• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers complaining about no seats available on busiest trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If you had a set of core hours, say 11 to 3, or whatever - you could then stagger the hours around so some people start at 8, 9 or 10 and finish accordingly. Thus, rush hour is spread out more but you still have times where everyone can be reached.

Many companies operating flexi time already do this, although staff choose their own start and end times.

Staggered lunch breaks would also reduce the crushes in local cafes, restaurants and sandwich shops etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascot

Established Member
You'll find that most companies are moving away from flex as you find many workers taking advantage of the system.

Agile working only works to a certain extent as most desk jockies are, in some shape or form, restricted to data input or case workers who need to work physically as a team and do need supervision. (Lync doesn't quite cut it).

Either way, flex time means the office gradually walks out between 16:00 and 17:00 as opposed to one office leaving at 16:00 one at 16:30 etc.. which, given half hourly services on the railway, means there's still the same amount of people on each train.

Don't forget the 16:13 is cancelled due to driver shortage so people who left at 4 to catch that now have to hang around for 30 mins before their colleagues join them on the 16:43 who got .50 more credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tunster

I'm unsure of history sakes, but surely the mistake to not consider double decker carriages (such like I've seen in Germany) on new lines has played a big part in infrastructure?

Is there any reason why BR didn't consider this or government didn't think about the growth of population in this country?

Just curious. I loved the double decker trains I used in Berlin. Comfortable, relaxing and efficient (especially the ticket system who puts the responsibility on the customer to purchase the right ticket).

tbtc

Veteran Member
I'm unsure of history sakes, but surely the mistake to not consider double decker carriages (such like I've seen in Germany) on new lines has played a big part in infrastructure?

Is there any reason why BR didn't consider this or government didn't think about the growth of population in this country?

I've only used the Canadian ones, so cannot comment on Germany's version.

However, we've not had many new lines (apart from HS1) - re-opened lines in my lifetime have been extensions of existing routes and there'd be no point in having double decker trains on the Ebbw Vale branch when any services on that branch would need to run on the existing line into Cardiff (which wouldn't be capable of accommodating such tall trains).

It would only work on a brand new dedicated line, like the HS2 plans.

Dave1987

On Moderation

Just curious. I loved the double decker trains I used in Berlin. Comfortable, relaxing and efficient (especially the ticket system who puts the responsibility on the customer to purchase the right ticket).

Loading gauge in the UK means you can't have double deckers on current lines.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Loading gauge in the UK means you can't have double deckers on current lines.

Well you can (see here) but they're small and cramped. Though as W10 clearance spreads there may eventually be a chance of introducing it on some routes, however, it remains unlikely both in the near future and in the future generally if I'm being honest.

Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
Could they not build HS2 to Double decker guage? i love the dutch Double Decker trains there fantastic pieces of kit (although the trains to Amsterdam Centraal where mainly full of brits pretending they where ok to sit in first with second class tickets and then pretending they where johnny Foreigner)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought it was being built to a suitable gauge for double-deck trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.