• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Part-time Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst43102

Hi everyone.

I'm currently a university student, about to start my second year. I've been trying to get a part time job on the side so that I can have some extra money and also start to pay off my debts.

I've applied for all the available positions in the area, with no positive results so far, and also tried writing to various firms in the area I'm studying (architecture).

Have any of you had any past experience with part time work, and would you be able to give me some pointers as to where I should apply?

Thanks a lot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
What kind of work are you looking for? I worked in a supermarket as a student - as well as the extra cash I learned a lot that came in useful when I started applying for full time work after uni. And I am still friends with people I worked with then, and I still have a degree of loyalty to that particular chain.

I've just been interviewing for a graduate to join my team. I found those who'd done some kind of part time work ( mostly in shops or hospitality) were able to give better answers to the interview questions than those who had to rely on university projects and society memberships.

J-2739

Established Member
Hi everyone.

I'm currently a university student, about to start my second year. I've been trying to get a part time job on the side so that I can have some extra money and also start to pay off my debts.

I've applied for all the available positions in the area, with no positive results so far, and also tried writing to various firms in the area I'm studying (architecture).

Have any of you had any past experience with part time work, and would you be able to give me some pointers as to where I should apply?

Thanks a lot.
Hey! I thought you could only start applying to work at an architectural firm one you've completed your Part 1?

hst43102

What kind of work are you looking for? I worked in a supermarket as a student - as well as the extra cash I learned a lot that came in useful when I started applying for full time work after uni. And I am still friends with people I worked with then, and I still have a degree of loyalty to that particular chain.

I've just been interviewing for a graduate to join my team. I found those who'd done some kind of part time work ( mostly in shops or hospitality) were able to give better answers to the interview questions than those who had to rely on university projects and society memberships.
I've been looking for supermarket work - hopefully the hours will work for my course too. There's currently very few jobs going but I'm applying for all I can.
Hey! I thought you could only start applying to work at an architectural firm one you've completed your Part 1?
That's correct. I was just looking for a kind of internship - maybe even unpaid - to give myself something to do and get some experience!

RJ

Established Member
Do you have a driving licence? With one there's no need to be out of work for long. I did bus driving part time from first year being a student.

route101

Established Member
Morrisons and Iceland are always looking for delivery drivers.

Last few months more vacancies have started to appear for supermarkets , sainsburys were hardly hiring until recently.

I was looking for role alongside my studies at uni too, had a few interviews with firms. Experience is a must.

Worm

Don’t pay back your student finance loans voluntarily until they take it from your eventual salary, once it’s past the threshold. You’d only lose money.

* unless they’re from private finance providers of course.

hst43102

Don’t pay back your student finance loans voluntarily until they take it from your eventual salary, once it’s past the threshold. You’d only lose money.

* unless they’re from private finance providers of course.
I'm not paying my student loan back yet - just a few smaller loans I've taken off my family for rent etc.

_toommm_

Established Member
I worked at John Lewis for three years, but I’ve now moved over to Waitrose. Decent-ish pay (although a lot of supermarkets now pay more). The bonus is any chilled food we don’t sell I get for free at the end of the day. I often get a weeks set of dinners and a few lunches for free.

Supermarkets may be your best bet - a lot of them are short, and there’s not too much of a learning curve to work in them so it means you can do the job relatively easy and focus on your studies. Remember the STAR format for answering questions in interviews, and try to make your answers customer-centric.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I worked at John Lewis for three years, but I’ve now moved over to Waitrose. Decent-ish pay (although a lot of supermarkets now pay more). The bonus is any chilled food we don’t sell I get for free at the end of the day. I often get a weeks set of dinners and a few lunches for free.

Supermarkets may be your best bet - a lot of them are short, and there’s not too much of a learning curve to work in them so it means you can do the job relatively easy and focus on your studies. Remember the STAR format for answering questions in interviews, and try to make your answers customer-centric.

Does anyone care to define "STAR" for the benefit of the clueless? I've seen this term crop up in the Jobs and Careers section, but nobody seems willing to explain what it actually means.

skyhigh

Established Member
Does anyone care to define "STAR" for the benefit of the clueless? I've seen this term crop up in the Jobs and Careers section, but nobody seems willing to explain what it actually means.
Situation - what was the situation you faced?
Task - what was your role in the task?
Action - what did you do?
Result - what was the result of this?

Hope that helps :)

BluePenguin

On Moderation
When I was a student I worked for Deliveroo. It was great as I could earn a few hundred per month with nothing but my bicycle. There was also no penalty if I didn’t work, such as when I had assignments to finish before a deadline.

It was allocated shifts back then with hourly pay of £6 with an extra £1 for every delivery. Now it is pay per delivery but you can go online anytime. Just Eat and Uber are also options perhaps.

I also worked at a few open days as an ambassador which I enjoyed.

Supermarkets seem to pay well but can get boring. Also you must work fixed hours as per a roster. There is always plenty of overtime though

Status
Not open for further replies.