Parliamentary Trains: (Minor) BBC Coverage

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by backontrack, 28 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, it was a toss-up between this forum, Allocations & Diagrams and Infrastructure & Stations, and I saw the 'Parliamentary trains in new Northern Franchise' thread, so I posted it here.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150723-why-britain-has-secret-ghost-trains

An article has been published (23 July 2015) on a small corner of the BBC's website about Parliamentary services (they're not mentioned under that name in the article much). It's not really news. I know that they've mentioned these before: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18644343

Last edited: 29 Aug 2015
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

They're mentioned as parliamentary under the 'why ghosts exist' bit :)

4. Howardh

Howardh Established Member

They're not "secret" and "unknown", they're probably the most celebrated services in the UK!

.....except that only a handful actually use them! Seriously, if they started to run twice a day, and brought you back.....hmmm, worth a try?

5. fishquinn

fishquinn Established Member Quizmaster

They say you can cartwheel down the isles. I would like to see someone try with 3+2 seating! And is Leeds the 2nd biggest station in the UK outside of London? I think New Street is first but not sure what is second.

6. Quakkerillo

Quakkerillo Member

New Street - Leeds - Glasgow - Manchester - Edinburgh. Last year, Glasgow and Leeds were other way around.

7. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

The presenter must have caught the Snaith train on a different day to me.

There were at least four people other than me continuing on from Knottingley - and there was even someone caught the return journey from Snaith with me - all normals as far as I could tell!

8. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Relevance?

Leeds is the 2nd busiest. Biggest is hard to call Glasgow has 17 platforms, as has Leeds, but Leeds has lots of lettered platforms.

This is also irrelevant.

I've got family in Knottingley, but I've never traveled this line, just the opposite direction. I must put it on the 'to do list'.

9. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

I would have thought that Leeds takes precedence as it is the key suburban hub (no underground network) and the only medium and longer distance hub (no Queen Street sharing the glory). As to geographical size, Leeds does sprawl a lot, but some of its terminal platforms are shortish, so it may be a bit smaller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.