• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers' bad habits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Someone at work had a ringtone which was the start of a song, it went something like "Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?"
You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night) by Meat Loaf.

Cool. [emoji41]

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is recording without consent legal in Britain?

No, but it is legal to make a recording of the noises of the train ride itself, so...

"Dear Mr Chief Executive of Whatever plc,

On ( date ) I was travelling from x to y and, being an ardent railway enthusiast, I had planned to use this trip to make a recording of the noises the modern Class 390 train made, in the same vein that many people in the past recorded steam locomotives and the classic diesels.

Unfortunately this plan was ruined by one of your senior directors on his mobile phone. The resultant ruined recording is attached.

I was nowhere near him - at least 30 feet from him down the carriage - and the number of seats that were already occupied made it impractical for me to move; in any case he was clearly fully audible throughout the entire carriage.

Given that the purpose of my journey was rendered useless, I am claiming from you damages to the cost of making the journey again in order to obtain an uninterrupted recording. A copy of my ticket is attached as proof of expense.

As a very busy person to whom this has obviously caused me some considerable inconvenience I am also claiming for my time for the second journey at £50.00 per hour; from start to finish including the necessary connecting journey and time taken getting to / from my home this totals z hours resulting in a charge to you of £ ( sum total of hours plus ticket ).

Your prompt settlement of these costs would be appreciated.

Thank you for your attention.

( Name )"

There. Job done, breach of confidentiality reported, source of nuisance dealt with, very likely your ticket paid for and a reasonably good chance of getting a nice tidy sum on top for your time as well.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
A lady was eating a spicy curry thing on the Northern line the other day. I Thought that eating and drinking had been banned on the Underground.?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Drinking alcohol has been, but not sure about eating. There are signs about showing courtesy but I doubt any of it is illegal.

Senex

Established Member
No, but it is legal to make a recording of the noises of the train ride itself, so...

But if someone is talking so loudly that he can be heard clearly from 30 feet away, isn't he effectively addressing a public meeting rather than holding a private conversation (doing which implies some attempt to keep what you're saying confidential)? So doesn't he become just like one of the politicians whose gaffes, both in their actual speeches and in what are intended to be private asides, have long been fair game for all and sundry? I suppose what I'm asking is when you surrender your right to privacy (and so not to be recorded) by your own conduct?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
But if someone is talking so loudly that he can be heard clearly from 30 feet away, isn't he effectively addressing a public meeting rather than holding a private conversation (doing which implies some attempt to keep what you're saying confidential)? So doesn't he become just like one of the politicians whose gaffes, both in their actual speeches and in what are intended to be private asides, have long been fair game for all and sundry? I suppose what I'm asking is when you surrender your right to privacy (and so not to be recorded) by your own conduct?

That's a good point.

Either way, I can't see any problem with recording his voice.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Passengers who decide to stop to check their phone just outside the train doors, getting in the way of other passengers wanting to alight and also passengers waiting to board

Minilad

Established Member
Passengers who decide to stop to check their phone just outside the train doors, getting in the way of other passengers wanting to alight and also passengers waiting to board

Not as bad as the ones that step off the train and stand there faffing about trying to get the handle up on their trolly bags.

In fact trolly bags in general

Drogba11CFC

Passengers who eat McDonalds or Burger King on trains.

Passengers who pile onto the train before anyone can get off.

Passengers who take up the entire stairwell after getting off.

Canine passengers who do their business on the train.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member

Had that one yesterday at Liverpool Street with the LOROL services which have a tight turnaround. Seems to crowd around the doors when the 315/7 rolls in without thinking about allowing passengers off first!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A couple of weeks ago I had the opposite... I stepped aside to allow people off, but the young lad getting off instead stayed on but stood to one side in an attempt to let me ON first!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
A couple of weeks ago I had the opposite... I stepped aside to allow people off, but the young lad getting off instead stayed on but stood to one side in an attempt to let me ON first!

Yes, I have experienced that sometimes too, rather confusing!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Passengers who eat McDonalds or Burger King on trains.

Passengers who take up the entire stairwell after getting off.

Canine passengers who do their business on the train.

Yep, I agree with these points, (especially re the Canines, leaving a horrid souvenir!), (I was on an IC train some years ago in Germany, travelling from Koln to Munich, it was a side corridor 6 people in compartment coach, & a lady in another compartment had a small dog which she took for a walk every now again along the corridor and let it out quickly for a "Business" stop at each station, however, it then did a big number 2 between stops which stank the coach out, even with the compartment doors closed. She was very embarrassed and said he'd never done that before. I has a can of aerosol deodorant which I sprayed around and it did mask them pong for a while.) I don't think it was fair to take a dog for a long journey like that.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Anyone who thinks it's okay to subject other passengers to the same text alert over and over and over and over and over and over again, especially that five-note whistle one.

Ah I know the one you mean, its usualy emitted from someones crap phone 5.

AM9

Veteran Member
Head down and lead with the shoulder. Usually gets them to move out of the way <D

That's my tactic, - especially easy as you are usually stepping down from above platform height.
There was one of those at CBG on Saturday, a young woman/girl was dead centre so I paused and she moved to the left about 6 inches. Then as i went forward, decided that she didn't want to miss a chance of a seat and moved back in. My camera bag obviously caughtr on her arm, but there wasn't much I could do about that.
Posting this comment reminded me of an incident on the early seventies during one of Ray Buckton's work to union rules, when I commuted in from Essex. The crowd was about 10 deep at Chelmsford as there hadn't been a train for about 30 minutes. Then unusually, an ex Norwich train stopped, (they never did in the peak).
Where I was, a door swung open, and a chap of say 40'ish just stood there, then somebody on the platform shouted, "oh come on"! He then said that he wouldn't get off until there was a clear way through the crowd and started to close the door. Needless to say, he wasn't allowed to, somebody grabbed his arm and he went what I believe is now called 'crowd surfing'. However right you are, best not to be unreasonable with angry commuters during troubled times.

Last edited:

prod_pep

Established Member
Glad to hear I'm not the only one driven bonkers by the Samsung whistle. Most others are OK but that one sounds incredibly obnoxious somehow.

People snapping chewing gum is amongst my least favourite habits to encounter on trains. It happens quite a lot too.

CC 72100

Established Member
If it's the one I am thinking of then it's an android device thats being heard

I know the feeling - the most annoying text tone ever!

(says the bloke who has just got a Samsung, but don't worry, it's kept on silent! ;))

t0ffeeman

shelling monkey nuts all over the floor creates the most mess I've ever seen.... and happens regularly

Minilad

Established Member
shelling monkey nuts all over the floor creates the most mess I've ever seen.... and happens regularly

Not railway related but it involves shelling nuts!!
Any visit to a baseball game in the states requires wading through mountains of peanut shells at the end. A visit to watch New York Mets in 2011 I had a guy behind me who insisted everyone had a handful of peanuts then preceded to produce the most enormous bag of peanuts I have ever seen. It fed pretty much the whole block of seats. I bet the cleaners hated him!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was waiting at Waterloo for my local train to arrive yesterday evening and there was a chap by me, who as soon as the train arrived he pressed the door open and walked straight on, almost barging the people who were getting off. So Rude. I don't know why he was in such a hurry to get on as he sat in a not very good seat position anyway.

12CSVT

Established Member

Perhaps you should discreetly photograph them in the act and report them.
If some of these idiots get prosecuted for littering maybe the message might eventually get through.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
He's probably aware of SWT's overcrowding problems and wanted a seat. Still rude though.

Yes, but it was not even rush hour. Maybe he just likes being first on board. (I wonder if he heard the comments made about him by the passengers trying to get off?)

Status
Not open for further replies.