• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers refused onto Virgin Train at Glasgow Central [GLC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
which passes right in between platforms 5 and 6, from where you can see pretty much all of the platforms..

And even allowing for that if it hadn't stopped how would a passenger on a train passing through know which passengers on which platform were travelling to London?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jaigee

From what Optimo has said it sounds like the service made an non-timetabled call at Crewe. If the train didn't stop at Crewe it would have gone around the station, not through it so Optimo wouldn't have been able to see how many passengers were waiting.

I thought most of the non-stop Pendos used the the centre lines between platforms 5 & 6?

kylemore

If you were Virgin and you had hundreds of passengers at Crewe, many of which are already delayed due to the number of Liverpool-London cancellations and all available crews were working services, what would you do in the situation?

One option for getting passengers out of Glasgow but leaving space available south of Warrington would be to divert Glasgow-London passengers who have just turned up without reservations via Manchester and Stoke but it would be very difficult to implement unless you made them board TPE services at Glasgow.

Fair enough if there were hundreds involved but they turned away penny numbers that would have made very little difference at Crewe, but seriously inconvienienced the few punters turned away.
Looks like a case of somebody panicking, over-reacting and making a stupid decision.

D1009

Established Member
Before rushing into criticism, let’s get a few facts right. A derailment of an engineering train at Winsford, see

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60841

caused a blockage of the WCML affecting Virgin Trains between Euston - Liverpool, Euston - Glasgow and Birningham – Glasgow/Edinburgh, also LM Birmingham – Liverpool. The first northbound train to pass Winsford was 1S67 1225 Euston – Glasgow at 1525, and the first southbound was 1A46 1448 Liverpool – Euston at 1545.

Therefore there were no direct trains between Crewe and Preston before this apart from a special Voyager which ran a 1Z01 1132 Crewe to Preston and
1Z02 1300 return via Chester. The first train from Preston through Winsford was 1M13 1242 Glasgow to Euston which started from Preston at 15.12.

Other than this trains from the north terminated at Preston and those from the South at Crewe, with the sets used to form restarted trains north and south respectively.

I surmise that most people from Preston were sent forward via Manchester, but between Preston and Manchester capacity is limited, so there could well have been a backlog of unhappy people decanted from Glasgow and other trains at Preston unwilling or unable to get on TPE trains to Manchester.

Therefore when 1M14 1336 and 1M15 1436 Glasgow to Euston left Glasgow they would have done so in the expectation that the line would reopen, but at that point it was still blocked. My guess is that VT control would have known about the situation at Preston, and Glasgow may have been told to limit the numbers joining so as to leave room for said backlog of people and to spread the load to allow services to return to normal more smoothly.

The reason for the Crewe stop would have been that the preceding train
1M57 1355 Glasgow to Birmingham started from Preston, so 1M15 would have provided a connection from Glasgow to Birmingham.

So yes it may have eventually proved to be a wrong decision, but was taken without the benefit of hindsight.

Wath Yard

You start your post saying let's get a few facts right, and then go on to surmise and guess. So a lot of it isn't factual but just an opinion and a defence of the staff involved.

D1009

Established Member
So what's wrong with defending the staff involved ? Other people were crircising them without knowing anything about why the decision was made.

VTPreston_Tez

Therefore there were no direct trains between Crewe and Preston before this apart from a special Voyager which ran a 1Z01 1132 Crewe to Preston and
1Z02 1300 return via Chester. The first train from Preston through Winsford was 1M13 1242 Glasgow to Euston which started from Preston at 15.12.

Stations called? Seems interesting.

D1009

Established Member
Stations called? Seems interesting.

Warrington and Wigan, and obviously Chester to reverse, though I expect the doors wouldn't have been released. I doubt whether VT drivers sign Chester - Warrington, so they'd have neaded a route conductor.

It is not right to inconvienance other people just to deal with another inconvienance

kylemore

Oh come on, turning away a handful of punters at Glasgow was gonna make a difference hours later at Crewe!?
Forget hindsight my own guess is that the staff at Glasgow knew what they were doing was daft but they had to be seen to be doing what the controller said - which is probably why they let the guy through eventually.
:lol:

sheff1

Established Member
"it's all about health and safety"

When you hear those words you can almost guarantee that the person uttering them is unable to give a rational explanation as to why they are wanting to prevent you doing something.

Eagle

Established Member
"it's all about health and safety"

When you hear those words you can almost guarantee that the person uttering them is unable to give a rational explanation as to why they are wanting to prevent you doing something.

And usually that the person has no idea of the actual health and safety regulations. I bet employees at the Health and Safety Executive shudder every time someone says that somewhere.

sbt

And usually that the person has no idea of the actual health and safety regulations. I bet employees at the Health and Safety Executive shudder every time someone says that somewhere.

Having talked to the head H&S guy at my organisation, so does he. He agrees with me that using 'Elf and Safty' as an excuse brings real Health and Safety into disrepute, damaging an organisations H&S culture and leading people to disregard rules that are there for perfectly valid reasons which they, personally, at that moment can't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.