• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Parking Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colj

Hi. I'm looking at jobs with WMR train crew based at Snow Hill or New Street. Obviously I couldn't get the train in for early shifts. Does anyone know what the parking situation is for train crew? Any provisions? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GG96LFC

I’m not sure how big the car parks are or exactly where they’re located, but I had an interview with WMR a few days ago, for a job at New Street, and the manager told me WMR crew get free parking at their assigned station any time of day

TTD85

WMT share Ellis Street car park with CrossCountry, Virgin Trains and Network Rail. There is also a shuttle between certain times!

dwizzle123

As above. Parking is provided at Ellis Street. Bear in mind they will be bringing in an emissions zone charge in Jan 2020 for vehicles with high emissions however it’s only older cars and HGVs which tend to be affected (about 40% of vehicles). It wouldn’t surprise me if they change the parameters within the next few years or even follow this up with a congestion charge zone for the city centre much like London.

S-Car-Go

Just started as a trainee driver. We asked the question about parking. You can get a parking permit for the station car park at at your depot and 1 other designated station car park also. You can assign 2 car registration plates to your permit.

lammergeier

As above. Parking is provided at Ellis Street. Bear in mind they will be bringing in an emissions zone charge in Jan 2020 for vehicles with high emissions however it’s only older cars and HGVs which tend to be affected (about 40% of vehicles). It wouldn’t surprise me if they change the parameters within the next few years or even follow this up with a congestion charge zone for the city centre much like London.

Just to expand on this - for private cars to be exempt, petrol cars need to be Euro 4, diesel need to be Euro 6. Plenty of newer diesels are Euro 5 so will be affected (think the shift to Euro 6 was 2015-2017 depending on manufacturer.)

The scheme is largely identical to the new ULEZ zone in London, therefore you can check your vehicle here --> https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ulez-vrm-checker

If it passes for London, it'll be ok for Brum. I largely agree that the parameters may shift in a few years, but I don't think it'll happen for a while as a lot of people have now upgraded to Euro 6 diesel at some cost on the back of what the council have implemented.

I'm also led to believe that if you pay to enter the zone that's valid for one calendar day, not 24 hours. So if you started work on Monday at 19.00 and finished at 02.00 you'd end up paying twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.