• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

passengers who stand when there are seats available

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I always choose to sit/ stand in the vestibule because I don't like it in the coach...Hooray Henries, crying babies, teenagers talking rubbish, drunks, folks shouting into their phones, etc...

How dare the public use public transport! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LWB

Oh for the days when trains had guards who had guardy type carriages with acres of room inside a cage. Always sat on my luggage in there if available.

Oops; Despite what I posted earlier :oops:

(I would far rather stand for two hours than travel in a cage)

Last edited:

QJ

For me the reason to stand in the vestibule is simple. I don't want to get trapped on a wedged train at an intermediate stop that I wish to alight at.

Last time I took a seat on a train (forgetting about the great Reading festival unwashed) I ended up 36 miles further than where I wanted to get off.

I usually take great delight in barging people out of the way and trampling on their luggage (nicely of course) to escape if they don't move but there are limits even for me.:roll:

Train jaune

Getting the afternoon TPE departures from Manchester Piccadilly to Edinburgh you find that loads of the seats are reserved so everyone is crammed into the vestibules. It's only by about Bolton people start to realise that these reserved passenger will never turn up for the seats

Silv1983

On the 8:45 Heaton Chapel to Manchester Piccadilly in the front coach of a 323. Just counted 20 seats, approx 15 standing in the vestibules. Some of the seats are aisle seats aswell and everyone's alighting at Picc. Love the Great British Public.

twysta

I work for LUL and won't sit when in uniform as I couldn't stand people thinking I'm being cheeky for taking a seat and not paying a fare. When travelling around the LU network in my own time, I have no problems standing as I live in central London and won't be on the train for more than 15 minutes.

swj99

Maybe they're got chalfonts, or a bad back and it hurts to sit down.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I would say some of these mystical standees on a 158 caused us to miss a train from Stockport on Saturday in the GM challenge!

Last edited:

Cruithne3753

...And what's with people who stand in the way of the fold down seats? If they want to stand, why block it for others?

TUC

Established Member
The guard on the 1715 Leeds to Selby tonight is doing a very efficient job of stopping passengers needlessly blocking the entrance and asking them to move down the train.

pemma

Veteran Member
The guard on the 1715 Leeds to Selby tonight is doing a very efficient job of stopping passengers needlessly blocking the entrance and asking them to move down the train.

TPE have an automated announcement apologising for the insufficient number of seats and then asking standing passengers to move as far down the train as possible rather than staying near the doors.

AndyLandy

Established Member
TPE have an automated announcement apologising for the insufficient number of seats and then asking standing passengers to move as far down the train as possible rather than staying near the doors.

It says a lot about their service if they've invested in an announcement for that... <(

johntea

Established Member
TPE used to declassify First Class in particular between Leeds and Huddersfield at peak times but apparently the eggheads at the top have clamped down on it now!

In fact, on a particularly busy service the conductor booted anyone inside First Class without the relevant ticketing back out into the crush! :lol:

Flamingo

Established Member
Given that people standing alongside the bar, in certain corridors etc cause an obstruction, would there be any advantage in putting a "No Standing" area, and enforcing it at bottlenecks?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I like the smell of toilets

That's your defence for hanging around in them, then? You are George Michael and I claim my £10 :lol:

pemma

Veteran Member
Given that people standing alongside the bar, in certain corridors etc cause an obstruction, would there be any advantage in putting a "No Standing" area, and enforcing it at bottlenecks?

Northern Rail trains have no bar but on some trains a lot of the passengers have been in a bar. :roll:

pemma

Veteran Member
On many TOCs that'd be seen as being lenient.

Yep if you're in FC with a standard class ticket and FC hasn't been declassified then the conductor is entitled to charge you the difference between the standard fare and first class fare and there may be a penalty fare on top of that under some TOCs.

Flamingo

Established Member
Of course, telling the passengers to move down further in STD class to get away from the crush is seen as unreasonable by some people...

FGW_DID

Established Member
Of course, telling the passengers to move down further in STD class to get away from the crush is seen as unreasonable by some people...

That's because they would then have to walk more then 10ft to the platform exit!
Any further then that and they expect you to summon four station staff with a sedan chair to whisk them to their car :p

Yew

Established Member
Northern Rail trains have no bar but on some trains a lot of the passengers have been in a bar. :roll:

Thats the TPE real ale trains :D

PS: Also, just a thought, but why not try out travelators on terminus platforms?

Flamingo

Established Member
That's because they would then have to walk more then 10ft to the platform exit!
Any further then that and they expect you to summon four station staff with a sedan chair to whisk them to their car :p

Five - you've forgotten the one to fan them after their exertions climbing into the chair! :lol:

atolepnauj

I used to make regular trips from Bristol to Swindon during the heatwave. Standing by the open window was amazing ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.