• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passed my DMI.. what should I do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danetime

Hey all,

Recently I passed my DMI for the trainee driver talent pool for St David's. Now the waiting game begins but I was wondering what I can do in the meantime. I'm an external applicant from a completely different industry.

Are there useful books to read? Worth putting more hours into train simulator or would that teach me bad habits? I basically want to improve my knowledge the best way I can.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stretchdj74

Just wanted to say congrats! I have my DMI at St Davids on the 19th. How did you find the DMI?

Stigy

Established Member
Hey all,

Recently I passed my DMI for the trainee driver talent pool for St David's. Now the waiting game begins but I was wondering what I can do in the meantime. I'm an external applicant from a completely different industry.

Are there useful books to read? Worth putting more hours into train simulator or would that teach me bad habits? I basically want to improve my knowledge the best way I can.
Hi, congrats on the DMI results!

There’s not really much you can do now to be honest. My suggestion would be not to worry too much about the fact that you’re external to the railway. There are loads of people in your shoes, from numerous different TOCs. Your training is designed to teach you all you need to know and takes in to account there will be people with no technical knowledge of the railway when they join the company (bear in mind that’s what the psychometric testing is for - remember the ‘Trainability for Rules and Procedures one? - you have demonstrated you’re likely able to learn these things). There’s no harm in gaining a bit of railway knowledge, but certainly don’t delve too far in to it and start reading up on rules and all the technical aspects. Using a train simulator won’t give you any technical knowledge prior to your training, and in my opinion is bordering on going too far in to the rules and technical ability aspect. I’m no expert, but I’d imagine using a train sim isn’t particularly close to real life in terms of train handling. It’ll be realistic in terms of speeds etc, but just use it as a game rather that a true to life simulator.

Last edited:

MidlandsChap

I would suggest nothing related to reading about the job. You need training from somebody who knows what they are talking about and can answer questions, rather than a book or youtube.
Only worthwhile job would be chasing your medical and then contract (but not too much obviously)

Danetime

Just wanted to say congrats! I have my DMI at St David's on the 19th. How did you find the DMI?

Thanks! Honestly, I was very nervous at first but the interviewers were great! Made me feel comfortable and relaxed. I would say it is just like the MMI from stage 2 just with added questions about GWR. I did come away thinking I could have done better though and it was a very nervous 48 hours waiting.

Hi, congrats on the DMI results!

There’s not really much you can do now to be honest. My suggestion would be not to worry too much about the fact that you’re external to the railway. There are loads of people in your shoes, from numerous different TOCs. Your training is designed to teach you all you need to know and takes in to account there will be people with no technical knowledge of the railway when they join the company (bear in mind that’s what the psychometric testing is for - remember the ‘Trainability for Rules and Procedures one? - you have demonstrated you’re likely able to learn these things). There’s no harm in gaining a bit of railway knowledge, but certainly don’t delve too far in to it and start reading up on rules and all the technical aspects. Using a train simulator won’t give you any technical knowledge prior to your training, and in my opinion is bordering on going too far in to the rules and technical ability aspect. I’m no expert, but I’d imagine using a train sim isn’t particularly close to real life in terms of train handling. It’ll be realistic in terms of speeds etc, but just use it as a game rather that a true to life simulator.

Thanks for the advice! I just heard a horror story about an applicant failing the first test (Not sure if it was GWR)and had to find a different role within the company. You bring up a good point about "Trainability for Rules and Procedures" from stage one. I'm just so excited about this new opportunity I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared if or when I get the call.

Danetime

I would suggest nothing related to reading about the job. You need training from somebody who knows what they are talking about and can answer questions, rather than a book or youtube.
Only worthwhile job would be chasing your medical and then contract (but not too much obviously)

Thanks, I'm was under the impression that you only have a medical when they have a start date for you. Is that not the case? At the end of the interview, they gave me the chance to ask questions. I did but now that I have passed I have so many more to ask.

Scottychoo

As the old railway saying goes, "hurry up and wait" , and wait, and wait and .........

Daydr3am3r

Hey all,

Firstly congratulations on getting this far, no east feat.
I am external and have done nothing since aside from a little reading about the depot.
You are lucky as there has been a large recruitment drive at Exeter that continues at this time, so maybe your wait will not be too painful!

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks! Honestly, I was very nervous at first but the interviewers were great! Made me feel comfortable and relaxed. I would say it is just like the MMI from stage 2 just with added questions about GWR. I did come away thinking I could have done better though and it was a very nervous 48 hours waiting.

Thanks for the advice! I just heard a horror story about an applicant failing the first test (Not sure if it was GWR)and had to find a different role within the company. You bring up a good point about "Trainability for Rules and Procedures" from stage one. I'm just so excited about this new opportunity I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared if or when I get the call.
The first test will be the PTS (Personal Track Safety). It’s pass or fail but most pass, and if you don’t, you get another shot at it. I don’t think anybody has failed at this stage a second time. Can’t answer for the rules assessments though if that’s what you were referring to? They will try and get you another job if you don’t pass tests, but that’s far from guaranteed. You will also be supported along the way and although ultimately you’re in charge of your own learning. If there’s something you don’t understand you’ll be urged to ask for help. No such thing as a silly question and all that! You’ll be fine. One step at a time.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks, I'm was under the impression that you only have a medical when they have a start date for you. Is that not the case? At the end of the interview, they gave me the chance to ask questions. I did but now that I have passed I have so many more to ask.
Correct. Once they give you a conditional offer of employment you’ll be invited to the medical. Assuming you pass the medical and reference checks/DBS check, you’ve met the conditions and will be given a formal offer.

Scott1991

Congratulations on passing. I too am in a talent pool however for Paddington. Did they mention in your DMI that there are courses in November and February? I heard there were and am desperately hoping I also get a place soon.

Danetime

Congratulations on passing. I too am in a talent pool however for Paddington. Did they mention in your DMI that there are courses in November and February? I heard there were and am desperately hoping I also get a place soon.

Thanks! I believe they have opened a new training centre down Newton Abbot to increase the number of training positions. If I remember correctly, I was told that trainee drivers from St Davids Exeter, Plymouth and Penzance will train here from now on. I would guess this would free up space at the other training centres?

Do nothing, wait for the next stage, do not pre read......

:lol: Actually a lot harder than you would think!

Status
Not open for further replies.