• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passenger Train Derailment near Retford

Status
Not open for further replies.

redthunder

There has been a passenger train derailment (Northern??) between Retford & Gainsborough Lea road caused by a landslip

Only details I know is that there is replacement buses between Retford & Lincoln!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

syorksdeano

There has been a passenger train derailment (Northern??) between Retford & Gainsborough Lea road caused by a landslip

Only details I know is that there is replacement buses between Retford & Lincoln!!!!

Noticed this earlier. Currently sat in Doncaster and screens changed in the last 2 seconds that the 1402 is now running to Retford via Sheffield. Was showing Lincoln until I enquired how the train was going to do it. Staff here didn't know. The wonders of twitter.....

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
According to the article above, some people have suffered minor injuries - so wishing them a quick recovery. Surprised to read that there were only 17 onboard, at that time of day the trains are usually busier - probably fortunate it wasn't on this occasion.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Hoping for a speedy recovery to any injured passenegers and of course the train, sure northern are relishing being a unit down!

And i think thats the back unit not a 153

David

Established Member
With all the rain we've had around here in the past couple of days, I'm not surprised something like this has happened. There have been some torrential cloudbursts!

ryan125hst

Established Member
OK, not quite relevant but an important security question. Is anyone who has posted on here called Larry? If so could you please PM me. Thanks.

It's about the above Twitter links.

Last edited:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
OK, not quite relevant but an important security question. Is anyone who has posted on here called Larry. If so could you please PM me. Thanks.

It's about the above Twitter links.

Erm, what? I'm sure I can't be the only person confused and slightly intrigued by this.

Yew

Established Member
Thats my local line, Its shook me up a bit as I was planning on traveling along it today :/ Get well soon to the two who have been injured, hope its nothing too serious.

Any idea what will happen to the unit involved? repaired? cannibalised for parts?

ryan125hst

Established Member
Erm, what? I'm sure I can't be the only person confused and slightly intrigued by this.

I live in Retford so have been posting the Twitter links on Facebook. I can view the pages fine. Strangely, one of my friends was only getting the Twitter homepage.

I then spoke to my cousin on Facebook chat, who, after she tried to view the pictures, alerted me to the fact that she couldn't see them, but someone called Larry, and password was showing up (presumable it was in the ***** form though).

Obviously, this has worried me as I don't want the security of anyone to be compromised. As I have mentioned above, I don't see any of this, just the "Sign in" icon at the top right of the page, so was unaware of this when I posted these links.

I apologize if the above user is, in fact, someone on here. Obviously, they need to be aware so that they can remove/update their links, (I also recommend that they change their password. It is likely that other people may get the same problem and won't be so responsible- it is a public forum after all). It is strange that it seems to depend upon the person who views the photographs and even the device (my cousin was viewing on a mobile phone).

Regards

Ryan

sprinterguy

Established Member
Any idea what will happen to the unit involved? repaired? cannibalised for parts?
Repaired no doubt, as with other Heaton 142s that have collided with obstacles in the past. Assuming that there's no major damage to the frame then Northern can't afford to have one less unit in service, being cannibalised for spares.

fgwrich

Established Member
Repaired no doubt, as with other Heaton 142s that have collided with obstacles in the past. Assuming that there's no major damage to the frame then Northern can't afford to have one less unit in service, being cannibalised for spares.

Especially as this is the second Northern Class 142 within 24hours that will now be out of service for a while, joining the ranks of Cardon Shaft dropping 142003.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Especially as this is the second Northern Class 142 within 24hours that will now be out of service for a while, joining the ranks of Cardon Shaft dropping 142003.

Haven't seen the pictures yet but is there a possibility of a hybrid unit reducing the impact of these 2 incidents?

ryan125hst

Established Member

Another Cardan shaft problem? There has been quite a few now hasn't there- I remember reading about these problems the other week. Didn't one incident happen in the Newcastle area a year or two ago? What causes them and does it affect any other DMU's?

driver9000

Established Member
Another Cardan shaft problem? There has been quite a few now hasn't there- I remember reading about these problems the other week. Didn't one incident happen in the Newcastle area a year or two ago? What causes them and does it affect any other DMU's?

The first incident was at Durham last April. The cause was identified as defective bearings in recently overhauled final drives. 16 Northern Pacers (both 142 and 144) were affected, not sure if 142003 was one of them though. The affected units were restricted to 60mph until they covered a set number of miles and some fitted with equipment to monitor the bearing temperature and on the whole this dealt with the issue.

fgwrich

Established Member
It would appear 003 Decided to throw it's Cardon Shaft off last night whilst working ECS to Heaton. Just noticed this over on WNXX...

Not seen anything mentioned on here about 142003 which lost a cardan shaft at Plawsworth on Thursday night on a ECS from Darlington to Heaton. The shaft was found in the four foot along with what was thought to be diesel from a ruptured fuel tank. This apparently turned out to be hydro oil from the gearbox.

Simbids SLW was instituted before the errant set was shifted

So, Northern, now down by 2 pacers again...One due to the Lanslip, and another with mechanical problems again...

ryan125hst

Established Member
Does anyone know whether this line has now reopened?

I've just entered Retford to Lincoln into the National Rail Enquiries website and there is no mention of a rail replacement bus, and the journey time is displayed at 34 minutes.

This leads me to believe that it has reopened. Can anyone confirm this?

brianthegiant

shame, was hoping would be 1 less pacer...

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Does anyone know whether this line has now reopened?

I've just entered Retford to Lincoln into the National Rail Enquiries website and there is no mention of a rail replacement bus, and the journey time is displayed at 34 minutes.

This leads me to believe that it has reopened. Can anyone confirm this?

It was certainly buses yesterday - I travelled on a Doncaster to Retford via Sheffield, however NRE shows disruption cleared at 14.25 today https://twitter.com/#!/NRE_Northern/statuses/196590934710956032

Status
Not open for further replies.