• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Partial) West Anglia route additional third track and new station at Meridian Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Be3G

Established Member
There's been lots of talk in recent years about adding an extra track to the West Anglia Mainline to enable extra stopping services between Stratford and Angel Road (STAR). Well, you know how this stuff gets umm'ed and ahh'ed about for so long by so many people that it's almost inevitable for delays to creep in (look at the reopening of Lea Bridge Road, for example). It was therefore a pleasant surprise indeed to notice this explanation regarding an upcoming line closure on the AGA website:

Due to preparatory work for the installation of an additional line on the Lea Valley, all lines will be blocked between Clapton and Waltham Cross all weekend.

Hooray!

Related to this, the three-tracking plan is supposed to necessitate the closure of the level crossing at Northumberland Park; has any firm decision been made about how this is going to be dealt with i.e. what's going to replace it, if anything?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The project is owned by TfL, so I guess they have a bit more focus on it.

There was a Mayoral Decision document about this project published a few weeks ago, found thanks to the London Reconnections site. Quite a few details about the work, costs and timescales in there. Completion March 2018, but with associated timetable changes for it from Dec 2017.

They do mention that they'll need a TWA Order to close Northumberland Park level crossing.

They also discuss making the work future proofed for the fourth track eventually needed:

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/MD1560 STAR_md_part_1 PDF.pdf

Last edited:

Ediswan

Established Member

Includes:
The Task Force will look at improved rail provision on the West Anglia Main Line, including four-tracking the line to Broxbourne as a precursor to Crossrail 2. Four-tracking has potential to unlock significant further housing growth in the Upper Lee Valley

The Upper Lee Valley (or the old A10, take your pick) is an example of the sort of "Ribbon Development" (considered undesirable), which led to the introduction of the Green Belt. Is that form of development now back in fashion ?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The project is owned by TfL, so I guess they have a bit more focus on it.

Err, owned, Sponsored and delivered by Network Rail. Although TfL do have an interest of course.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Related to this, the three-tracking plan is supposed to necessitate the closure of the level crossing at Northumberland Park; has any firm decision been made about how this is going to be dealt with i.e. what's going to replace it, if anything?

No firm decision as it has to go through the consents process - most likely a TWO although possibly something more straightforward if everyone is happy.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Err, owned, Sponsored and delivered by Network Rail. Although TfL do have an interest of course.

No firm decision as it has to go through the consents process - most likely a TWO although possibly something more straightforward if everyone is happy.

Yes I wrongly implied TfL ownership. It seems though that TfL are holding the purse strings for some other fund, but it will of course still be NR infrastructure when completed.

The GLA Mayoral Decision refers to three tracking Stratford to Tottenham Hale.

Is that actually what NR are going to do, or only Tottenham Hale to Angel Road?

Also no mention of Lea Bridge station - is that definitely still happening? Anyone know the proposed opening date?

Also what changes will be made at Tottenham Hale station? A new third platform on the up side?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
my understanding of the STAR project:

Lea Bridge station is currently being built

Angel Road and Northumberland Park will be rebuilt with provision for future four track operation

The third track will be between Tottenham Hale and Angel Road

Tottenham Hale will not be touched until CR2.

Anyone with better knowledge car to correct me?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Angel Road and Northumberland Park will be rebuilt with provision for future four track operation

The third track will be between Tottenham Hale and Angel Road

Tottenham Hale will not be touched until CR2.

Anyone with better knowledge car to correct me?

The third track will be from south of Coppermill Jn to Angel Road.
Third platforms being built at Tottenham Hale, Northumberland Park and Angel Road.

Funding for the Tottenham Hale (incl) southwards is Network Rail - it's a CP5 commitment.

Funding for Angel Road - Tottenham Hale (excl) is from Growth funding secured by the GLA (and others).

Angel Road station upgrade will be funded separately, as it is currently appalling. It might even move south.

Tottenham Hale has a separate station rebuild planned (funding confirmed, planning permission granted) but that is a separate project, albeit complementary and coordinated with STAR.

Be3G

Established Member
Also no mention of Lea Bridge station - is that definitely still happening? Anyone know the proposed opening date?

Yes, after some setbacks it is now definitely happening, with an opening scheduled for next spring.

In coordination with the quote above yours, this is me being probably unnecessarily pedantic but I don't think Lea Bridge Road is actually part of STAR. I believe it's more a local council scheme, which explains why it's not mentioned much when STAR is being discussed.

Angel Road station upgrade will be funded separately, as it is currently appalling. It might even move south.

Let's hope so. It'd be a useful station, if not for the poor access arrangements and the limited service. I expect Enfield Council will be having a big part to play in this station's redevelopment owing to their own nearby planned housing development.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
... but I don't think Lea Bridge Road is actually part of STAR. I believe it's more a local council scheme, which explains why it's not mentioned much when STAR is being discussed.

Lea Bridge was one of the four stations announced by the DfT's 'new stations fund' back in 2013.

IIRC local authorities had to apply to DfT for funding of 'shovel ready schemes' for which work was supposedly ready to go subject to finance.

The other three were Newcourt (Devon), Pye Corner (S Wales), and Ilkeston (Derbyshire).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
is the third track going to the east or the west? If there's a third platform going in at Tottenham Hale on a "temporary" basis I guess east? As anything else would require a complete rebuild
with the three then four tracking, and Crossrail 2, is there anything even on the far horizon regarding the bottleneck that is Clapton?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
is the third track going to the east or the west? If there's a third platform going in at Tottenham Hale on a "temporary" basis I guess east? As anything else would require a complete rebuild
with the three then four tracking, and Crossrail 2, is there anything even on the far horizon regarding the bottleneck that is Clapton?

East.

Clapton - no. Except for building a twin track tunnel underneath it to Wimbledon.

Be3G

Established Member
Lea Bridge was one of the four stations announced by the DfT's 'new stations fund' back in 2013.

IIRC local authorities had to apply to DfT for funding of 'shovel ready schemes' for which work was supposedly ready to go subject to finance.

Indeed, although I would point out that Waltham Forest actually coughed up nearly half of the money for the station themselves (£5m out of £11.6m). The DfT fund only provided 10% of the money.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Indeed, although I would point out that Waltham Forest actually coughed up nearly half of the money for the station themselves (£5m out of £11.6m). The DfT fund only provided 10% of the money.

Which is what the DfT fund was intended to do - encourage others to chip in.

vinnielo

The diggers are in and have cleared trees next to Jarrow Road.
Initial works for the Stratford to Angel Road upgrade?

Feathers44

Is this the addition of the third track that I heard about last week (at one of the Crossrail-2 consultation things)?

TheNewNo2

They're three tracking it now, and will then rip it all up for Crossrail 2? Interesting. I'm not going to pretend that adding extra tracks wouldn't be good, but unless when CR2 arrives it would be 5 track, I'd have thought the sensible thing would be to go to 4 tracks now and save work later.

Alfie1014

Probably to do so would required land take and/or Transport and Works Act legislation, whereas a third track can possibly be accomodated within the existing trackbed.

hwl

Established Member
The StAR works are 3rd track with passive provision for the 4th track later so the 3rd track won't get ripped up later (some modifications in places though)

Feathers44

The StAR works are 3rd track with passive provision for the 4th track later so the 3rd track won't get ripped up later (some modifications in places though)

That's more or less what I heard.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Includes:

The Upper Lee Valley (or the old A10, take your pick) is an example of the sort of "Ribbon Development" (considered undesirable), which led to the introduction of the Green Belt. Is that form of development now back in fashion ?
My parents have been sent a local plan for 2016-2030 in Broxbourne and there's rather a lot of new housing around Cheshunt and the Lea Valley, and very little infrastructure upgrades (besides the possibility of CR2).

A lot of vague mentions of improved cycling facilities, more buses (even though HCC has slashed funding this year) and trying to make out things like changing traffic light phasing as a big deal.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
They're three tracking it now, and will then rip it all up for Crossrail 2? Interesting. I'm not going to pretend that adding extra tracks wouldn't be good, but unless when CR2 arrives it would be 5 track, I'd have thought the sensible thing would be to go to 4 tracks now and save work later.

The thing is there is no guarantee that Cross Rail 2 will happen, although it's clearly needed.

Interesting legal case on this reported by LondonReconnections. Seems the ITT for the new franchise does not in fact require 4 TPH at Angel Road.

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2016/queen-v-sos-dft/

"one line in the judgement is extremely telling. It tells us what we already knew but gives it legitimacy. This is the extent to which it is the DfT who makes operational judgements down to an extremely detailed technical level. This may not be what the DfT want said. Be in no doubt, if the Thameslink 2018 timetable is unworkable – or the East Anglia one coming to that – then, according to this judgement, the fault very definitely lies fairly and squarely with the Secretary of State at the DfT. This will probably not sit comfortably with Conservative MPs who want to blame the TOCs or Network Rail or anyone but themselves for problems at London Bridge this time last year.

One can be in no doubt that the service provided on our railways is micro-managed by the DfT and it must be ironic that privatisation has led to government involved at a level that even the most extreme command economies of any political persuasion would not dream of getting involved in. Certainly in the past this would have been left to British Rail or the Strategic Rail Authority."

plcd1

Looks like a final funding package has been pulled together from various sources. TfL are to become sponsor for the works while Network Rail remain responsible for design, implementation and technical assurance activities. Completion planned for December 2018. Enfield Council have resolved themselves to accepting whatever DfT dish up in the Greater Anglia franchise.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/fpc-160727-item11-star-p1.pdf

Partial quote

Authority Approval: The Finance and Policy Committee is asked to exercise the authority delegated by the Board to approve:

1. unbudgeted Financial Authority of £42.4m, Project Authority of £52.4m and Procurement Authority of £40.96m (in respect of TfL’s contribution to Network Rail STAR costs):
2. TfL’s entry into arrangements with the Greater London Authority (GLA) for the GLA’s transfer of £31.26m of capital funding to TfL as a contribution to the EFC; and
3. TfL’s entry into a contribution agreement with Network Rail (NR) for the provision of a £40.96m contribution towards NR’s STAR costs.

Outputs and Schedule: The project will extend the third tracking of the West Anglia Main Line (WAML) from Stratford – Tottenham Hale through to Angel Road.

This infrastructure will enable the delivery of up to 8,500 new homes and up to 3,500 new jobs by providing the infrastructure capability required to support a four trains per hour (tph) all station service between Stratford – Angel Road, which currently operates a two tph semi-fast service. The operation of the additional services is outside the scope of the project. Works are scheduled to be completed by December 2018.

cle

Established Member
So it's one long shunt/bay platform - the third track... will it be operationally independent and short enough to the point of running 4tph each way from Tottenham to Angel Road on a single track branch?

Or will there be a loop/fourth platform anywhere, which would be part of future proofing for CR2?

And at Angel Road, will the third track end or rejoin the two-track main lines?

snowball

Established Member
Press release

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...-this-autumn-for-a-bigger-and-better-railway/

Work to build a new track between Stratford and Angel Road is being stepped up this autumn as part of the £170m Lee Valley Rail Programme to increase services and boost local regeneration. Network Rail and Greater Anglia are urging passengers traveling between Cheshunt and London Liverpool Street to check before they travel at weekends as trains are diverted to allow the orange army to get to work.

Trains will run, but will be diverted via Seven Sisters every weekend from Saturday 2 September until Sunday 3 December. Once complete, the extra track will enable two additional trains per hour. Improvements will also be made at Northumberland Park and Tottenham Hale stations to improve access for passengers.

Network Rail will carry out the following work as part of its Railway Upgrade Plan:

Strengthening the River Lea rail bridge near Tottenham Hale to support the new third track
Installing foundations for the new overhead line structures to provide power for trains using the third track
Installing foundations for the new island platform and footbridge at Tottenham Hale station to help people move around the station easier
Installing foundations for a new island platform at Northumberland Park to allow access to trains that will use the new track
To make the most of the closure, track will also be renewed near Lea Bridge station as part of the track renewals programme

The work is part of the £170m Lee Valley Rail Programme, which is jointly funded by UK Government, the London Local Enterprise Partnership (now known as “LEAP”), Transport for London and Enfield Council.

Meliha Duymaz, Network Rail’s route managing director for Anglia, said: “We are creating a bigger and better railway in North London as part of our Railway Upgrade Plan. An extra track will enable more trains to run, improving connections to homes and jobs and supporting economic growth. We are also making improvements at Northumberland Park and Tottenham Hale stations to make it easier for passengers to access train services. I’d like to thank passengers for their patience while we carry out this work and urge people to plan ahead before travelling.”

Jamie Burles, managing director, Greater Anglia, said: “These works should provide an improved, more reliable railway for passengers on the West Anglia route. All passengers should check before they travel, and we would like to thank them for their patience and understanding.”

C53425 Lea Valley Improvements Map v5.0

UK Government, LEAP, the Mayor of London, Transport for London, local authorities and Network Rail are working together to deliver benefits in the north London corridor which will improve rail services and maximise economic growth, jobs and housing opportunities. The plans will increase rail capacity on the West Anglia Main Line and accommodate proposed plans for Crossrail 2.

TheDavibob

What's the intended layout for Tottenham Hale? A completely new island platform would give a odd platform layout that would seem to waste space, though of course would allow them to finish the footbridge without the problem of a fourth platform to be brought online at some point.

Or are they immediately bringing four platforms online? This wouldn't be insanely ridiculous, given how much of a hub it is already.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So it's one long shunt/bay platform - the third track... will it be operationally independent and short enough to the point of running 4tph each way from Tottenham to Angel Road on a single track branch?

They could have a few options, but the way it is explained in the route study (last sentence below) is that only 2 tph would use the new track, which I assume means that the current 2 tph would stay as now:
3.9.1 West Anglia capacity enhancement (Stratford to Angel Road)
A scheme is currently in development for delivery in 2018 that will increase the number of trains along the West Anglia route between Stratford and Angel Road (STAR), to provide increased station stops and additional capacity on the route. This will be achieved by providing an additional track from around the Coppermill North Junction area northwards to Angel Road. This scheme is intended to address the medium-term demand arising from industrial and residential developments in the vicinity of Lea Bridge, Tottenham Hale, Northumberland Park and Angel Road stations, with a view to achieving a standard 4tph between Stratford and Angel Road stations. This is achieved through 2tph using the third track and calls in the existing services on the existing pair of tracks.

Page 5 of this seems to be what they are building:

https://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov... 10 - Upper Lea Valley Presentation FINAL.pdf

Further pages show options for a number of longer term alterations...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.