more comfortable however for 2 people train is £10.60 return, 3 zone off peak family pass for metrolink is £6.90 so tram wins in that measure, or am I looking at the wrong price?
Thanks
Matthew

geoffk

Established Member
Sale Water Park tram stop on the Airport line is designated as a Park and Ride stop and is reached from Junction 6 of the M60. I don't know how busy the car park gets but it says "300 spaces"! Also there's an interesting pub nearby, Jackson's Boat, by the Mersey footbridge, named after the farmer who once ran a ferry across.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thanks @Ash Bridge , Train looks faster (although to Oxford Road so a bit of a walk into the part of town we want), point taken that probably more comfortable however for 2 people train is £10.60 return, 3 zone off peak family pass for metrolink is £6.90 so tram wins in that measure, or am I looking at the wrong price?
Thanks
Matthew

£7.90 for two adults if you purchase a Northern Duo Ticket, also don't forget that you can use the trams for free within the city zone when you purchase that rail ticket.

Just to add, two adults can travel from Stoke-on-Trent for £17.80 return using a NorthernDuo Ticket, tbh I doubt travelling by car + local train/tram fare included would be cheaper than that? and just less than an hours journey time! (I don't work for Northern btw);)

Last edited:

mjc

£7.90 for two adults if you purchase a Northern Duo Ticket, also don't forget that you can use the trams for free within the city zone when you purchase that rail ticket.

Just to add, two adults can travel from Stoke-on-Trent for £17.80 return using a NorthernDuo Ticket, tbh I doubt travelling by car + local train/tram fare included would be cheaper than that? and just less than an hours journey time! (I don't work for Northern btw);)
Thanks @Ash Bridge , I wasn’t aware of the northern duo ticket, didn’t come up as an option when I searched on national rail. Still £12 parking and an hour on an uncomfortable train so less convinced, as an option from East Didsbury though looking more promising...thanks!

mjc

Thanks for the tips, we tried East Didsbury but car parks were full when we got there so ended up driving in to town instead. Maybe a new thread on why there’s no better P&R provision into Manchester given the good tram/train/bus network and the horrendous traffic in town!

geoffk

Established Member
Heald Green station is convenient for the M56, with three trains an hour to Manchester, but only 12 car parking spaces!

radamfi

Established Member
There are several other Metrolink stations with substantial car parks, such as Sale Water Park, Oldham Mumps, Hollinwood and Ashton Moss.

But parking restrictions are very lenient in the Manchester area. It is not like SE England where most stations are surrounded by controlled parking zones. So you can usually park in a residential area a few minutes walk from many tram stops or rail stations where there are no restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.