• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers' bad habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would like to add people who jump in your seat when you've clearly vacated it temporarily to visit the loo. (I deliberately wait until after the train has left the station so that there can be no confusion that I've left the train).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
I would like to add people who jump in your seat when you've clearly vacated it temporarily to visit the loo. (I deliberately wait until after the train has left the station so that there can be no confusion that I've left the train).

Almost worth carrying one of those foldaway macs, so you can spread it over your seat if you have to vacate it for a short time. Or are you one of those blokes who carries nothing that won't fit in his pockets? :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Almost worth carrying one of those foldaway macs, so you can spread it over your seat if you have to vacate it for a short time. Or are you one of those blokes who carries nothing that won't fit in his pockets? :lol:

I usually throw down my scruffy jacket, but on this occasion the train didn't seem to busy so I didn't bother. Low and behold....

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Cardiff - Taunton services have a large turnover of passengers at Bristol Temple, so where is the best place to put a pushchair? Yep right in the way of the doors and get arsey when people alighting from the service have to push it out of the way so they can leave the train.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Exactly that happened to me yesterday. I was travelling to Brussels for the day, in Standard Premier Class. Shortly after we departed I (ahem), needed to go to the loo. I was only gone for a few minutes, but when I came back, there was a man and his toddler daughter sitting in my place, he clearly did not like his own seat, (which was one of those with little window view,), mine had a good window. He did move, but I did not get an apology.

Infact he was with a large group of noisy parents and kids who were going to Eurodisney, not quite sure why they were travelling in Standard Premier.

They were constantly getting in and out of their seats, moving around the carriage, getting in the way of the train crew, catering trolleys etc, not sure who were worse in fact, the adults or kids.

For some reason, I don't think there was direct train to Disney Paris yesterday, surprising as it is peak season. This group got off at Lille to change onto a TGV that was calling there on the way to the south. it was lovely and peaceful for the rest of the trip to Brussels after they alighted.

I had another unpleasant trip involving parents and a very young child last year when travelling back from York to K.X. again in First Class. I had one of the nice single seats, but behind me across the aisle in a set of four seats around a table, were 2 parents and child. The mother then decided it was nappy change time, this was at the same time as the crew were serving the light meals and drinks. Nappy changes are not normally a problem if it's done using the baby change facilities which were nearby, but instead, she did it at the seat and table, in full view of everyone, which I thought was revolting. People have to sit and eat where she was doing this. I know seats and tables are cleaned, but this would have needed a strong disinfectant. Yuk.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, I've seen that too on a Virgin cross country train back in the day. Should be made to go to the loo.

Drogba11CFC

And woe betide anyone who points this out.

On a Winchester to Portsmouth service yesterday, I came across a father who was using his phone to play a film without headphones. When I pointed out that it was the quiet coach, he responded that he could turn it off, but then his child would start screaming.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I had another unpleasant trip involving parents and a very young child last year when travelling back from York to K.X. again in First Class. I had one of the nice single seats, but behind me across the aisle in a set of four seats around a table, were 2 parents and child. The mother then decided it was nappy change time, this was at the same time as the crew were serving the light meals and drinks. Nappy changes are not normally a problem if it's done using the baby change facilities which were nearby, but instead, she did it at the seat and table, in full view of everyone, which I thought was revolting. People have to sit and eat where she was doing this. I know seats and tables are cleaned, but this would have needed a strong disinfectant. Yuk.

Someone should have told here to go to the Baby Change facility and if she refused, get the guard involved. Did anyone complain?

trainophile

Established Member
That's interesting to learn that Eurostar have viewless seats even in Standard Premier. Been tempted to upgrade next time, but might end up against the wall rather than a window, in which case it's hardly worth paying the extra.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Infact he was with a large group of noisy parents and kids who were going to Eurodisney, not quite sure why they were travelling in Standard Premier.

??

When we took my three year old to Disneyland Paris in May, we went standard premier. Should I have not done so?

Nobody said anything to us, including the rep that gave us our park tickets.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
??

When we took my three year old to Disneyland Paris in May, we went standard premier. Should I have not done so?

Nobody said anything to us, including the rep that gave us our park tickets.

Apologies. No offence meant, I am sure your child was well behaved, sadly the adults and kids yesterday were very rowdy.

I think on the normal direct Eurostar services to Eurodisney do also have an upgraded service called castle class? I think I was just unlucky with the other passengers.

Last edited:

Established Member
Passengers who take a whole four seater by putting their feet on the seat opposite and bags on the other two seats. I was on a train recently and a woman did this - I asked politely for her to move her bags but she refused. After I said that I would get the guard to remove them so I could sit down she very begrudgingly moved them

DasLunatic

Passengers who take a whole four seater by putting their feet on the seat opposite and bags on the other two seats. I was on a train recently and a woman did this - I asked politely for her to move her bags but she refused. After I said that I would get the guard to remove them so I could sit down she very begrudgingly moved them

I think I saw a bloke do this with a six-seater on one of GA's 315s - he sat in the middle, legs spread out, and three bags on the three seats. Then again, it was doing Braintree shuttles on a Sunday...

Tracked

Established Member
Not listening to announcements, as in; on Wednesday I came home from London Village on the 16:03 GC to Bradford, station announcements & signs that it was Grand Central, followed by guard stating several times that this was a Grand Central service and to check tickets to make sure you're on the right train, etc.

Result: At least 2 groups of people in my carriage had tickets for a different (VTEC) service, somehow unaware they were on the wrong train.

More amusing in that case really though.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Not listening to announcements, as in; on Wednesday I came home from London Village on the 16:03 GC to Bradford, station announcements & signs that it was Grand Central, followed by guard stating several times that this was a Grand Central service and to check tickets to make sure you're on the right train, etc.

Result: At least 2 groups of people in my carriage had tickets for a different (VTEC) service, somehow unaware they were on the wrong train.

More amusing in that case really though.

I Have been on several proper nice charter trains, either diesel or steam hauled and people have got on board thinking it's a service train, usually to a totally different destination than where the charter is going to! (These charter trains tend to look and sound somewhat different to service trains, some people seem to not notice that either.)

I have also been on trains where there have been plenty of clear announcements, but passengers claim not to have heard them. Some people seem to be in a little world of their own.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had a day out yesterday in and around part of Kent, which involved 10 trains and four buses, had a great day out, all my connections worked well, apart from coming back to Victoria when some lads pulled the emergency door control on the train which meant I was half an hour late getting back home. Grr.

We came to a quick halt at St.Mary Cray while they sorted this out, I suppose a reset was required. Not sure if the persons involved were chucked off the train there or not.

Whistler40145

Established Member
That's not funny, pulling the communications chord, I hope they were chucked off.

Even worse is being in a crowded carriage and someone does an enormous Jam Tart (Fart), don't know which is worse, a right smelly one or a very loud one. I know it's not funny, but painful when you can't hold it in any longer!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Smokers who decide to have a sneaky fag in the toilet.

Only to complain when they are kicked off at the next stop and met by a member of the BTP.

Pigeon

nono.gif
Rail companies' bad habits: trapping people on a train for hours on end while failing to provide anywhere to smoke.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If someone can't survive for a couple of hours without a smoke then either they need to buy a ticket which allows them to break their journey at intermediate stations for a smoke break or they need to use an alternative form of transport.

jon0844

Veteran Member
How is anyone trapped on a train? Assuming it hasn't broken down, then you'd know when you were getting on and off, and know you couldn't smoke. Thus, if you crave a fag part way through then you f'd up your planning.

davetheguard

Established Member
Keeping their ticket inside their sock, in their shoe. "I might lose it otherwise".

And expressing surprise when the Guard is not very keen to examine it closely as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.