• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers thinking they can use Oyster PAYG beyond the PAYG area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
Group of teenagers waving oyster cards at the g4s barrier on Platform 14 at MAN. And getting through, of course :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
A lady had trouble using her Oyster at Hatfield yesterday, but luckily for her she was trying to get IN to the station, not out.

It was funny when she said she'd used it without any problems earlier to get to Hatfield (so I guess the gates were open) and the staff told her she'd been very lucky. As she was repeatedly trying to touch her Oyster on the reader (which doesn't have the Oyster logo but is still quite obvious as a reader) I am pretty sure she was totally genuine, and probably thought she'd touched out earlier. I guess the maximum cash fare will prove otherwise later!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Glasgow Subway Entrance, Today.

Continental Lady: Excuse me, can I use my Oyster here?

I almost laughed out loud. :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
Of course, ignoring the technical issues, why shouldn't she be able to use it there?

I do think a lot of people living rather sheltered lives in the capital (as you can do when everything you need is local) might assume Oyster is a way to pay for travel everywhere.

But for those who know, I can certainly imagine smirking myself too!

Status
Not open for further replies.