• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Partially used ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddie1729

I bought a ticket (off peak day return) from Stevenage to Peterborough, but I actually only used it to travel from Huntingdon to Peterborough (return). Would I be entitled to the difference in price between the two tickets? There were no delays or anything in the trains I used.

I contacted Trainline and they said to contact Thameslink. I contacted Thameslink by phone and they said to submit a delay repay claim. I submitted a delay repay and they declined it. I resubmitted it and they declined it again and told me to contact Trainline. I contacted Trainline again and said they couldn't do a partial refund because the ticket was used.

What is the correct procedure here?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I don't think you would be. You are entitled to start short or finish short on that ticket, which you did both with the outward and return parts of the journey respectively. But you used the ticket for travel, and had no other valid ticket for the journey.

If you had purchased a new ticket for the journey you took then you would have been entitled to a refund, less any administration charge levied by Thameslink (which would probably mean you were worse off than what you did).

Probably one to chalk up to experience.

freddie1729

Thanks @Brissle Girl. I thought that might be the case.

I looked at the terms of an off peak ticket and it seems to suggest that you can get a partial refund? Seems a bit vague though.

Your ticket is refundable.

If you decide not to use your ticket to make all or part of your intended journey then you can get a refund by returning your unused ticket to the ticket office or place of purchase (for tickets bought via websites, telesales or travel agents) within 28 days of the ticket expiry date. You may be required to pay an administration fee.

The refund amount will normally take into account any use you have made of the ticket and in some circumstances no refund will be paid.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks @Brissle Girl. I thought that might be the case.

I looked at the terms of an off peak ticket and it seems to suggest that you can get a partial refund? Seems a bit vague though.
Yes, but you have already used your ticket, and all the way to the destination, in which case the first part of the journey is not refundable.

You could have purchased a suitable new ticket for your actual journey, and submitted this one for a refund, subject to a £10 admin fee.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What you may wish to consider in the future is that some operators, such as Southern, allow you to refund walk-on tickets for no admin fee, as long as you haven't collected your tickets from the machine, so buying tickets from them will offer you the protection you need in these types of situations.

freddie1729

Thanks, I normally would! I was in a rush so I looked for an eticket I could use for my journey. Huntingdon to Peterborough isn't available on eticket but Stevenage to Peterborough is!

Status
Not open for further replies.