• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passenger load on Bristol GW services

Status
Not open for further replies.

seawolf

Can anyone from the area comment on how feasible it is to commute on the HSTs and stoppers into Bristol Temple Meads, from Swindon (on HST) and intermediate stations such as Bath (on anything) ?

I imagine they're quite busy in the two rush hours, but when have you found they start to get and finish being uncomfortably busy for a commuter?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lightning76

The HSTs from Swindon don't really get uncomfortably busy at all. Busy, yes, but not so much so that one would wait an hour to avoid them. The shorter trains from the Westbury line can get pretty wedged between Bristol and Bath, but it is only a 15 minute or so journey. It certainly isn't comparable to certain trains into London, or the 1715 ish Sheffield to Manchester I once had the misfortune of taking.

Flamingo

Established Member
Lots do the commute. HST's should, in my experience, fit everybody. Don't confuse lots of people standing with no seats available. The two don't mean the same thing. Of course, if you get a First Class season ticket, there is even more space.

seawolf

Thanks both. Yes, doesn't sound quite like going in/out of most northern cities!

Can I assume that the servies are quite reliable enough, if they're well used by commuters?

Is it also similar from the Cheltenham / Gloucester region?

jimm

Established Member
Thanks both. Yes, doesn't sound quite like going in/out of most northern cities!

Can I assume that the servies are quite reliable enough, if they're well used by commuters?

Is it also similar from the Cheltenham / Gloucester region?

Closer you get to Bristol, the busier the GWR stoppers get, especially from/to Yate. And bear in mind that whereas from Swindon the fast trains are nice long GWR HSTs with lots of seats, the fast trains from Cheltenham are XC Voyagers...

dzug2

Closer you get to Bristol, the busier the GWR stoppers get, especially from/to Yate. And bear in mind that whereas from Swindon the fast trains are nice long GWR HSTs with lots of seats, the fast trains from Cheltenham are XC Voyagers...

The occasional XC HST from Cheltenham as well

jimm

Established Member
The occasional XC HST from Cheltenham as well

We're talking commuting times here and bar the rather busy HST leaving Temple Meads for Leeds at 17.30, none are at times suited to commuting in or out of Bristol.

Bit different to an HST every 30 minutes from/to Bath, Chippenham and Swindon.

Parallel

Established Member
The HSTs between Swindon and Bristol can get busy but not too bad unless there's disruption. In terms of stopping/other services between Bath and Bristol (i.e. Bristol - Westbury etc), these can be very busy.

Last edited:

LordCreed

What about services to Weston and Taunton?

XC Voyagers can be uncomfortable in the peaks. You'll get on, but most likely will end up standing and the carriages can get very warm.

The units can be busy as far as Weston, but they do quieten down by Taunton.

lightning76

In my frequent but random experience the service east of Bristol is reliable if one isn't too discerning. Delays of 10-15 minutes are common and should be factored in to any plans. Serious delays or cancellations are no better or worse than anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.