• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Past, present & future London Tube trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello. I'm not sure if there's an actual thread about the past, present and future London Underground (Tube) trains. Assuming there isn't, I thought it'd be nice to start a thread. I know I started one on preserved sets.

My first trip on a London Tube train was Saturday 30th September 2006 with my sister, Michelle, from Paddington to Oxford Circus. I don't live in London but have used the Underground a good number of times.

For me thankfully, to get to the Underground there's Didcot Parkway or Oxford with good services to Ealing Broadway (from Didcot), London Paddington or London Marylebone.

Since the 27th April / mid May this year, I've really grown fond of (or rather fallen in love with) the current Bakerloo Line 1972 stock. They have that classic look about them, are my favourite and for me are much preferable for longer trips on the Underground than newer stock! This is because they feature forward-facing seats when available.

Yes they're not exactly the quietest of trains but just like us no trains are 100% perfect !

I know 99.9% about the New Tube for London (NTfL) too. The trains in the YouTube NTfL video that have square windows look the ideal replacement for the Bakerloo 1972 and Piccadilly 1973 stock!

I'm not sure about the other lines but I believe the 1972 stock will be withdrawn from Bakerloo Line services in 15 years time when they will be 61 years old. I hope one will be preserved. Either way, it means 15 more years of these trains & making the most of forward facing seats :). I think it'll be sad day when these go.

The stock new from the 1990's and late 2000's is good I think!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
I know 99.9% about the New Tube for London (NTfL) too. The trains in the YouTube NTfL video that have square windows look the ideal replacement for the Bakerloo 1972 and Piccadilly 1973 stock!
The award of the contract to Siemens has been challenged by Bombardier / Hitachi. Until this is resolved I don't think anyone can be sure they "known 99.9% about the New Tube for London"

LeeLivery

Established Member
The award of the contract to Siemens has been challenged by Bombardier / Hitachi. Until this is resolved I don't think anyone can be sure they "known 99.9% about the New Tube for London"

It's been resolved. Siemens will manufacture them.

Bucephalus

Without veering too far into speculative ideas territory, I would like to see replicas (or near-replicas) of classic tube stock built to modern standards. Maybe one per line as a sort of "where's wally" style easter egg.

Maybe at least when tfl are not running a deficit. Could be an off-peak earner if anything

class387

Established Member
Without veering too far into speculative ideas territory, I would like to see replicas (or near-replicas) of classic tube stock built to modern standards. Maybe one per line as a sort of "where's wally" style easter egg.

Maybe at least when tfl are not running a deficit. Could be an off-peak earner if anything
That might be a bit expensive, but a current train refurbished to a 'retro' style would be cheaper and a nice touch. There used to be a 1959 stock in 1938 stock colours and they also do this is Tokyo so it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.