• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Partners, Taking an interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic1989

Established Member
Just wondering how many of our members Wives/ Husbands, Girlfriends/ Boyfriends etc, take and interest in our hobby.

For my part my partner (aka Mrs Deltic) :wub:, is very supportive of my being a railfan, she even allowed me to take her to the fab four gala as her Birthday treat (You may have seen us if you were there on the 15th April we had the over exited German Shepheard, sorry if the gentleman she nearly tripped over is reading this, really sorry :smile: ). And this evening she sat with me watching Videos of various different trains on youtube and asking pertinant questions.
She also allows our living room to be adorned with the various different railway photographs that I have taken over the years.

Does anyone else have a Partner that takes an interest like this? I would be interested to hear your stories.

( Note for the mods: I put this in General Discussion as it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, but as always feel free to move if you feel it is in the wrong place.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascot

Established Member
Miss (let's not get carried away) Ascot would much rather spend a day shopping in London than riding up and down on a Mk3 all day. I can use it to my advantage though as I offer to go shopping with her but I can sneakily plan on getting a train I want (and cheap). :lol: Naturally she knows what I'm getting up to and I often get a comment or 2 about it but I couldn't imagine her knowing what Chiltern Railways is never mind a Cl67!

Nym

Established Member
The (Not boyfriend because he lives too far away, can't say fella cos he's too young, errr, just say bf) likes big engineeriney things so he's asking me bout trains and takes an interest in stuff when we're on stations, but off of stations there's other, more significant, common interests that take priority.

Although coming to think of it, my first 'date' with him involved a morning at the National Railway Museum, York, before going to some furies meet thing (that typified all meets), then back to York Station to stare at loud things...

Then the first time he came to Manchester we went to play at the MOSI and was rather disappointed that Planet wasn't running...

Yeah, he likes steam now I actually screwed my head on.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
I know about three people with this interest away from this site, none of whom are female, and only one of whom is really serious about it (unless my 4-year-old niece counts!). So even if I did have a partner I would be massively surprised if this did happen! Good for those of you it is true of though :p

I know I could get into trouble for saying this, but I think those on here who, um, prefer their own gender have an advantage here. It is ultimately a male-dominated hobby area, after all...

For my part my partner (aka Mrs Deltic) :wub:, is very supportive of my being a railfan, she even allowed me to take her to the fab four gala as her Birthday treat

:shock: She let you take her to a gala? Someone is too lucky for words!

I can use it to my advantage though as I offer to go shopping with her but I can sneakily plan on getting a train I want

I remember suggesting this to several people last year as an excuse for a compromise. Girls get their shopping; we get travel to and from said shopping. Easy solution, right...?

No No No No. I travel around on trains to get away from the missus. Wouldn't want her tagging along at all

I don't think I would want to either considering what you drive :lol:

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
I know I could get into trouble for saying this, but I think those on here who, um, prefer their own gender have an advantage here. It is ultimately a male-dominated hobby area, after all...

Ha, wish someone would tell my other half that!!

S19

My other half is really into that train geek stuff. I get dragged around on trains left right and centre.

I don't mind travelling to places on them if it's quicker, but that is where the interest stops for me. I do appreciate a good bit of engineering though.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The missus quite likes travelling around on steam trains on preserved lines and the like every now and again, as long as I'm paying for the tickets and probably a bottle of wine or two to help with the atmosphere of getting comfortable in a compartment. And so long as it is only a part of a greater day out walking, wandering around villages, dining in pubs, etc. Suits me down to the ground!

Rugd1022

My other half comes from a railway background so she knows what it's all about - her Dad started work on the GWR in 1944 as a booking lad in Slough West 'box and several relatives on both sides of her family were employed at Swindon Works, Reading, Maidenhead and Old Oak. It's usually her rather than me who keeps an eye on which locos are working mainline charters (steam and diesel). She likes going to steam galas at the Glos & Warks line and the GCR too, but the diesel galas are 'my days' as they usually end up being 'works outings' with other drivers, shunters and signalman!

One of the first birthday presents she ever bought me was Geoff Endacott's book 'Westerns, Warships & Hymeks At Work'.... can't be bad can it...;)

Nym

Established Member

Yes dear, you could get in trouble.

But my current not boyfriend is a rarity, I can only think of 3 homosexual males I know (in person) who have any interest in technical matters, and only two of these a significant interest in rail. They're well distributed around the country too, Newcastle upon Tyne and Somerset...

But I do count myself very lucky at the moment, even though he does play EVE quite a lot...

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My girlfriend knows about my love for riding round on trains, but I haven't yet broached the subject of her possibly joining me on a trip somewhere - she's much keener to offer me lifts here there and everywhere (which I appreciate), though this did once deprive me of some 350 mileage... I still can't decide whether she did me a favour there or not :lol:

She's something of a 'geek' herself, but I've not bored her with various details of my interest yet!

madannie77

My partner is as interested in railways as I am, if not more. The common interest was one of the things which brought us together 15 years ago: I think he was fascinated by a woman who could ramble on at length about the history of the Bakerloo Line, which is what I did on the day when we first met :).

I have to admit that it was my influence that got him photographing buses and coaches, however :oops:.

NY Yankee

I'm not sure about culture in the UK, but in America, there is a stigma about guys who like trains. They're considered geeks. Some people even think they have Aspergers syndrome. I do not talk about trains with women. I used to post at a NYC Subway-based message board, but after 7 years of cyberbullying, I recently left. This is essentially a solitary hobby for me.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Quite, it's much the same over here, though I think it is a lot more accepted in older generations. I never breathed a word about what I do at weekends to anyone at high school. I still don't at college!

Ivo

Established Member
In America, there is a stigma about guys who like trains. They're considered geeks. Some people even think they have Aspergers syndrome.

That might be because some of them do...

...but then I know it's not the best label to have on your side of The Pond. Which means I probably shouldn't go there any time soon.

I do not talk about trains with women. I used to post at a NYC Subway-based message board, but after 7 years of cyberbullying, I recently left. This is essentially a solitary hobby for me.

You're more than welcome here. It's not as though everyone on this site is UK-based (even if the vast majority are).

My partner is quite interested in the railways. Some of you might know him...

Lesson 12 in Stating the Obvious: Describe something everyone already knows about :p

martinsh

Established Member
I'm not sure about culture in the UK, but in America, there is a stigma about guys who like trains. They're considered geeks. ... I do not talk about trains with women..

Well I don't have that problem with my American GF. She's not into trains / buses, but understands my interests. Mind you we share a lot of other interests in common (e.g. beer).

PS she raved about my photos of the Llangollen Railway though !

Robinson

That might be because some of them do...

...but then I know it's not the best label to have on your side of The Pond. Which means I probably shouldn't go there any time soon.

What's this all about? I had no idea about Asperger's being a problem over there. Speaking as someone with Asperger's myself, but also as someone who has often dreamed of visiting the U.S. - though that probably comes from a musical attachment as much as anything (Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel all from the East Coast)...

Ivo

Established Member
What's this all about? Speaking as someone with Asperger's myself, but also as someone who has often dreamed of visiting the U.S. - though that probably comes from a musical attachment as much as anything (Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel all from the East Coast)...

I don't know. It's just an impression I've gained from speaking to lots of other people and reading things on the Internet. I think a lot of it is related to the very occasional extremist case (like the US Government hacking thing for instance).

Hopefully I'm wrong. Hopefully.

gnolife

Established Member
My girlfriend tends to tag along when I go on a bash somewhere - she'll take a sketchbook out at stations with a long interchange time (longer than half an hour or so) and start drawing the building, or the any trains that might be parked.

beermaddavep

I've usually found girlfriends happy enough to ride public transport for fun, if slightly bemused by the interest. As has been mentioned, involving shops or pubs helps, as well as remembering to pay less interest to the machinery than to them!

There have been odd ones that were derisive- definately not keepers ;)

hughesfowler

Well my divorce papers cited railways and railway photography as the grounds for unreasonable behaviour. This is the honest truth as I am sure some will find it hard to believe but it happened.

Ivo

Established Member
Considering that we met through this very forum, I think it's pretty safe to say that my boyfriend is interested in the railways.

I think that's the first time I've seen you actually use the word "boyfriend" on here since this whole thing started! :shock:

We've had two such relationships develop inside a few months of each other :lol:

And I've met three of the four culprits, all more than once...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well my divorce papers cited railways and railway photography as the grounds for unreasonable behaviour. This is the honest truth as I am sure some will find it hard to believe but it happened.

Unless it consistently put another person's life in danger (no more dangerous than visiting the supermarket), that surely can't be reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.