• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers forced to cross tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LairaDepot

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16362936.passengers-forced-to-cross-tracks-to-exit/#comments-anchor

TRAPPED train passengers were furious after a train pulled into the wrong platform with no exit but across the train tracks.

The late night c2c line from London Fenchurch Street to Shoebury arrived at platform one of Chalkwell station, where passengers were stuck due to refurbishment work taking place on the footbridge.

The exit on the platform was also locked, leaving passengers feeling they had no choice but to cross the railway line to the other side.

Dave Collins, 52 of Nelson Road, Westcliff was stranded at the platform with his wife after the trained pulled in at 12.40am.

He said: “I do not know why they decided to drop us on that side of the platform.

“We arrived and were completely stuck on the platform, the driver came out and looked to see what had happened, he went back into his carriage to call somebody from c2c, but we were stuck there for ages.

“It is ridiculous, I do not know how they expect anybody to get out of the station.

“We just decided to walk across the tracks to get across the platform.

“It was very dangerous, if somebody with a disability or a small child had to cross those tracks and a train came, who knows what could happen.”

Following the incident, c2c confirmed it will be investigating to ensure it does not happen again.

The rail provider accepted full responsibility for the error.

A spokesman for c2c said: “We’re very sorry for the confusion and delay caused to these customers at Chalkwell.

“This was entirely our fault, with a breakdown in communication on our part resulting in the Platform 1 exits being locked too early.

“Our control centre contacted our staff on site at Chalkwell, who then re-opened the Platform 1 exits for the following trains that night.

“Every platform has an emergency help point for the public, which is located next to the stairs at Chalkwell, and provides a direct link to this 24/7 control room.

“No-one should go on the railway tracks at any time.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder if the driver arranged line blocks in anticipation of people crossing the line?

PeterC

Established Member
I hadn't realised that the line there was bi-directional. Sounds as if the station were told that all trains would use the down line and then trains were sent on the up instead.

sw1ller

Established Member
That late at night, is it still too busy to do a shunt and get it on the right platform? There’s obviously points nearby to get you to that platform. Shouldn’t have been a massive issue.

EDIT. I’ve just looked at the layout on Tracksy and it seems the points are quite a way off at other stations. Not so simple I suppose.

nidave

Ooops - try being mroe sarcastic in your reply wont you next time. It wasnt quite enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.