• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Partial First Class refunds for Standard Class travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
With regard to Conditions of Carriage point 38:
NR CoC said:
38. Travelling in standard class accomodation with a first class ticket
If you have a first class ticket (or the equivalent) and the first class accomodation (or the equivalent) shown in the National Rail timetable is not available on any train you travel in, you may claim a refund of the difference in price between the first class and the standard class ticket for the relevant part of your journey.

How is this portion calculated?

To take an example, when travelling from Chester to Blaenau Ffestiniog there's first class accomodation on a Virgin train to Llandudno Junction, but there's nothing on Arriva's Conwy Valley service. What refund would I get on a £22.80 First Single? If I already held a Standard Single, what excess would I have to pay to travel first class between Chester and the Junction? And would that refund incur an 'administration fee' of £10?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member

To take an example, when travelling from Chester to Blaenau Ffestiniog there's first class accomodation on a Virgin train to Llandudno Junction, but there's nothing on Arriva's Conwy Valley service. What refund would I get on a £22.80 First Single?

You would get no refund for Arriva's Conwy Valley service having no First Class Accommodation. The NRCoC quote which you posted states:

NRCoC said:
"If you have a first class ticket (or the equivalent) and the first class accomodation (or the equivalent) shown in the National Rail timetable is not available".
Arriva's Conwy Valley service has no advertised First Class services within the NRT (http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse documents/eNRT/May09/timetables/Table102.pdf) and therefore you are entitled to no compensation for lack of First Class accommodation.

If we talk about this scenario occuring elsewhere in broad terms, the compensation is not dealt with for the relevant section of your journey but rather the portion of journey. For example if any of your outward journey has suffered from lack of advertised First Class accomodation then the passenger is entitled to a refund for that portion, with a return this would be 50% of the difference between the Standard Class and First Class ticket price, with a single this would rise to 100%. If a passenger has suffered a lack of advertised First Class accomodation on both outward and return portions they are then entitled to 100% of the difference between the Standard Class and First Class return ticket.

The compensation however is not calculated to take into account the percentage of mileage you have suffered a loss of First Class accommodation and only refund you that proportion of your overall ticket price.

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
With regard to Conditions of Carriage point 38:
NR CoC said:
38. Travelling in standard class accomodation with a first class ticket
If you have a first class ticket (or the equivalent) and the first class accomodation (or the equivalent) shown in the National Rail timetable is not available on any train you travel in, you may claim a refund of the difference in price between the first class and the standard class ticket for the relevant part of your journey.

A few months ago I bought a £49.50 First Class Advance single from Virginia Water to Swansea. The advertised First Class accommodation was not provided on the Virginia Water - Reading part of the journey. I sent off the tickets and a claim form to SWT and they sent a voucher for £8, which was roughly the difference between a Standard and a First Class Anytime Day Single between Virginia Water and Reading (there are no Advance fares between these two stations).

John

OwlMan

Established Member
Why do the TOCs sell first class tickets for services that do not convey first class?

For Example Coventry - Bedworth (LM dogbox)

FDR 8-40
SDR 3-40

Although if there was first class I would not pay that much extra for a 10 minute journey.

Peter

krus_aragon

Established Member
You would get no refund for Arriva's Conwy Valley service having no First Class Accommodation. The NRCoC quote which you posted states:

NRCoC said:
"If you have a first class ticket (or the equivalent) and the first class accomodation (or the equivalent) shown in the National Rail timetable is not available".

Arriva's Conwy Valley service has no advertised First Class services within the NRT (http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse documents/eNRT/May09/timetables/Table102.pdf) and therefore you are entitled to no compensation for lack of First Class accommodation.

Eurgh. Bad misread on my part. Thanks.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Conversely there are some routes with First class accommodation available (although generally less frequent or limited to a few trains per day) but no priced fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.