• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passenger train derailment between Inverness & Carrbridg

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Seems like the same thing that happened to the TPE 175 just south of Lancaster has happened in Scotland..

Time Reported: 07:45
Route Affected: Inverness - Aviemore - Perth - Edinburgh - Newcastle - York - Doncaster - Peterborough - London Kings Cross
TOC/s Affected: First ScotRail, GNER
Description: Train services are being disrupted between Inverness and Carrbridge due to a passenger train colliding with a landslip. There are no reported serious injuries. The line is currently closed. Road transport will operate between Inverness and Aviemore in both directions until further notice. There is no estimate for a normal train service to resume

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Well they've updated it since i posted before, because It just had a brief paragraph or so on it.

ChrisA

I found this from The Times website:

[/i]A major emergency has been declared after a train carrying almost 100 people derailed near Inverness following a landslip. The incident, involving the Inverness to Edinburgh train, happened at about 7.20am after a landslide in the Moy area, close to Culloden in the Highlands. Police, fire and ambulance services are all at the scene and an RAF rescue helicopter was scrambled after the landslip on the line.

Not a lot of info though. have to keep an eye on BBC News 24

T

Tom

A "not-a-big" derailment turns into another "major" emergency by our media.

Do they have a template?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Lol they must do, but it's probablly glued into them that whenever some kind of accident happens, they must make it sound ALOT more bad than it actually is. (It probablly comes naturally to them now)

Nick W

Established Member
No one died, but the worse injured, the driver, with a broken nose, was heroically able to help the passengeras and raise the alarm.

I wonder what we can do about landslides. Nothing short of using lazers similar to tescoes tunnel I guess.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
No one died, but the worse injured, the driver, with a broken nose, was heroically able to help the passengeras and raise the alarm.

I wonder what we can do about landslides. Nothing short of using lazers similar to tescoes tunnel I guess.

well that is VERY good of the driver, I think he should be praised for his efforts dispite his injury (or her for that matter!) [/quote]

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I wouldnt exactly call it heroic, after all it is the Drivers sole responsibility that as long as he is capable, he is to call attention and protect his train, and only when this has done must he return to the train to ensure that the passengers are in no immediate danger, the Guard is required to stay with the train and ensure that passengers dont try to get off unless they are in immediate danger.

I dont see why the media make such a big fuss out of things like this, it only hit a bit of mud and jumped the tracks, gave a few people some bruises and broken bones, and just gave the others a bit of a panic. Whereas there are numerous car accidents each day where people are killed which are normally only featured in Traffic Updates, I'm surprised that we dont have full live coverage of the accident with somebody asking some yokels what they saw.

Coxster

Established Member
Myself and Yorkie saw this on the TV screens at King's Cross this evening. A 158 was called and pulled up behind the Class 170 to return the passengers to Inverness station for onward road transport.

Lesjordans

its not even that bad, i was in a derailment at Garelochhead (156) and it just bumped quite a bit and all the lights went out (pitch dark outside) though there were only 33 people on board

Coxster

Established Member
Lesjordans said:
its not even that bad, i was in a derailment at Garelochhead (156) and it just bumped quite a bit and all the lights went out (pitch dark outside) though there were only 33 people on board
You have to remember that to make a story, the press have to make it look more dramatic that it really is. I'm not sure it'd have been reported if the type of weather the country is getting was widespread (although down south we have had no snow - just slushy ice stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.