• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Part Time Weekend Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
I'm after a weekend job on the railways somewhere. I'm not bothered what it is, just that it is on the railways. I've phoned Virgin and had no answer (that's because it's Sunday though most probably!), as well as Northern and TPE. I've left message with TPE so hopefully I'll get something back.

Has anyone got any ideas of who/where to ask/look for this type of weekend work?

Help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
Is there anything you can do under 16? Just like a part time thing in the week?

Coxster

Established Member
I know SWT don't hire anyone under under 17 due to their safety critical policy. You also have GCSEs coming up(?) which you might be better concentrating on. Perhaps it would be better for you to stick to the East Lancs. Railway where you do not have to comit yourself to go every weekend, and wait until you leave school before getting a proper railway job?

Afterall you have plenty of years ahead of you that can be spent working on the railways.

Tom B

Established Member
Doubt it - employment law gets very complex when you're under 16.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Hmm, I do have GCSEs coming up. But I could do with a job cause I need the money. I'm 16 in December anyway. I'm in Buxton, so Piccadilly would probably where I'd want to get a job. I'm not in any hurry anyway, my parents are just sick of giving me money

devon_metro

Established Member
Hmm, I do have GCSEs coming up. But I could do with a job cause I need the money. I'm 16 in December anyway. I'm in Buxton, so Piccadilly would probably where I'd want to get a job. I'm not in any hurry anyway, my parents are just sick of giving me money

Get a paperround ;)

Ben

TPEs Policy is, Station Staff 18, Train Crew 21.

So sorry Rich but you have no chance.

Gizmogle

Established Member
What about Northern?
Surely they need the staff? Right? I mean, who wants to work with Northern? *shudders*
I'm not getting a paperround! I'm too lazy to get up that early. I don't have a bike and everyone takes the **** when girls do paperrounds!

nutter

What about Northern?
Surely they need the staff? Right? I mean, who wants to work with Northern? *shudders*
I'm not getting a paperround! I'm too lazy to get up that early. I don't have a bike and everyone takes the **** when girls do paperrounds!

Yeah, put with the strength you get from sunday rounds, you can soon shut em up using force, believe me, sunday rounds are better than any gym

And the walking will do you good too, and it's just like any other school day on sundays as far as getting up is concerened.

I did it for 4 years, ain't had no side effects (*twitches uncontrollably)

The Snap

Established Member
I know SWT don't hire anyone under under 17 due to their safety critical policy. You also have GCSEs coming up(?) which you might be better concentrating on. Perhaps it would be better for you to stick to the East Lancs. Railway where you do not have to comit yourself to go every weekend, and wait until you leave school before getting a proper railway job?

Afterall you have plenty of years ahead of you that can be spent working on the railways.

I would do, beleive me! My sodding parents keep telling me to get a part time job, so I have got no bloody choice! :(

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Yeah, put with the strength you get from sunday rounds, you can soon shut em up using force, believe me, sunday rounds are better than any gym

And the walking will do you good too, and it's just like any other school day on sundays as far as getting up is concerened.

I did it for 4 years, ain't had no side effects (*twitches uncontrollably)

I did paper rounds for about 4 years - my final one involved dragging about 300 papers complete with advertising material (sometime included ikea catalogues etc.) and it never did me any good... i'm still suffering lol and I had to do it all in 2 runs

Tom B

Established Member
What about Northern?

Even if they're desperate, there are certain rules they must adhere to.

Tom C

Try a supermarket, know they usually are quite happy to take on under 18's although you are restricted to work 10 hours a week (I think) got to be better then nout. As for working for the railways well I very much doubt it. Cleaning is about the only thing you could do and most now either contract it out or have a safety critical element on it and thats over 18.

nutter

I did paper rounds for about 4 years - my final one involved dragging about 300 papers complete with advertising material (sometime included ikea catalogues etc.) and it never did me any good... i'm still suffering lol and I had to do it all in 2 runs

That's where your dad's car comes in handy.

What used to happen was I'd run along side the car, and my dad would pass the papers to me. And If he wasn't available, I used to just lift 29kg of papers (one morning it was 35kg) onto my shoulders and just get it over and done with

That 35kg one was my absolute limit, i had a limp for 2 days after, and my shoulder was num, i only weighed 55kg when i did that one, I'd never forget it

joy54.gen

Virgin do hire at 16 know a few people who have had station assistant jobs at stations although they did have family members working with Virgin. Maybe if u contacted a temping agency?? They may cover weekend work for ticket offices as I remember reading a blog about this. I doubt you'd get just a weekend job by calling up Customer services, you would probably need to know someone in recruitment.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ohh, that's handy cause I know some of the Manchester Piccadilly platform staff, and one of the guys working for Virgin there gave me a recruitment number. His name was Kieran I think...haha, I could do with remembering that. My dad is a signalman too...
Reckon I have a chance?

Coxster

Established Member
Ohh, that's handy cause I know some of the Manchester Piccadilly platform staff, and one of the guys working for Virgin there gave me a recruitment number. His name was Kieran I think...haha, I could do with remembering that. My dad is a signalman too...
Reckon I have a chance?
Only one way to find out ;)

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah :smile:
I'll try it for a summer job next year cause I'll be 16 then :grin:

metrocammel

When I did my work experience with Northern, (which I did when I was 16, ive just turned 17) I enquired about getting a part time job- (as a member of the gustapo, sorry, barrier staff at Salford Central - before / after college). I was told that there was a possibility, when I was 17 (and preferably once I'd passed my driving test- as it would require early morning (possibly before 1st train) starts. I haven't heard anything however since August.

Derek Kaye

Well if you didn't keep spending money on train tickets going off around the country you wouldn't need much money :P :D

Status
Not open for further replies.