• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passing Through Zone 1 on a 2-5 Travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
You can do that, but you will be charged extra, as the system has no fare defined for such a cumbersome route. You can call the Oyster helpline after the journey to get the charge reimbursed.

Not on a paper travelcard they won't!

There is no need to call BB21 bald! :lol:

Oh and the reason is because it would be a stupid thing to do as it would be illegal and anyone taking your 'advice' could end up with a fine and a criminal record if caught! :roll:

bald
bɔːld
adjective
having a scalp wholly or partly lacking hair.
"he was starting to go bald"
synonyms: hairless, bald-headed, smooth; More
antonyms: hairy
(of an animal) not covered by the usual fur, hair, or feathers.
"hedgehogs are born bald"
(of a plant or an area of land) not covered by the usual leaves, bark, or vegetation.
"the bald trunks with their empty branches"
synonyms: leafless, bare, uncovered, stark More
antonyms: lush
(of a tyre) having the tread worn away.
"the Nissan had two bald tyres"
without any extra detail or explanation; plain or blunt.
"the bald statement in the preceding paragraph requires amplification"
synonyms: plain, simple, unadorned, unvarnished, unembellished, undisguised, unveiled, stark, severe, austere, brutal, harsh;

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GodAtum

On Moderation
West Croydon - Haggerston = £4.60
West Croydon - Shoreditch High Street = £4.60

so same price ...

paddington

A paper ticket could be rejected by the barriers for doughnutting, if the barriers are programmed properly.

Do paper travelcards record the last time they were inserted into barriers?

How would the barrier know if the passenger left and re-entered the system through ungated stations?

I have encountered RPIs on all modes of Oyster transport (except ferry), weekdays, Sat and Sun, in the morning, afternoon and evening, except that I have never seen an RPI on any deep tube trains - they wait at the gates and check people exiting the station

PermitToTravel

Established Member
They do indeed :)
How would the barrier know if the passenger left and re-entered the system through ungated stations?
This is an unlikely situation, but is possible. In such a situation the passenger would need to be let out manually, adding a few seconds to their journey. The rejections can be logged, and CCTV analysed, to look for patterns at stations / identify people constantly getting stopped in this way, and investigate their travel habits.
I have encountered RPIs on all modes of Oyster transport (except ferry), weekdays, Sat and Sun, in the morning, afternoon and evening, except that I have never seen an RPI on any deep tube trains - they wait at the gates and check people exiting the station
I have been checked on an LU train, but agree that LU RPIs are far more commonly seen at gatelines and in station connecting passageways.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Underground Revenue Control Inspectors have devices in which a ticket can be swiped which details, amongst other information, the last station it passed through the gates at.

Status
Not open for further replies.