• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passenger numbers: what science is leading to the up and coming increase in services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Hopefully this hasn't been discussed already but I didn't find a thread.

Given service frequencies will Increase either on the 7 or 14 September, are passenger numbers predicted to increase around or shortly after this time? What science are they using to increase train services on these dates? Especially off peak.

This summer I have been travelling to various places from Guildford including multiple trips to Eastbourne.

Now that the school holidays are practically over, I imagine I will make less trips mid week to places and only really travel at weekends if visiting family. However this is at the point just before service frequencies are being increased! I'm talking about off peak in my perticular cases

Even after the increase I probably would think twice about travelling to London for the evening as the last fast train from Waterloo to Guildford, with a loo on board, is the 22:45. There is an 0:09 at least, abet with no loo. Although last Saturday evening I couldn't see it listed. I was on a delayed train from Bournemouth to Woking and thought there was a slight chance I might miss the 23:13 Woking to Guildford service, which was as far as I could see, the last service from Woking to Guildford. It wasn't as it turned out. As it was, I made the connection. However I see the 0:09 didn't run on Bank Holiday Monday.

I appricate my thinking on this is coloured by the train services that pass the through Guildford and it maybe different elsewhere in terms of passengers travelling.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic

Established Member
Government is hoping more people will go back to work in their offices once the schools are back and therefore want more services introduced to ensure social distancing and to give the message that things are back to normal. There are certainly a number of lines where services are effectively useless for commuters eg mid-Cheshire line from Manchester to Chester. The marginal cost of running services is relatively low given crews and rolling stock are generally already being paid.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Government is hoping more people will go back to work in their offices once the schools are back and therefore want more services introduced to ensure social distancing and to give the message that things are back to normal. There are certainly a number of lines where services are effectively useless for commuters eg mid-Cheshire line from Manchester to Chester. The marginal cost of running services is relatively low given crews and rolling stock are generally already being paid.
What about off peak? Are the government wanting more people to travel to work then? I mean Reading to Gatwick Airport doesn't run in thr peak at the moment, let alone off peak.

They are going from running no trains save 2 in one direction on a Sunday night and 1 in the other, yo running them 7 days a week. Both peak and off peak. I appreciate they were running to Redhill but that didn't always time so we'll for connections.

There must be some reason why they think now is a good time to bring them back to Gatwick Airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.