• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Past rolling stock Birmingham - Aberystwyth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I was recently thinking about the first long train journey I undertook, which was London Euston - Birmingham New Street - Aberystwyth back in the early 90s.

Euston - Birmingham was definitely on the HST. Would I be right in thinking that Birmingham - Aberystwyth would have been a Class 150 Sprinter? The Regional Railways livery with the running man logo on the side does seem very familiar.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Class 150/1s certainly were staple traction on the Cambrian line for some years during Provincial/Regional Railways days. In the early to mid nineties, even the emerald green Centro liveried units could often be found on the route, well away from their intended territory.

Euston - Birmingham by HST sounds unusual though: As far as I am aware, during the early nineties Intercity's West Coast sector only utilised a handful of HST sets, sourced from the Great Western fleet at Old Oak Common, for Euston - Holyhead services. Euston - Birmingham services were typically in the hands of West Coast's fleet of class 86, 87 and 90 electric locomotives and mark 2 and mark 3 push-pull carriage sets. There was a through Euston - Aberystwyth Intercity service which operated under the guise of "The Cambrian Coast Express", but by the time of it's demise in 1991 I think that this too consisted of a standard West Coast mark 2 rake (never having been HST worked AFAIK), class 37 hauled beyond the limit of electrification at Wolverhampton (During the late eighties it seems to have been well known for regularly bringing a rake of Network Southeast liveried mark 1s to Mid-Wales, pilfered from Northampton 'Cobbler' services on Summer Saturdays).

The page linked below gives some examples of typical Cambrian line services in the late eighties to early nineties. At the beginning of the nineties there also appear to have been some class 37 hauled local trains over the route on summer Saturdays, in keeping with other pockets of Provincial/Regional Railways loco-hauled operation around Britain during this period:
http://www.penmorfa.com/Archive/eight.htm

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I travelled to Aberystwyth in 1987 on a 150/1 in the original two-tone blue livery. The next time I used the route in 1992 I went out on a summer Saturday extra, two Dutch livery 31s hauling early Mk2s (it may have gone up the coast as I only went as far as Mach). I came back on a 158.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
In the 1970's you had (at best) class 120 Cross County sets on key workingss , but more often Met Camm or the dire Park Royal. Class 25 LHCS at weekends in summer on London services (1 each way)

Trust me - today's 158's are wonderful.

gg1

Established Member
There was a through Euston - Aberystwyth Intercity service which operated under the guise of "The Cambrian Coast Express", but by the time of it's demise in 1991 I think that this too consisted of a standard West Coast mark 2 rake (never having been HST worked AFAIK), class 37 hauled beyond the limit of electrification at Wolverhampton (During the late eighties it seems to have been well known for regularly bringing a rake of Network Southeast liveried mark 1s to Mid-Wales, pilfered from Northampton 'Cobbler' services on Summer Saturdays).

I'm not 100% sure but I think that in the late 80s/early 90s the service may have had 2 loco changes, a 47 from Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury then a 37 to Aberystwyth.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Here are a couple of pictures from my Cambrian travels during the 1991- 94 period,

The first is a Centro livered class 150/1 at Machynlleth working an evening Aberystwyth-Birmingham N S service during July 1994, the second shows prototype class 150/0 at Shrewsbury on a Aberystwyth service during 1991.

Attachments

• IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Merthyr Imp

I can give some details of my few journeys over that line:

August 1980 - Class 120 dmu Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth and return.

June 1982 - Travelled behind double-headed Class 25s from Wolverhampton as far as Welshpool which was a Euston to Aberystwyth service. Returned the same day behind the same pairing on what my notes say was an Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury service.

August 1982 - Class 120 dmu which was part of an 8-car formation - probably including another Class 120 and something else - on a Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth service (I changed at Machynlleth).

July 1983 - Class 120 dmu on a Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth service (I went as far as Welshpool). Returned on a similar unit to Shrewsbury.

September 1988 - A Birmingham to Aberystwyth service which I joined at Shrewsbury - 150253 plus two other Class 150s (didn't record if they were 150/1 or 150/2). Returned from Aberystwyth on 150150 all the way to Birmingham.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I saw the Cambrian Coast Express one summer Saturday at Shrewsbury in 1991 and from what I can remember it was Mark 2's hauled by a Class 37. I may have got it wrong. It was a long time ago and I only took a passing interests in loco's in those days.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I'm not 100% sure but I think that in the late 80s/early 90s the service may have had 2 loco changes, a 47 from Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury then a 37 to Aberystwyth.

Usually one loco change at Wolves. 37's were used towards the end of the through services - hauling a standard class portion only - with the first and buffet attached at Wolves by the electric changeover loco.

Class 150/1s certainly were staple traction on the Cambrian line for some years during Provincial/Regional Railways days. In the early to mid nineties, even the emerald green Centro liveried units could often be found on the route, well away from their intended territory.

Euston - Birmingham by HST sounds unusual though: As far as I am aware, during the early nineties Intercity's West Coast sector only utilised a handful of HST sets, sourced from the Great Western fleet at Old Oak Common, for Euston - Holyhead services. Euston - Birmingham services were typically in the hands of West Coast's fleet of class 86, 87 and 90 electric locomotives and mark 2 and mark 3 push-pull carriage sets. There was a through Euston - Aberystwyth Intercity service which operated under the guise of "The Cambrian Coast Express", but by the time of it's demise in 1991 I think that this too consisted of a standard West Coast mark 2 rake (never having been HST worked AFAIK), class 37 hauled beyond the limit of electrification at Wolverhampton (During the late eighties it seems to have been well known for regularly bringing a rake of Network Southeast liveried mark 1s to Mid-Wales, pilfered from Northampton 'Cobbler' services on Summer Saturdays).

The page linked below gives some examples of typical Cambrian line services in the late eighties to early nineties. At the beginning of the nineties there also appear to have been some class 37 hauled local trains over the route on summer Saturdays, in keeping with other pockets of Provincial/Regional Railways loco-hauled operation around Britain during this period:
http://www.penmorfa.com/Archive/eight.htm

Thanks for the link. It's always great to see the Cambrian Line. It's a very picturesque journey, particularly at Dovey Junction.

A direct service would have been very useful. I think the first time I made this journey was about 1993. Could have been 1992. Either way, too late for the direct service. Changing at New Street always seemed dark, dingy and problematic back then. We sometimes travelled with my disabled aunt who really struggled with stairs. I think once a porter took us in the (goods?) lift – the staff were always brilliant. Saying that, I was only 9/10 at the time, so it may have been a much better experience as an adult! I really need to have a look at the new New Street – it looks very good indeed.

Having used pics to jog my memory, I think the London – Birmingham train was most probably a Class 90.

Here are a couple of pictures from my Cambrian travels during the 1991- 94 period,

The first is a Centro livered class 150/1 at Machynlleth working an evening Aberystwyth-Birmingham N S service during July 1994, the second shows prototype class 150/0 at Shrewsbury on a Aberystwyth service during 1991.

Thanks for these. Always great to see pics.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Coming from London - change at International to get the seat of your dreams !

Coming back - change at Wolves for the starter and maybe step a train for a visit to the excellent Great Western for cheese and onion cobs and Black Country bitter.

(as I do)

iantherev

Tyseley Class 116s were not unknown on a summer Saturday in the early 80s. If you were lucky you got a loo in the middle coach!

iantherev

In the 1970's you had (at best) class 120 Cross County sets on key workingss , but more often Met Camm or the dire Park Royal. Class 25 LHCS at weekends in summer on London services (1 each way)

Trust me - today's 158's are wonderful.

Class 108s were also regular but I agree with you - the 103s were dire.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Class 108s were also regular but I agree with you - the 103s were dire.

I have a memory of the 0520 off Aber , midwinter 1977 - no heat at all with ice forming on the insides ..went to see the guard to remonstrate to find this poor soul in the arctic wilderness of the brakevan , with his red and green flags used as extra layers of clothing.

Never has the buffet at Salop been so welcome. It was of course a trashy Park Royal. Chester Control used to allocate the sets , so the better DMU's were kept local and the Cambrian got the dross.

muddythefish

On Moderation
I'm old enough to remember the Cambrian Coast Express in the 1960s hauled by Manors complete with restaurant car service. The 1970s and 80s were fun too with class 25s in charge. If only I had a time machine....

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm old enough to remember the Cambrian Coast Express in the 1960s hauled by Manors complete with restaurant car service. The 1970s and 80s were fun too with class 25s in charge. If only I had a time machine....

Could I buy some space in that time machine please, if there's any available? :)

Whistler40145

Established Member
I've heard stories of the days when 24s and 25s worked on the Cambrian Coast, drivers would be keeping their fingers crossed that the locos would make it up Talerdigg on the outward run, it would be amazing if they made it back.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've heard stories of the days when 24s and 25s worked on the Cambrian Coast, drivers would be keeping their fingers crossed that the locos would make it up Talerdigg on the outward run, it would be amazing if they made it back.

Definitely, and then tackling it on the way back with 10/12 mk1s and a dead classmate that had given up en route. Quite amazing really.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I heard a story that in the 1970s it was normal (but very unofficial) practice for a Machynlleth-based Met-Camm power twin DMU to be used to shunt the milk sidings there, including drawing out long rakes of loaded milk tankers. Anyone else know of this?

Bevan Price

Established Member
I have a memory of the 0520 off Aber , midwinter 1977 - no heat at all with ice forming on the insides ..went to see the guard to remonstrate to find this poor soul in the arctic wilderness of the brakevan , with his red and green flags used as extra layers of clothing.

Never has the buffet at Salop been so welcome. It was of course a trashy Park Royal. Chester Control used to allocate the sets , so the better DMU's were kept local and the Cambrian got the dross.

Sadly incorrect - I can assure you that the Manchester - North Wales services had an equally dire mixture of DMUs from the late 1960s for the following 15 - 20 years, only relieved by a few loco hauled sets, mostly on summer saturdays.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Tyseley Class 116s were not unknown on a summer Saturday in the early 80s. If you were lucky you got a loo in the middle coach!

I seem to recall it more being the 3-car 101s (TS401 etc) I'd seen heading off on the Cambrian, although I'm not arguing that the 116s didn't as well.

In 1992, I had 156422 into Aberystwyth and 156423 out later that day.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Definitely, and then tackling it on the way back with 10/12 mk1s and a dead classmate that had given up en route. Quite amazing really.

They used to run a special for the Smithfield show with 2x25's - it failed completely on the return at Talerddig - on a Sat night , the nearest loco was probably at Crewe, - luckily tere were some (sober) off duty drivers at Aber and some DMU's so they coupled them up - went to the rescue , and having detrained the passengers in what must have seemed like the middle of the night , got them home (eventually)

The demic was left there - fully protected - until sometime on the Sunday when it was dragged back to Mach.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I heard a story that in the 1970s it was normal (but very unofficial) practice for a Machynlleth-based Met-Camm power twin DMU to be used to shunt the milk sidings there, including drawing out long rakes of loaded milk tankers. Anyone else know of this?

Probably diesel tanks for the depot......OK , if done carefully !

Welshman

Established Member

I, too, remember the Cambrian Coast Express!!

I used in in early 1967 for a journey from West Yorkshire to Aberystwyth, with the intention of then getting a bus to Lampeter for an interview for admission to the college there.

The "Express" was over an hour late at Shrewsbury due to problems earlier down the GW main line, and after a very slow journey, I missed the last bus from Aber to Lampeter [which departed then about 5pm!]. I managed to thumb a lift to Aberaeron and on to Lampeter, arriving at St David's college very late and after the last serving of dinner!

I spent a hungry, and mainly sleepless night at the college, and, not surprisingly, failed my interview the following morning! It mattered very little, though, because by then I was determined that Lampeter was the last place I wanted to study!

Last edited:

Pyreneenguy

Could I buy some space in that time machine please, if there's any available? :)

I remember- but only just - travelling to Butlin's at Pen-y-Chain from Birkenhead Woodside, via Chester, Caernarvon and Afon Wen ! It was always a great pleasure to go and see the Cambrian Coast Express passing-through. The camp was split in two by the railway and there was a bridge joining the two halves. The Afon Wen - Caernarvon line closed at the end of 1964.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Am I correct in thinking that by the mid-50s the London-Pwllheli coaches travelled via Bangor from Euston and the Cambrian Coast Express from Paddington conveyed portions for Aberystwyth and Barmouth only?

Veteran Member
No - not in 1959 for example. There was a Euston-Pwllheli service in high season, and the best Summer Saturday train from and to Paddington ran via Ruabon-Barmouth Junction (Morfa Mawddach), but there was a daily service via Machynlleth as well.

The summer Saturday Cambrian Coast Express had a portion that started at Barmouth Junction, but there was still one train from Pwllheli by each route.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.