Passengers being unaware of available TVMs

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by boyaloud, 13 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boyaloud

boyaloud Member

I'm referring to incidences when there is a long queue for TVMs when there are a few being unused right next to them. I know us Brits supposedly "like" queuing but it is really annoying at say Manchester Picc when there is often a long queue for the Northern machines, I am guessing people don't realise they can use Virgin ones to buy Northern tickets etc. Additionally, the machines opposite Starbucks, which are admittedly a bit tucked away, often have no queue at all when the other ones have huge queues. Also, often there will be one machine free in the midst of about 6 being used, and people stay in the queue despite the fact they surely must be able to see it! Do these behaviour patterns drive anyone else crackers, and do you say anything? I often do now.

2. Agent_c

Agent_c Member

Shhh... Just go to the quiet ones and keep the secret :P Same goes with ATMs....

3. josh-j

josh-j Member

I think if there was one in the middle not being used for any obvious reason, I might assume there was something wrong with it and stay in the queue... :s

4. dvboy

dvboy Established Member

quite often see a queue for the bank of 3 TVMs at Birmingham New Street opposite Delice de France, when there's a bank of 20 or so a minute's walk away

5. GodAtum

GodAtum Established Member

Same with Guildford, there is always a long queue on the Guildford Park Road exit, but there are plenty of TVMs on the main side of the station.

6. Hyphen

Hyphen Member

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
    My favourite trick at Sheffield (I last used it regularly 2-3 years ago) was to head for the Northern machine in the bank of 4 under the destination boards, which would almost never have anyone using it - despite there always being a queue for the bank of them.

There was just something about the fact it was purple as opposed to silver (EMT ones) that meant people just would not go for it. And despite clearly shoving into the queue, I never once got shouted at. And nobody ever went for it after me!!

7. AngusH

AngusH Member

I can't help feeling that there ought to be a standard colour and layout for these machines.

Having different colours and physical designs seems to encourage confusion.

Possibly also a standardised software interface layout on the machines too, with the tickets arranged in a standard and logical order as specified by ATOC or a committee somewhere.

I've read quite a lot of complaints about these machines from both those I think are passengers and those I think are railway staff.

Last edited: 13 May 2015
  8. cf111

cf111 Established Member

I agree entirely. At the moment I'd settle for touch-screens that require less force to use though!

9. CharlieSpotted

CharlieSpotted Member

Yeah, this happens pretty much every day. New Street is, of course, a total ****ing carbuncle at the moment but one thing they seem very keep on is tons and tons of signage. I've often wondered why there aren't signs above these telling people there's more just down the way.

10. asharpe

asharpe Member

Yes, I'll just get a bridge pass to go to the other side if there is a long queue. In the main hall there is often a queue for the set by the ticket office but the ones just to the side of the entrance are free.

In Leeds there is often a queue for the small group of Northern machines, but the vast number of EC machines are free.

But Kings Cross is the worst I see, there can often be queues 20 deep for the 2 pairs of machines in the middle, but many of the other machines have no queues at all. I'll occasionally help out people who look a bit panicked.

11. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Member

Now, if only one could be certain that (hypothetically) having bought a ticket at, say a Northern machine at Manchester Picc, and then discovering some problem with it (such as a mistake in, say destination) that the Virgin ticket office would honour their obligation to change it, excess it, whatever - rather than telling the customer to take it up with the machine's operator.

12. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

Sorry, I thought for a second you meant you wanted signs stating 'There are more signs located further along here' !:o

13. CharlieSpotted

CharlieSpotted Member

Haha! I can see how it could be read that way!

"Do you like signs? Boy, have we got signs for you! Just follow the signs!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.