• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pathfinder - Hampshire Hotpotch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I have recently booked on Pathfinder Tours Hampshire Hotpotch, which is booked for a pair of DRS 20s, assisted by a DRS 37 for Southampton Eastern & Western Docks. DRS is operating the tour for Pathfinder.

Will the stock used for this tour be some of the stock used on the Sellafield trains?

What is the current status of DRS's Class 20 Fleet?

Are any of their fleet the 75 mph locos?

Does DRS have any 37s out based in the Southampton area?

Any help with the above questions will be greatly appreciated.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wo1lo3

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
This is quite a massive generalisation (I think), but most PF tours I have ever been on have used Mark 1 coaching stock.

Edit - I should add I'm not sure if that's the situation for all the tours, plus I'm not sure whose coaching stock they use.

Why are you bothered about what's on it anyway, the track's much more important :P

Last edited:

junglejames

Established Member
I dont know for sure, but are DRS really operating the train? Its often DB running the train, but hiring in DRS traction. Do DB have 20s on their safety case?

Coaching stock is more than likely going to be Riviera Mk1s as always. With Pathfinder owned by Riviera, and with Riviera stock having to be hired in seperate even if its DB operating the train, it will make little difference if it is DRS. DRS have often used Riviera stock, so there wouldnt be a problem there I wouldnt think.

Dont DRS often have the odd loco sitting around Eastleigh? Sound feasible?

junglejames

Established Member
Yes DRS are operating the train. It says so on the Pathfinder website.

So it does. Still pretty sure it'll be Riviera Mk1s. Same as always. They will need a genny van anyway, and dont think DRS have one of them in their fleet of Mk2s.

37 will surely be one sitting around at Eastleigh, unless they decide to keep it on the back from Crewe.

junglejames

Established Member
junglejames, I wasn't sure whether DRS would provide the whole package (traction, stock & crew), that's the reason I was asking.

Yeah i guessed. DRS dont have the necessary stock though, so it will be a simple(ish) case of changing TOC and traction provider.

GearJammer

Im looking forward to this, i shall be going to the docks to grab some pics, will be interesting to see how far into the western docks you go, the train may stop at the container loading/unloading point or it may carry on down to the cruise terminal... or, it may well go down all the way to 105 berth to the buffer stop!
I shall try and get into the eastern dock as well but dunno if security well let me in there, then i should have just enough time to get to Portchester to watch the train pass by there, never seen 20's at my home town before.

lets hope the weather is nice.

yummy125

I'm booked on this tour as not done the East Docks side or round Eastleigh, it better not get cancelled. :D

theblackwatch

Established Member
Not doing the depot loop now according to the PF website. Quote:
"Instead, we hope to visit another railway establishment in the area, subject to final details being agreed by all parties involved."

Eastleigh Works perhaps? :)

GearJammer

Not doing the depot loop now according to the PF website. Quote:
"Instead, we hope to visit another railway establishment in the area, subject to final details being agreed by all parties involved."

Eastleigh Works perhaps? :)

Put ya money on either siemens depot at Northam or Freightliner Maritime terminal, then the locos can be run round ;)

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Maritime has the maintenance shed, shunters, reception roads (by Redbridge), possibly wagon repair, fuel road and a few loading roads with a moving overhead crane for loading/unloading.

Millbrook is located on the opposite side a bit further down, just before Millbrook station with I believe three through sidings and an overhead crane for loading/unloading. I would guess locos run light engine when terminating there or starting there to/from Maritime shed.

Been past it a few times, sometimes there's containers in Millbrook, sometimes it's dead.

yummy125

This is one of the reasons why i'm booked on the tour - to do the Eastleigh Diesel Depot loop, :( Typical that part is now cancelled.

Wonder if it is a NR / DB reason for peope not to see the wrecked Class 58 loco's there. I bet they cancel the East Docks side next week saying that Class 66 / 67 can't go over a Southampton road.

GearJammer

Maritime has the maintenance shed, shunters, reception roads (by Redbridge), possibly wagon repair, fuel road and a few loading roads with a moving overhead crane for loading/unloading.

Millbrook is located on the opposite side a bit further down, just before Millbrook station with I believe three through sidings and an overhead crane for loading/unloading. I would guess locos run light engine when terminating there or starting there to/from Maritime shed.

Been past it a few times, sometimes there's containers in Millbrook, sometimes it's dead.

Yes it just depends what time of day you pass there, good way to tell if there busy or not is to look for the trucks, if all the Freightliner trucks (there a mix of yellow and 7 liveried blue DAFs) are parked up then they don't have a lot on, if theres none about then there all over the docks collecting containers.
Rumors are they will close/mothball Millbrook when the new cranes start working over at Maritime, wether this happens or not will remain to be seen, i hope it stays open, i have many happy memories of working there.

Wath Yard

Wonder if it is a NR / DB reason for peope not to see the wrecked Class 58 loco's there. I bet they cancel the East Docks side next week saying that Class 66 / 67 can't go over a Southampton road.

67s have been to Southampton Eastern Docks, however I'm not sure of the relevance of whether 66s or 67s can go there or not to a tour with Class 20 / 37 haulage.

Drimnagh Road

This is one of the reasons why i'm booked on the tour - to do the Eastleigh Diesel Depot loop, :( Typical that part is now cancelled.

Wonder if it is a NR / DB reason for peope not to see the wrecked Class 58 loco's there.

No such issues when we went round with Spitfire in October

theblackwatch

Established Member
Pathfinders site now updated and it is now going to Eastleigh works.

Excellent, on the original itinerary I wasn't going to score any track but now I will. :D Well done to all who managed to organise this at short notice.

Chester025

So I assume a double run round will be necessary somewhere now then? Unless the return does Eastleigh - Fareham, which would be nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.