• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Parties Rail Policies Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news for those in the North as Cameron confirmed his commitment to the Northern Powerhouse in his speech yesterday. Locally we can breathe a sigh of relief as funding for the Halton Curve should now remain. Hopefully the next 5 years will see investment in infrastructure throughout the North continue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Camden

Established Member
Good news for those in the North as Cameron confirmed his commitment to the Northern Powerhouse in his speech yesterday. Locally we can breathe a sigh of relief as funding for the Halton Curve should now remain. Hopefully the next 5 years will see investment in infrastructure throughout the North continue.
Depends what part of the north you're in? £15m for the Halton Curve the limit of ambitions outside of Greater Manchester?

Hopefully the next 5 years will investment in infrastructure throughout the North begin.

aylesbury

Well business as usual now and no scrapping of franchises but talk of privatising NR not a good idea remember Railtrack.

gareth950

Well business as usual now and no scrapping of franchises but talk of privatising NR not a good idea remember Railtrack.

If Network Rail is broken up / privatised / flogged off to Cameron & Osborne's 'friends' in the City then the Tories will have once again shown their true colours.
No-one should ever be allowed to forget the series of catastrophic and fatal rail crashes that happened under Railtrack in the late 90s/early 2000s. We now have the safest railway in Europe thanks to publicly owned NR, and whilst safety procedures would be more stringent even under privatised infrastructure, the sole aim of private business is to make a profit for shareholders above all else. This would mean corners would be cut and lives would be put at risk in order to generate a profit (if possible) and any profit that would be generated would go to shareholders, NOT into improving the railway or passenger safety.

If any talk of privatising NR comes from this government, I'll be seriously reconsidering how much I travel by train.

pemma

Veteran Member
This is true, hence why I mentioned the word "started;" rather than completed. It is surely the Government that stumps up the cash that should take the credit.

So, in your opinion, David Cameron's government take the credit for everything Lord Adonis did just because the Coalition's spending review didn't cancel the likes of North West electrification, Thames Valley electrification, Thameslink etc.?

It's not just a case of work starts when the cash is found. Many infrastructure projects get delayed due to local objections to the original scheme and then alternative schemes are looked at. Take the plan for the A556 between the M56 and M6. Originally a solution was proposed in 1998 in the form of the A556(M) which didn't work out. The problem faced wasn't so much the cost but where do you build what will be the main road between Birmingham and Manchester - no-one locally wanted it on their back yard. Eventually a final revised plan emerged in early 2010 (just before a general election), exactly 5 years later (just before a general election) George Osborne announced the scheme had been funded. Both Labour and the Conservatives have been guilty over making promises relating to that scheme just before an election to try and incentivise voters.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think Mr Osborne realises that infrastructure spending on roads and railways is good for the economy. Considering how much traffic jams and disruption on the railways is stated to cost the economy, I would say that capital spending on infrastructure improvements on the railways are one area that won't be cut.

When visiting his constituency Osborne takes a Pendolino to either Wilmslow or Macclesfield and then a taxi. He never uses any local rail or bus services.

In the past he actually indirectly backed local rail services cuts in Cheshire by pushing for regular Manchester to London via Wilmslow trains and not realising that there's only a limited number of services you can run on rail lines.

Now he's going about how great the HS2 station at Manchester Airport will be. I don't think he's realised that the regular Manchester to London via Wilmslow trains he pushed for will finish up being cut back as a result of HS2 or that there's a lack of plans to connect local services to the HS2 services at Manchester Airport. :roll:
Which makes the generous specification for the new Northern franchise all the more problematic.
Other franchises will have to generate more premiums to pay for it.

The Northern/TPE ITTs were due out in the year before an election, while the Conservatives had seats in the North which they won through very small majorities like Weaver Vale.

With the Northern ITT in particular the choice was:
1. Impress the Northerners and then we have a chance of keeping those seats
2. Issue a more limited specification which would annoy Northerners and would mean Labour could promise very little extra and win those seats.

FGW will offload their 143s in the next few years to become a Pacer free franchise. I think in 2019 they'll be little difference between the age of the Northern fleet and FGW local/regional fleet, both will still likely have 150s but then both should have some fairly new trains.

I personally think the areas which need to be concerned about low cost D-Trains or ePacers are the East Midlands and Wales. Both use single car 153s on some services and either D-Trains or ePacers could provide a low cost capacity boost. While in Wales it's likely an interim solution is needed between the 2019 deadline and Valley Lines electrification.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So, in your opinion, David Cameron's government take the credit for everything Lord Adonis did just because the Coalition's spending review didn't cancel the likes of North West electrification, Thames Valley electrification, Thameslink etc.?
New Labour's record on capital investment on our railways is not positive to say the least. And when compared to the Thatcher/Major governments is positively awful.

As far as I can tell the Great Western and North West electrification both had full funding provided for by the pre-2010 government.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Take the plan for the A556 between the M56 and M6. Originally a solution was proposed in 1998 in the form of the A556(M) which didn't work out.

Thank you for picking up this point, the A556(M) was actually first mentioned in the 1962 SELNEC Highways Plan - Does that make Harold Macmillan credit worthy for the current scheme ? ;)
New Labour's record on capital investment on our railways is not positive to say the least. And when compared to the Thatcher/Major governments is positively awful.

Hold it tiger.... John Majors government cancelled the Roads to Prosperity program - £23Bn worth of Highway Improvements ! That goes down as the biggest infrastructure u-turn in UK history.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The good thing about have the Tories is that they shouldn't need to pause railway sending or infrastructure / carriage building and orders, whilst assessing the costs, as they know the costs and money, already being in power.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

This is true. Although it also must be remembered that a lot got done under the Thatcher and Major Governments because the railway had BR to organise it.

Class 170101

Established Member
The good thing about have the Tories is that they shouldn't need to pause railway sending or infrastructure / carriage building and orders, whilst assessing the costs, as they know the costs and money, already being in power.

Depends - if they were Lib Dem supported schemes they might be.

pemma

Veteran Member
Thank you for picking up this point, the A556(M) was actually first mentioned in the 1962 SELNEC Highways Plan - Does that make Harold Macmillan credit worthy for the current scheme ? ;)

We could say something similar with the Ordsall Chord. It was debated in parliament in late 1970s and didn't go ahead but then got resurrected in 2005.

Mikey C

Established Member
Depends - if they were Lib Dem supported schemes they might be.

I'm struggling to remember Lib Dems talking much about transport, if the transport plans were their policies (like the £10,000 personal allowance), I'm sure they would have wanted to take some credit!

pemma

Veteran Member
I'm struggling to remember Lib Dems talking much about transport, if the transport plans were their policies (like the £10,000 personal allowance), I'm sure they would have wanted to take some credit!

Pacer replacement was something the Lib Dems pushed for. Lib Dem John Pugh was constantly drawing attention to it and Nick Clegg called for Pacer trains to be replaced during the next franchise last September two months before David Cameron and five months before Patrick McLoughlin completely ruled out Pacers being used during the next franchise.

The £10,000 personal allowance was something Cameron said couldn't be done but when the Lib Dems said it made the difference between them agreeing to a Coalition or not, Cameron agreed to it. I don't think any transport policies were deal breakers for the Coalition. Although, I think the Lib Dems have been the only party to say single track sections on main routes should be double tracked.

deltic

Established Member
Norman Baker was nominated the best transport minister during the coalition by trade publication "Passenger Transport"

infobleep

Veteran Member
"The first thing I will be doing is pushing for more school places in Kingston and tackling the overcrowding in Surbiton station."
That's a quote from James Berry in the Surrey Commet (http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/1...efeated_in_Kingston_and_Surbiton/?ref=mr&lp=2)

Could someone please explain how Mr Berry will be able to tackle the overcrowding in Surbiton station?

I know South West Trains are refurbishing and introducing more carriages but this started before Mr Berry became the local MP. This was when Ed Davey was the MP. The 7.53 and 8.41 services to Waterloo now benefit from 10 carriages instead of 8. The 7.36 to Waterloo is still 8 carriages and I believe 17.23 Waterloo to Surbiton is also still 8 carriages. I don't know about the other services, some of which are already 12 carriages.

I know an order has been placed for additional rolling stock, which may enable any trains stopping at Surbiton, which are not 10 or 12 carriages, to be so. However again it was placed again before Mr Berry become the local MP.

There is Crossrail 2 but this is only going through the planning stage and it certainly wouldn't be built before the next parliament. Perhaps Mr Berry's tackling of overcrowding will be through supporting that as it goes through parliament.

Last edited:

CdBrux

So you would prefer him to say "but there's nothing more I can do about overcrowding at Surbiton station that's not already approved so I am not going to try"?

infobleep

Veteran Member
So you would prefer him to say "but there's nothing more I can do about overcrowding at Surbiton station that's not already approved so I am not going to try"?
Perhaps he could say it's already in hand but I'll make sure it progresses. That might require him to admit that his predecessor did a job too. However his party was in Government as part of the coalition.

Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
I note from this afternoon's news updates that Patrick McLoughlin has been confirmed as the transport minister for the incoming government. This is good news as he's got experience & can pretty much take up where he left off at the end of the last government.

Heaven forbid that a transport minister actually stays in the post for a decent length of time...!!

WatcherZero

Established Member
Well you wouldn't normally say two years years was experienced for a minister, but then since the average length of a Transport minister is 18 months he has more experience than average.....

Polarbear

Established Member
Well you wouldn't normally say two years years was experienced for a minister, but then since the average length of a Transport minister is 18 months he has more experience than average.....

I knew I should have included the word "relatively" :)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I note from this afternoon's news updates that Patrick McLoughlin has been confirmed as the transport minister for the incoming government. This is good news as he's got experience & can pretty much take up where he left off at the end of the last government.
Heaven forbid that a transport minister actually stays in the post for a decent length of time...!!

There were 4 Coalition DfT ministers before the election with some rail responsibility, one of them a Lib Dem.
Claire Perry was doing the hands-on job with franchises and seemed pretty clued up by the end, hopefully she will continue.
Patrick McLaughlin had the measure of Network Rail and was playing a key role in rail devolution (Rail North/Midlands etc) and HS2/3.
The next utterance on HS2 will be a very key moment.
The Tory Nimby backbenchers will be in no mood to roll over.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I am chiefly worried about the road builders swallowing funds and trashing the countryside. We even have the road building enthusiasts contributing on this site. :(

The PM has also abandoned what he apparently calls 'green cr*p' (I wasn't aware he had ever embraced it, tbh).

Noddy

The next utterance on HS2 will be a very key moment.
The Tory Nimby backbenchers will be in no mood to roll over.

I do think that's probably the only area that Cameron, unless he completely balls it up, can count on the support of 56 SNP MPs, plus numerous Labour ones and the surviving LibDems. It will take a truly massive, swivel-eyed, tory rebellion to stop HS2 Phase 1 now. Phase 2 (especially the eastern arm) is probably less certain, but equally has less of a nimby problem.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am chiefly worried about the road builders swallowing funds and trashing the countryside. We even have the road building enthusiasts contributing on this site.

Indeed we do. I'm quite happy with the idea of spending billions on infrastructure of both the rail and road variety. We still have plenty of 'green and pleasant land' so sticking in a few extra road or rail routes or expanding existing ones isn't going to 'trash' the countryside.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Well - not so long ago - unspent road money went to "shovel ready" rail schemes - think Swindon - Kemble for example ...

With no offence to the good folk in NR (and there are plenty) - we just need to get better at spending money sensibly - so not turning turning say £60M schemes into well over £120M - with daft , unreasonable blockades.

D1009

Established Member
I do think that's probably the only area that Cameron, unless he completely balls it up, can count on the support of 56 SNP MPs, plus numerous Labour ones and the surviving LibDems. It will take a truly massive, swivel-eyed, tory rebellion to stop HS2 Phase 1 now. Phase 2 (especially the eastern arm) is probably less certain, but equally has less of a nimby problem.
Agreed, and as Osborne is still on about the Northern Powerhouse and HS3 which is intended to build on what is already proposed for HS2 phase 2, it looks to me as though HS2 in its entirety is more likely now.

Mikey C

Established Member
Pacer replacement was something the Lib Dems pushed for. Lib Dem John Pugh was constantly drawing attention to it and Nick Clegg called for Pacer trains to be replaced during the next franchise last September two months before David Cameron and five months before Patrick McLoughlin completely ruled out Pacers being used during the next franchise.

The £10,000 personal allowance was something Cameron said couldn't be done but when the Lib Dems said it made the difference between them agreeing to a Coalition or not, Cameron agreed to it. I don't think any transport policies were deal breakers for the Coalition. Although, I think the Lib Dems have been the only party to say single track sections on main routes should be double tracked.

To me those Lib-Dem comments are all suggestions or aspirations, rather than concrete policy decisions, like the electric spine or East-West rail.

Rail policy is relatively unpoliticised at the moment, when compared to the NHS or education, which is probably a good thing.

Moonshot

Established Member
Well - not so long ago - unspent road money went to "shovel ready" rail schemes - think Swindon - Kemble for example ...

With no offence to the good folk in NR (and there are plenty) - we just need to get better at spending money sensibly - so not turning turning say £60M schemes into well over £120M - with daft , unreasonable blockades.

Interesting you should say that, I ve been reading a consultants report today which pretty much says that.....

pemma

Veteran Member
To me those Lib-Dem comments are all suggestions or aspirations, rather than concrete policy decisions, like the electric spine or East-West rail.

Rail policy is relatively unpoliticised at the moment, when compared to the NHS or education, which is probably a good thing.

The point is Pacer replacement may not have been in the Lib Dem manifesto but having Lib Dems in government representing constituencies like Southport and Sheffield Hallam helped push it through.

Pacers are used in George Osborne's constituency. What did Mr. Osborne have to say about Pacer replacement when pushed on it? Some generic bull**** that Stephen Hammond had given him.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Andrew Jones, MP for Harrogate and Knaresborough, is Under Secretary of State (ie junior to the Sec of State and Minister of State).
He appears to be an HS2 enthusiast, and was PPS to Justine Greening while she was Sec of State for transport.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Jones_(politician)

John Hayes (was roads/maritime/infrastructure policy, and almost invisible for rail) has moved to the Home Office.
Still no word on Claire Perry (franchising/fares/Crossrail) or Robert Goodwill (aviation/London/HS2 phase 1), or a replacement for Baroness Kramer (rail policy/devolution/HS2 phase 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.