• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers boarding while doors are closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPIC

I don't mean automated external announcements, I mean a driver controlled PA, where I can hurry people up a bit or tell people jabbing the buttons after doors close to stand back you've missed it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you mean body side hazard lights on the Desiros they flash when the guard is keyed in in that vehicle rather than anything to do with the doors closing.

Additionally, on 350/2, /3 and /4, they flash differently[1] on all vehicles when closure has been initiated.

[1] The "keyed in" flash is 50% on, 50% off. The "closing" flash is something like 80% on, 20% off.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't mean automated external announcements, I mean a driver controlled PA, where I can hurry people up a bit or tell people jabbing the buttons after doors close to stand back you've missed it!

Yes, I agree this would be most useful. I have long thought buses should have that facility too.

LowLevel

Established Member
Oh right - I shall have to keep a look out next time I see one of those going out, I've never noticed!

Having just found a video I see what you mean - I've been around these units since they were introduced and never noticed :D

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
To be fair, "Will the passengers intending to travel on this service please join the train now, as it's ready to leave" does create this sense of urgency, especially when you're frantically trying to find the platform in a London Terminal station.

The first time people hear it. Then they realise it happens a few minutes before the train goes, so next time they hear it at the doors they take it nice and easy!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh right - I shall have to keep a look out next time I see one of those going out, I've never noticed!

Having just found a video I see what you mean - I've been around these units since they were introduced and never noticed :D

Doors shut to protect carriage temperature: razor blades retracted.

Doors shut to allow rain to depart: razor blades extended.

Simples.

Sadly I never heard back from Siemens when I suggested this at the ExCeL demo of the Desiro City...

Last edited:

Happened in Newcastle with a 185. Yes it has been established that the inexperienced (at least with the stock anyway but) conductor failed to despatch the train correctly. However, the fact a woman was able to become trapped in the doors with the doors closed and interlocked around her wrist is still quite comcerning. 185 doors will bounce open on the first time an obstacle is detected, but will attempt to close a second time and go for interlock. Wether this is unique to 185's or a design flaw with the desiro fleet remains to be seen, but as they passed legislation at the time of introduction, i dont think anyone is overly keen or concerned to investigate further......

The 380 doors used to follow the above when encountering an obstruction. They did a software update about 2 years ago which means if a door encounters an obstruction it attempts to close a second time and if still obstructed it opens and stays open. The driver then has to release the doors again and closing them again to gain interlock.

Parallel

Established Member
The first time people hear it. Then they realise it happens a few minutes before the train goes, so next time they hear it at the doors they take it nice and easy!

Hmm - I'm not sure which TOCs use this station announcement but I know ATW do occasionally. The issue is some of the announcements are so long (very long calling patterns, Welsh and then English at some stations), the train has sometimes departed a good two minutes before the end of the announcement, e.g. "Platform 7B for the 16:40 Arriva Trains Wales service to Milford Haven, which is ready to leave."

If a train has dwell time at the station, it probably would help a couple of minutes before departure, to move passengers who just see the train's departure time, (not the arrival time.)

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Our automated announcements do not announce whilst the door are open.

axlecounter

I've seen work quite well: a welcome message on the train (that can be heard outside too) just 30sec before departure time and a driver-triggered "stand clear of the doors" when needed.
People got used to the fact that the welcome message means a very near departure and usually jump on board as soon as they hear the jingle.
This added to the fact that the "stand clear" message is used only when someone is really blocking the doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.